Transferring from IU-B Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
daylight

New

Transferring from IU-B

Post by daylight » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:49 pm

So I didn't realize there was a designated "Transfers" board when I posted this in "What are my chances," so sorry for the repeat post!
Hi guys, I'm currently at 1L at Indiana-Bloomington and was looking to transfer to either BU or BC next year. My grades are not stellar (3.3). We haven't been ranked yet, but according to last year's stats, my GPA puts me in about the top 50%. I currently work for admissions and I'm a member of one student organization. I'm obviously hoping to bring my grades up by the end of this semester, but does anyone have any decent advice on transferring and what I can do to make myself a more competitive candidate? Thanks so much.

kings84_wr

Silver

Re: Transferring from IU-B

Post by kings84_wr » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:04 pm

daylight wrote:So I didn't realize there was a designated "Transfers" board when I posted this in "What are my chances," so sorry for the repeat post!
Hi guys, I'm currently at 1L at Indiana-Bloomington and was looking to transfer to either BU or BC next year. My grades are not stellar (3.3). We haven't been ranked yet, but according to last year's stats, my GPA puts me in about the top 50%. I currently work for admissions and I'm a member of one student organization. I'm obviously hoping to bring my grades up by the end of this semester, but does anyone have any decent advice on transferring and what I can do to make myself a more competitive candidate? Thanks so much.
Im a fellow IUB 1L who is looking at transferring.

First off the best thing you can do is to do well next semester, grades are a huge part of transferring so obviously it can help.

Have you looked at the yahoo group on transfer apps, thats probably the best place to get information and what worked for other candidates (Although obviously it may be limited since you have a very specific destination).

Also it probably can't hurt to contact BC and BU and ask them what they look for in a transfer. I know some of the school Ive looked at have a list of things they like in a transfer.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:26 pm

I think if you can get into the top 1/3rd you'll be good to go; even the top 40%.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:30 pm

Why are you guys/gals considering transferring?

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:57 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:Why are you guys/gals considering transferring?
well ill start with teh caveat that I love IU and Indiana, and have had a great time here thus far.

I am originally from CA, and just looking at my options this seems like the one chance I may have to get back to CA. To be honest Im fine with working in the midwest and thats why I was comfortable coming to IU. But i think I would prefer CA if all things were equal.

I think I would have a pretty good shot at some solid schools In CA (if I get lucky with my grades again).

I havnt really thought it all out yet though, so I very well may end up staying

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RonSantoRules

New

Post by RonSantoRules » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:37 am

BU took 7 transfers last year. BC took 12 transfers. Not a lot of spots to go around. I would think grades need to go to about top 33% even though it might be a lateral transfer (unless you have some significant reason, e.g. family or other). I'm not sure that a school is going to take a flyer on median student, even if it is a lateral transfer, if they can get a higher performing individual from a lower ranked school. I would imagine BU and BC are having the same problems as IU finding jobs for students too.

daylight

New

Post by daylight » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:20 pm

Thanks guys. My only reason for wanting to transfer is based on location. I'm originally from the Northeast and really just want to be there. I love IU and am really impressed with the professors, etc. I'm just trying to go to a school that's ranked on the same level in the Northeast.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:24 pm

Interesting, it also seems some TLSers are skeptical of IUB's ranking.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8#p2488738

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”