Denver 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
km23

Bronze

Re: Denver 2013

Post by km23 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:11 pm

Last edited by km23 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:14 pm

km23 wrote:
lawlec48 wrote:
km23 wrote:Current and past students:

Can you tell me anything about the Peer Mentoring Program? Is it worthwhile? If you didn't participate in it, do you know people who did and thought it was a great resource for the 1L year?

Also, I am really interested in the Professional Mentoring Program. What are the pros and cons (I'm guessing mostly pros)? I feel like it will allow me to network in Denver, since I will be new to the scene.

Are any of you incoming 1Ls going to participate in either of these programs?
KM, I was interested in both programs and have tried to get more information to no avail from DU. I emailed the office and have yet to receive a reply. Guess I need to call or stop in versus simply emailing.

I can only see positives from the mentoring programs... time would be the only drawback but since it is being used for networking, it is still a positive use of time.

Let us know if you find anything else out.
I literally just found out about them. They just sent an email to our DU Emails (I don't know if you checked or not) and sent a PDF with some short info on both programs. They seem great. If anything, I think I will def. do the Professional Mentoring program. But, I went to the link provided and can only find an application for mentors, not for 1Ls who want in on the program. I will keep you posted, and please do the same :)

Oh ya, just FYI the deadline to sign up is the 11th!
LOL, I just went on DU's website and got the email address for the mentoring programs and went to my DU law email to send them and email and bam, there was the email from them. Guess that will answer a bunch of my questions about it.

That being said, if I can sign up for both, I'm going to definitely signup.

I emailed Katrina asking for guidance, as I'm sure many others have, but I'll let everyone know what I find out. If anyone else does hear back first, please do let me know also!

km23

Bronze

Post by km23 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:41 pm

Last edited by km23 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:02 pm

I got a very quick response from Katrina and a new email with the correct link too.

All signed up for both programs!

lawyerboy24

New

Post by lawyerboy24 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:39 pm

lawlec48 wrote:I got a very quick response from Katrina and a new email with the correct link too.

I recommend the Peer Mentoring program. I was matched up with a great 3L my first semester. He'd had a number of my profs and just generally told me what to expect. Nice getting that one-on-one. I also signed up for the LP Mentor, ie. a local lawyer mentor. Again, got matched up with a cool lawyer downtown who works for one of the oldest firms in Denver and was able to tell me about life in that universe in addition to her own law school experience (she is a little older than me).

DU is not always quick about the whole info thing. I see everyone this year has again been left to figure out their emails on their own. If it helps, the only one you'll use is the law.du.edu address. The general DU emails will flow into it. Or will eventually, if they aren't right now.

Journals--
They are all write-on. This is the general trend among many law schools now. You know why? Are you sitting down? Because... the people in the top 10% probably aren't the best writers. They are just the best test-takers. Not that there isn't an overlap between grades and writing ability. But if a journal is composed only of the top 10%... it's not gonna be a great journal. (Sidenote: I do know that the DU Law Review does incorporate grades at the margin. So if they take 25 people, and it's down to 5 people for the last slot, they will then factor grades.)

I don't know the stats on Water Law, or the others, but I did hear that the year before last (current stats not out yet), 130 people downloaded the application for the DU Law Review and 90-ish completed it. You will discover why there's such a drop-off if you apply at the end of your 2nd semester. It is a BEAR. I know. I did it. (But... very worth it if you get on.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:59 am

lawyerboy24 wrote:
lawlec48 wrote:I got a very quick response from Katrina and a new email with the correct link too.

I recommend the Peer Mentoring program. I was matched up with a great 3L my first semester. He'd had a number of my profs and just generally told me what to expect. Nice getting that one-on-one. I also signed up for the LP Mentor, ie. a local lawyer mentor. Again, got matched up with a cool lawyer downtown who works for one of the oldest firms in Denver and was able to tell me about life in that universe in addition to her own law school experience (she is a little older than me).

DU is not always quick about the whole info thing. I see everyone this year has again been left to figure out their emails on their own. If it helps, the only one you'll use is the law.du.edu address. The general DU emails will flow into it. Or will eventually, if they aren't right now.

Journals--
They are all write-on. This is the general trend among many law schools now. You know why? Are you sitting down? Because... the people in the top 10% probably aren't the best writers. They are just the best test-takers. Not that there isn't an overlap between grades and writing ability. But if a journal is composed only of the top 10%... it's not gonna be a great journal. (Sidenote: I do know that the DU Law Review does incorporate grades at the margin. So if they take 25 people, and it's down to 5 people for the last slot, they will then factor grades.)

I don't know the stats on Water Law, or the others, but I did hear that the year before last (current stats not out yet), 130 people downloaded the application for the DU Law Review and 90-ish completed it. You will discover why there's such a drop-off if you apply at the end of your 2nd semester. It is a BEAR. I know. I did it. (But... very worth it if you get on.)
Great info lawyerboy, much appreciated! I'm not going to lie, regardless the amount of work for law review, I'm shocked that there is a 20-25% chance of making each journal, based upon the number of actual submissions and the numbers they take each year. Maybe I was naive, but I was under the impression that the journals were only for the top 10-15% of students. It is exciting to know that all the journals are write-on and if you complete the packets, you have a decent shot at getting on a journal, although 20% chance per journal is by no means a gimme, just a better shot than I was expecting.

