Grade Explanation? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A'nold

Gold

Grade Explanation?

Post by A'nold » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:56 pm

I am highly considering adding a GPA curve/Rank explanation to my transfer files. The median GPA was absolutely horrendous for our section this semester and my school already curves to a B-. With my ranking not coming out for a long time and the schools already getting my grades, I think it would be a good idea to explain what those grades mean by at least providing the school the historical curve. My GPA is very high for the curve but would probably be just above median at other schools. Thoughts?

nahgems

Bronze

Re: Grade Explanation?

Post by nahgems » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:22 pm

I'm guessing that most schools are are fairly aware of the curve issues for T4 students. Also, they probably don't actually review your file until it is complete. I'm transferring from a T4 and have similar issues. I didn't really consider an addendum.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:05 pm

nahgems wrote:I'm guessing that most schools are are fairly aware of the curve issues for T4 students. Also, they probably don't actually review your file until it is complete. I'm transferring from a T4 and have similar issues. I didn't really consider an addendum.
The this is that many of these schools probably only ever receive an app. from my school once every 5 years or so. I don't think it would hurt to give a brief rundown of the school's curve, do you?

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:13 pm

A'nold wrote:
nahgems wrote:I'm guessing that most schools are are fairly aware of the curve issues for T4 students. Also, they probably don't actually review your file until it is complete. I'm transferring from a T4 and have similar issues. I didn't really consider an addendum.
The this is that many of these schools probably only ever receive an app. from my school once every 5 years or so. I don't think it would hurt to give a brief rundown of the school's curve, do you?
My thought is that including it as a reference document would be fine, but explaining it to them would seem presumptuous.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:58 pm

Yeah, I think bringing the curve to their attention is good as long as you don't make it sound like you are giving excuses or something.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:56 pm

A'nold wrote:Yeah, I think bringing the curve to their attention is good as long as you don't make it sound like you are giving excuses or something.
Yes, and also, adcoms are supposed to be professionals at interpreting people's credentials. You don't want to insult their professionalism by suggesting that they need a guide on how to interpret yours.

I find when my boss is wrong, it's much more productive to get the info to him and let him draw his own conclusions rather than call him on it.

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:10 am

On a related note, what about an explanation of one so-so grade? And do you really think "it was a stupid exam" explanations fly? I mean, it may well have been a stupid exam but if I were sitting on an admissions committee I don't know that I'd buy that. Seems kind of whiny. However, I've heard of people doing this so I thought I'd ask.

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:40 am

I haven't gotten my grades back, but I had a stupid exam also. I mean, seriously! Even if I get an A, I bet that I could have gotten an A+ had the exam not been so stupid. Anyways... :wink:

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:11 am

traydeuce wrote:On a related note, what about an explanation of one so-so grade? And do you really think "it was a stupid exam" explanations fly? I mean, it may well have been a stupid exam but if I were sitting on an admissions committee I don't know that I'd buy that. Seems kind of whiny. However, I've heard of people doing this so I thought I'd ask.
Think this one through for a second. You're an adcom member. You pick up an app, see one bad grade, and then find an addendum in which a 1L questions the examining abilities of a law professor and blames a so-so grade on the exam, rather than his/her preparation for it. How do you feel about that student? Do you want him/her in your class?

Probably not. I don't think you'd actually write a "This Exam Sucked" addendum, but I felt the sheer stupidity of such a move bore highlighting.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:11 am

IMO explaining the curve is fine - I can't see any harm in adding greater context. But you need to own your grades (and trust me, I say this as someone who thinks every grade below the book award I've gotten is the greatest injustice in the history of mankind).

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:34 pm

Yeah, I agree. I'm just not much of a policy analyst so when I saw the "so, what do you think about zoning," I didn't know what to say, especially since, although we talked about it, we never actually read any legit literature about the pros and cons, just comments from kids about how once upon a time they lived in a place without traditional zoning and it was really cool because everything was near their apartment. Or whatever.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”