Transfer PS Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
zomginternets

Silver

Transfer PS

Post by zomginternets » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:43 pm

According to Arrow & MegaTTTron's articles and the general TLS sentiment, it is important not to bash your current law school to your new law school (or the schools that you are applying to). I'm wondering to what extent praising some aspect of the law school you are applying to as being better than what your current school offers constitutes bashing your old school. For example, I'm interested in practicing internationally--GULC clearly would place better internationally than my current T3 school and GULC also undoubtedly has better alumni connections (esp. in the particular country I'm thinking of) and I'm sure their Career Services Office generally has much better advice and options than my current school on this issue.

Is it a problem to write this in my personal statement? I'm worried the adcomm will interpret this as just a thinly veiled excuse for rank-whoring as it kinda sounds like I'm just saying "my current law school isn't good enough for me."

I have past international experiences that would back up my claim of wanting to practice internationally, if that makes a difference.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Transfer PS

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:45 pm

Saying "I would have more opportunities to accomplish my goals if I were admitted to your school" is not the same thing as saying "ZOMG my current school sucks".

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:48 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Saying "I would have more opportunities to accomplish my goals if I were admitted to your school" is not the same thing as saying "ZOMG my current school sucks".
Cool, that's kinda what I thought too. I get really paranoid sometimes about this sort of thing so I was just checking to see if anyone thought differently.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:53 pm

Avoid saying anything bad about your current school, just talk about the additional opportunities the new school will offer. After all, if it weren't giving you new opportunities, why would you want to go there?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”