Do People Trasfer Out of T14s? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tome

Bronze

Do People Trasfer Out of T14s?

Post by tome » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:43 am

Do people transfer out of T14s? From talking to 2Ls, it sounds like the very top students from last year at NU all stayed. And I have not heard of any other students transferring out.

I also know a few 1Ls who got 3.85+ GPAs first semester here and none of them have talked like they had even considered transferring. Just curious if it happens.

kittenmittons

Silver

Re: Do People Trasfer Out of T14s?

Post by kittenmittons » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:44 am

tome wrote:Do people transfer out of T14s? From talking to 2Ls, it sounds like the very top students from last year at NU all stayed. And I have not heard of any other students transferring out.

I also know a few 1Ls who got 3.85+ GPAs first semester here and none of them have talked like they had even considered transferring. Just curious if it happens.
Transferring to higher T14s?

dgouzoul

Bronze

Post by dgouzoul » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am

I dont have numbers or anything, but i think transfers to HYS would be pretty commonly attempted

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:49 am

tome wrote:Do people transfer out of T14s? From talking to 2Ls, it sounds like the very top students from last year at NU all stayed. And I have not heard of any other students transferring out.

Is there a reason to transfer? Other than academia, is there any job that isn't available to the top of NU, that is available to a Harvard grad?

I'm curious.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:58 am

I could see people transferring for geographical reasons. T14's are going to place you nationally no matter what, but if there's one particular city/region you want to live in, I could see transferring.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:59 am

I know of one 2L who transferred to Columbia. With a 3.85 at NU after their 1L year, one stands a good chance to grade onto law review.

I'll see what I think about this after the semester, but there are only 5 schools where I would consider transfering.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Is there a reason to transfer? Other than academia, is there any job that isn't available to the top of NU, that is available to a Harvard grad?

I'm curious.
Perhaps a few, but not many! Many people are prestige whores (myself included). I tend to believe that I would prefer finishing in the middle of the pack at Harvard versus top 10% at NU ... especially with a long-term perspective in mind.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:12 pm

chadwick218 wrote:

I know of one 2L who transferred to Columbia. With a 3.85 at NU after their 1L year, one stands a good chance to grade onto law review.
You can't grade-on to our law review...

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:19 pm

rayiner wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

You can't grade-on to our law review...
Yes, but with the exception of 10 who can write onto the law review so long as their grades are w/in the top 1/3 of the class, the other 26 are evaluated equally on first-year grades and on the quality of their writing competition entries (my hunch is that grades play a much greater part than does the quality of their entries).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:20 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Yes, but with the exception of 10 who can write onto the law review so long as their grades are w/in the top 1/3 of the class, the other 26 are evaluated equally on first-year grades and on the quality of their writing competition entries (my hunch is that grades play a much greater part than does the quality of their entries).
Allegedly it's 50-50. And allegedly there are plenty of 3.9+ folks who didn't get onto LR.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:23 pm

rayiner wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:Yes, but with the exception of 10 who can write onto the law review so long as their grades are w/in the top 1/3 of the class, the other 26 are evaluated equally on first-year grades and on the quality of their writing competition entries (my hunch is that grades play a much greater part than does the quality of their entries).
Allegedly it's 50-50. And allegedly there are plenty of 3.9+ folks who didn't get onto LR.
Very interesting!

Perhaps all the more reason not to dismiss the idea of transfering ... assuming one has an interest in law review.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:57 pm

I think there were 4 transfers out of UoC this year? 1 to Harvard, 1 to Yale, 1 to Stanford, and 1 to Columbia (I assume for personal reasons, since this transfer would make no sense otherwise.)

This out of a school where 19 of the 29 LR slots are grade-on. Officially you still have to do the write-on, but if you're in the grade-on range, you get on unless the staffers think you didn't put a good-faith effort in to the process.

Edit: For those who don't grade-on to LR, grades are entirely irrelevant.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote: Is there a reason to transfer?
Because it is Harvard. I could see transferring from NU --> Harvard or Yale. Other then that I guess the other question would by scholarship. If it were to cost you the same to graduate from NU or Columbia, I don't see too many good reasons not to transfer (except possibly law review, but that doesn't sounds like a sure thing).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MarkTwain

New

Post by MarkTwain » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:26 pm

I know 7 left UVA last year (1 to each of HYS, 3 to NYU, 1 unknown), and 6 left Columbia (HYS).

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:34 pm

And give up law review chances?

MarkTwain

New

Post by MarkTwain » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:39 pm

H gives transfer students a shot at LR, and YS are VERY fair to transfers in this respect. Six of us made LR this year at SLS, so giving up LR upon transferring is not always an issue.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:51 pm

MarkTwain wrote:I know 7 left UVA last year (1 to each of HYS, 3 to NYU, 1 unknown), and 6 left Columbia (HYS).
I can understand transferring up to HYS, but NYU? :?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MarkTwain

New

Post by MarkTwain » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 pm

The transfers to NYU were for personal reasons (preference for the city over a small, rural community). Also, one of them didn't make VLR but made LR at NYU! Talk about a great move!

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:12 am

Yale or bust.

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:15 am

MarkTwain wrote:I know 7 left UVA last year (1 to each of HYS, 3 to NYU, 1 unknown), and 6 left Columbia (HYS).
Out of curiosity, where'd you get the CLS number? http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... BA2163.pdf puts the number of transfers out of CLS at 0, but that data might be from two years ago rather than last year.

MarkTwain

New

Post by MarkTwain » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:22 am

We have one transfer from CLS here at SLS, and he told me it was 6 this year (he named the schools they went to, etc.). He also said that it was a strange year, because lots of people flipped out about the economy and wanted to try to move up if possible (this seems true from my own experience). The LSAC stats are for last year's transfer class.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:23 am

From Penn:
YLS - 3
HLS - 3
SLS - 1
CLS - 1
Gtown - 1

I may not know of a few... but prob no more than 2 or 3 others.
Last edited by Georgiana on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarkTwain

New

Post by MarkTwain » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:23 am

Yeah, LSAC definitely has old data. It says Virginia had four transfers out, but I know for sure it was 7 this past year (I'm one of the 7).

MarkTwain

New

Post by MarkTwain » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:24 am

I know the transfer from Penn! Awesome guy.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:25 am

MarkTwain wrote:I know the transfer from Penn! Awesome guy.
He is! He was in my section :)

Glad he got into SLS and didn't have to do Berk.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”