Any Hope of Transferring from T20's to T40's? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
KSCO

New

Any Hope of Transferring from T20's to T40's?

Post by KSCO » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:25 pm

I was rejected from the lower T1 law school, however am from the area and will be spending the summer in a well regarded summer associate position I obtained before grades came out. I completely bombed my first semester due to a rather unusual set of circumstances within my essays which just kills me.

From what I have been told by my professors, I would have likely been in the top 1/3rd given the content of my answers absent the confusion due to what is required on a law school exam rather than traditional academic writing. Assuming I can knock it out of the park this semester, have the first semester situation verified through recommendations and perform very well on legal writing, do I have a chance? I need some encouragement to get through the semester at a great law school, although in an area very different and very isolated (rural) than what I am used to. Getting through 2.5 more years would be very difficult.

ec2xs

Bronze

Re: Any Hope of Transferring from T20's to T40's?

Post by ec2xs » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:29 pm

Do you mean transfer from a T40 to a T20?

KSCO

New

Post by KSCO » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:11 pm

No, I woul be transferring down due to location.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:22 pm

the best way to transfer is to really kill this next semester grade wise. Lateral transfers or in this case moving down can be pretty unpredictable from what i have seen. there is really not a whole lot of info on these types of transfers.

Its really hard to predict without knowing what your final class rank would be, but you likely could have a shot at transferring and should definitely use that as motivation to do great this semester

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:26 pm

can you give us 0L's an idea of what went so wrong with your approach to law exams?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:51 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:can you give us 0L's an idea of what went so wrong with your approach to law exams?
I know you were asking OP, but if you read the back end of Getting to Maybe the authors give quite a few examples of ways students go wrong.

KSCO

New

Post by KSCO » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:42 pm

Thanks for the comments. I needed to give more details as to how I reached my conclusion. My conclusions were correct, however I missed quite a few points for not explaining my reasoning and/or the elements (i.e. what forms a convenience analysis), etc...

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:46 pm

KSCO wrote:Thanks for the comments. I needed to give more details as to how I reached my conclusion. My conclusions were correct, however I missed quite a few points for not explaining my reasoning and/or the elements (i.e. what forms a convenience analysis), etc...
Yeah being conclusory is a common mistake that unfortunately some people just don't find out until after grades are out.

I know a few people who were pretty upset because they missed points for really basic obivous elements that they simply assumed didn't need to be stated.

Im sure you'll do great next semester OP

dark

New

Post by dark » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:17 pm

Mind if I ask a random question about your summer associateship?

-Is this with a "biglaw" kind of firm? Or is this a smaller firm? IE: How many attorneys in the office(s)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”