3.5 at school in 60s Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LawHorn

New

3.5 at school in 60s

Post by LawHorn » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:30 am

I received a 3.5 at a school ranked in the 60s this Fall, which puts me in the top 13%. I went to UT undergrad and worked in DC at a large firm for 2 years following graduation. I checked the yahoo transfer group but couldn't find much info regarding UT. Question #1 - What are my chances at Georgetown or University of Texas? Also, I feel that I will most likely end up in Dallas following graduation (family connections), so SMU is another option for me. Question #2 - If I went to Gtown and decided that I wanted to work in Dallas following graduation would I have better career opportunities in Dallas coming out of Gtown or SMU, or would they be relatively similar? I do like that Gtown opens more doors nationally, but I am particularly interested in their placement in Dallas. Thanks.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Re: 3.5 at school in 60s

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawHorn

New

Post by LawHorn » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:52 am

No takers? Anyone care to chime in on what it takes to transfer to Gtown or UT from a school ranked in the 60s?

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:59 am

burtonrideclub

Bronze

Post by burtonrideclub » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:59 am

Baylor?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LawHorn

New

Post by LawHorn » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:52 pm

betasteve wrote:
LawHorn wrote:I received a 3.5 at a school ranked in the 60s this Fall, which puts me in the top 13%. I went to UT undergrad and worked in DC at a large firm for 2 years following graduation. I checked the yahoo transfer group but couldn't find much info regarding UT. Question #1 - What are my chances at Georgetown or University of Texas? Also, I feel that I will most likely end up in Dallas following graduation (family connections), so SMU is another option for me. Question #2 - If I went to Gtown and decided that I wanted to work in Dallas following graduation would I have better career opportunities in Dallas coming out of Gtown or SMU, or would they be relatively similar? I do like that Gtown opens more doors nationally, but I am particularly interested in their placement in Dallas. Thanks.
If you are not at a school that is regionally placing in Dallas, I'd say transfer. G'town may be an option so long as you have strong ties to Dallas and are able to show those to TX firms. SMU is another option, and I honestly couldn't tell you which is better. I am at SMU, did well enough to transfer to G'town, but there is absolutely no way I would. My calculus may be different, due to scholarship stuff. This is all just inferential, though.

Thanks. I am originally from East Texas and am really considering transfering to SMU, but seeing how I will be paying sticker wherever I go, I think I may get a little more bang for my buck at Gtown. How have you liked SMU? What are the summer employment options looking like for 2Ls? Anyone have info on what it typically takes to get into UT as a transfer? The yahoo transfer group doesn't have much info for UT...

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:44 pm

LawHorn wrote:I received a 3.5 at a school ranked in the 60s this Fall, which puts me in the top 13%. I went to UT undergrad and worked in DC at a large firm for 2 years following graduation. I checked the yahoo transfer group but couldn't find much info regarding UT. Question #1 - What are my chances at Georgetown or University of Texas? Also, I feel that I will most likely end up in Dallas following graduation (family connections), so SMU is another option for me. Question #2 - If I went to Gtown and decided that I wanted to work in Dallas following graduation would I have better career opportunities in Dallas coming out of Gtown or SMU, or would they be relatively similar? I do like that Gtown opens more doors nationally, but I am particularly interested in their placement in Dallas. Thanks.
As I'm sure you have seen elsewhere, Georgetown has a HUGE transfer class. I was actually in a very similar position school-wise and rank-wise, and got accepted to Georgetown as a transfer. I ended up settling on UCLA because it is where I am from and I wanted to go back, but I would say you definitely have a shot at Georgetown.

As for UT, I'm not really sure. I don't think they have that large of a transfer class, but you might want to check on that. Are you still a TX resident? I think that could help if you are, since they have to retain X% of TX residents. I would say keep up the grades this semester and you would at least be competitive for both.

As for which school you would choose... I have seen demonstrated interest in your market playing a much larger role than I think it may have in past years. If you are positive about staying in TX long term, I would say UT would be your best bet.

Either way, best of luck to you this semester!

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:14 pm

UCLAtransfer wrote:
As I'm sure you have seen elsewhere, Georgetown has a HUGE transfer class. I was actually in a very similar position school-wise and rank-wise, and got accepted to Georgetown as a transfer. I ended up settling on UCLA because it is where I am from and I wanted to go back, but I would say you definitely have a shot at Georgetown.
Similar as in just outside the 10% demarcation? 'Cause I'd given up all hope, all the forums make it sound like an inside 10% or bust situation and having even a slim shot at Georgetown still (I've got similar school/GPA #'s to the OP) would brighten my day just a bit.

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:18 pm

samiseaborn wrote:
UCLAtransfer wrote:
Similar as in just outside the 10% demarcation? 'Cause I'd given up all hope, all the forums make it sound like an inside 10% or bust situation and having even a slim shot at Georgetown still (I've got similar school/GPA #'s to the OP) would brighten my day just a bit.
Yes, I was just a hair outside top 10% at the end of 1L. I applied right after the end of Spring semester as soon as I got grades in May. First semester I was ranked closer to top 20%, and then I really killed it second semester and it averaged out pretty well.

I'm not sure how much more competitive the transfer cycle will be this year, but keep up the good work and I would say you have a fighting chance at it.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”