Is it too late to transfer? Should I? MVP --> HY Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Transfer?

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes: 50

GeePee

Silver

Re: Is it too late to transfer? Should I? MVP --> HY

Post by GeePee » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:11 pm

Don't go. As much as I'd look forward to meeting new people at H next year, top 1% at a T10 is perfect positioning -- something like top 10% would be much more appropriate for a transfer. Even at that level, it's not always the correct fit. Chances are, you have already made great connections with professors at UVA. Don't give that up. Start telling them that you're considering applying for clerkships, see if there's anything else you can do with them to foster the relationship (TA for them, research/writing, take more classes with them). This way, you'll have them activated and ready for applications in the spring.

Good luck and congratulations.

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:16 pm

GeePee wrote:Don't go. As much as I'd look forward to meeting new people at H next year, top 1% at a T10 is perfect positioning -- something like top 10% would be much more appropriate for a transfer. Even at that level, it's not always the correct fit. Chances are, you have already made great connections with professors at UVA. Don't give that up. Start telling them that you're considering applying for clerkships, see if there's anything else you can do with them to foster the relationship (TA for them, research/writing, take more classes with them). This way, you'll have them activated and ready for applications in the spring.

Good luck and congratulations.
Thanks!

And it sounds like that's basically the consensus, to stay. You're right; it's some of those relationships with the professors that I'd really, really hate to give up -- there's one professor in particular who I'm a research assistant for this summer, and I have a great relationship with her, and she's pretty well-known for really going to bat for her students. (I've already told her I want a clerkship like burning.)

Thanks for the advice. :)

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:34 am

itsirtou wrote:
schooner wrote:
I assumed my grades were going to be awful.

Er, they weren't. With one grade missing, I'm in the top 1% of my class right now at UVa.
By the way, kudos for this! I'm really curious - why the mismatch in expectation vs reality? Care to share your secrets to success? :)
Thanks! :) I came out of two of my exams feeling as though I'd done terrible -- in fact, after my evidence exam, I literally cried (I forgot to answer a question and had to really rush to get it done).

Haha I wish I had some secrets to success to share, because then I'd know what I'm doing right! Let's see --

1. I type monstrously fast, so I'm able to write usually around 28-30 pages for each of my exams. The only one I wrote way less for (Contracts) was because the professor basically told us he doesn't want long exams.

2. I do all my own outlines from scratch. I usually go through an E&E or a hornbook first and make a skeleton outline from that (I'm always really careful to only include things I know the professor has talked about); then I go through my notes and fill in my outline from that; and last I go through the book. That part takes the longest, but it's really worth it. (I still usually don't bother reading the notes after the cases though, lol.)

3. I honestly really backload my semesters; whether or not this is actually smart is probably debatable, but it worked for me, haha. The first two months I just read the cases, maybe brief if I feel like it's going to be particularly important or if I'm on call for that day. I have a lot of free time in the evenings and I watch a lot of netflix. The last two weeks before finals is when I really started working intensely.

4. I don't highlight things. I've found that, oddly enough, I tune things out when I highlight them -- it's as though once I start highlighting, my brain goes, "Oh, you've learned that -- done!" and I don't pay attention to what I'm reading. So I write notes in margins, but that's it.

5. I have an amazing study group -- I'm really lucky in that respect. We don't study during the semester, but when it comes to finals, we have 1-2 really intense study sessions that are great for me because they highlight where I don't know things.

Geez, that's all I can think of. I feel like 0% of that was helpful because the law school study process is so individualized, but I guess it worked for me, at least. :wink:
Damn, this is literally exactly what I do (except for the study group-- and I do highlight). Kudos, my friend, for being very successful.

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:55 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
itsirtou wrote:
schooner wrote:
I assumed my grades were going to be awful.

Er, they weren't. With one grade missing, I'm in the top 1% of my class right now at UVa.
By the way, kudos for this! I'm really curious - why the mismatch in expectation vs reality? Care to share your secrets to success? :)
Thanks! :) I came out of two of my exams feeling as though I'd done terrible -- in fact, after my evidence exam, I literally cried (I forgot to answer a question and had to really rush to get it done).

Haha I wish I had some secrets to success to share, because then I'd know what I'm doing right! Let's see --

1. I type monstrously fast, so I'm able to write usually around 28-30 pages for each of my exams. The only one I wrote way less for (Contracts) was because the professor basically told us he doesn't want long exams.

2. I do all my own outlines from scratch. I usually go through an E&E or a hornbook first and make a skeleton outline from that (I'm always really careful to only include things I know the professor has talked about); then I go through my notes and fill in my outline from that; and last I go through the book. That part takes the longest, but it's really worth it. (I still usually don't bother reading the notes after the cases though, lol.)

3. I honestly really backload my semesters; whether or not this is actually smart is probably debatable, but it worked for me, haha. The first two months I just read the cases, maybe brief if I feel like it's going to be particularly important or if I'm on call for that day. I have a lot of free time in the evenings and I watch a lot of netflix. The last two weeks before finals is when I really started working intensely.

4. I don't highlight things. I've found that, oddly enough, I tune things out when I highlight them -- it's as though once I start highlighting, my brain goes, "Oh, you've learned that -- done!" and I don't pay attention to what I'm reading. So I write notes in margins, but that's it.

5. I have an amazing study group -- I'm really lucky in that respect. We don't study during the semester, but when it comes to finals, we have 1-2 really intense study sessions that are great for me because they highlight where I don't know things.

Geez, that's all I can think of. I feel like 0% of that was helpful because the law school study process is so individualized, but I guess it worked for me, at least. :wink:
Damn, this is literally exactly what I do (except for the study group-- and I do highlight). Kudos, my friend, for being very successful.
Thank you! lol it's been like three days and it still isn't real to me yet.

(It was a struggle not to highlight, because I love using tons of colors and highlighting and making things look nice, haha.)

wackjickham

Bronze

Post by wackjickham » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:15 pm

underachiever wrote: People come and go Yale law degrees last a life time.
--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”