Using an undergrad LoR for transferring Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
apper123

Silver

Using an undergrad LoR for transferring

Post by apper123 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:16 pm

Probably my best LoR for my original cycle came from a professor (kind of) who I worked closely with for many years at my undergrad. He knew me very well and placed me in a leadership position over a large group of people for several years. He can speak to my personality, work ethic, leadership qualities, etc. better than anyone else (well, anyone else with the stature to write a LoR for me).

Obviously I can't use the same letter and some of these schools I applying to xfer to I already applied to during my original cycle. I could probably get him to rewrite the letter, but I've since moved away and haven't been in touch with him very much (which is normal) and we are a year removed from when I was working for him at undergrad. Is this acceptable? Encouraged? For schools that require 2 LoRs, I assume I should still get another letter from a professor here, right? (already have 1)

kings84_wr

Silver

Re: Using an undergrad LoR for transferring

Post by kings84_wr » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:19 pm

I know several schools require 2 from law profs (Berkeley and Stanford for sure), so for me I have already got two regardless. If my Civ pro prof doesn't get my letter in by the EA date for Georgetown I likely will use one of my original ones.

But the schools that allow for up to 3 or 4 I figure I may as well send out my LOR's from last yaer, since I know my u-grad profs knew much better then either of my law profs.

Is there a lot of overlap from last cycle for you? I think there is only one school that I am planning on applying to that I applied to last year, so that probably makes things a bit simpler.

In reality, I just don't think letter of req matter that much, if you have them and they dont say anything negative then its all good.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”