Re: the mentor programs, do you know how they assign mentors? I know the signup sheet have a lot of options to choose and they use that to match based upon preference, but I can see a lot of people preferring to have a mentor in a mid to large firm who deal with business or international law, or conversely small non-profit law. Is it a first come, first serve type thing or is there really such a variety in people's preferences that it works itself out?

Guess I'll find out before August 13th when they email our mentors and I can see if they are remotely close to my preferences or the exact opposite.

Thanks again lawyerboy!

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:52 pm

It is Thursday, July 29th, and we are having another meet and greet tonight! It is one of our future classmates birthday, so a bunch of us are heading out downtown... most likely around Market St between 14th and 16th. If your in town and interested in meeting up, just PM me and I'll give you my information and I can let you know the plans or where we are at if you head out a little later!

whiskey

New

Post by whiskey » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:38 pm

lawlec48 wrote:It is Thursday, July 29th, and we are having another meet and greet tonight! It is one of our future classmates birthday, so a bunch of us are heading out downtown... most likely around Market St between 14th and 16th. If your in town and interested in meeting up, just PM me and I'll give you my information and I can let you know the plans or where we are at if you head out a little later!

Can we get some people from section one out tonight?

lawyerboy24

New

Post by lawyerboy24 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:03 pm

lawlec48 wrote:
lawyerboy24 wrote:
lawlec48 wrote: Re: the mentor programs, do you know how they assign mentors? I know the signup sheet have a lot of options to choose and they use that to match based upon preference, but I can see a lot of people preferring to have a mentor in a mid to large firm who deal with business or international law, or conversely small non-profit law. Is it a first come, first serve type thing or is there really such a variety in people's preferences that it works itself out?

Guess I'll find out before August 13th when they email our mentors and I can see if they are remotely close to my preferences or the exact opposite.

Thanks again lawyerboy!
I don't know how they assign mentors. I know there's an implication that they will attempt to match interests, but generally I think they throw people together. I was looking for someone involved in trial work but the lady I got does mostly probate and contract work. Still, it's been great hearing what that's like, how billing and clients work in a fancy-shmancy firm, etc. Plus, she always buys my coffee when I come downtown and her firm validates my parking in the garage next door. Sometimes It's the Small Things that make a difference. :)

Apropos of nothing-- go to all the lunch presentations you can during the school year. 1) free food (or you can choose to look at it as getting your student activity fee back, but I like to characterize it as free food); 2) exposure to wide variety of law and lawyers; and 3) good way to get to know the 2Ls/3Ls who run the clubs you might want to join. Unless something changes, you will probably get bombarded by daily, if not hourly, emails about these events. It might be tempting to erase them without reading them (really, it's ridiculous how many we receive!), but you never know when one of them might announce someone from the FBI is talking about jobs, or a 10th Circuit judge is speaking, or a panel of environmental lawyers is discussing the latest Supreme Court ruling, etc.

And did I mention the free food?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:18 pm

lawlec48 wrote:It is Thursday, July 29th, and we are having another meet and greet tonight! It is one of our future classmates birthday, so a bunch of us are heading out downtown... most likely around Market St between 14th and 16th. If your in town and interested in meeting up, just PM me and I'll give you my information and I can let you know the plans or where we are at if you head out a little later!
Dammit I got real lawz jobs now i can't do bar review on thursdays anymore. But you guys have fun. Also when everyone gets sttled and after the first few weeks of school I'll try to set up a breakfest with some judges and lawyers I know and you all can come and meet them, ask questions, ect. Lawyerboy you can come to, in fact PM if your intrested in joinging an Inn of Court (or don't know what they are, we have a party coming up, and are taking new meber applications (I think we still are).

KidCharlemagne

New

Post by KidCharlemagne » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:43 pm

Wow, I've already been offered a lucrative investment opportunity through my DU e-mail account:
Good Day
I have contacted you in request for investment to be a fund manager to
my client. I am an attorney with the Malaysia bar, Law Firm
(http://www.malaysianbar.org.my
client Mrs. Zainab Othman Nationality of Iraq
She is in agreement with me to source on her behalf, a foreign
investor with many years of experience to manage her late husbands
funds.
Get back to me for more details.
Regards,
Naemah Esq.
While you guys slave away as 1Ls, I'll be laughing all the way to the bank!

p.s. The downtown meetup last night was a heck of a good time. Was cool to meet you guys. Props to lawlec for organizing things!

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:35 am

Hey guys,

With one weekend prior to Orientation, It is only right that we have a get together this weekend to meet up with everyone again, and for the first time for those just into town. Anyone feeling Saturday night in either downtown again or near DU, I think I've heard that there are some law school bars near Pearl St, which also has a light rail stop, although I don't know if the bars are close to the stop.

Based on some comments on the Facebook page, it looks like law students like to hit up The Pub on Pearl Street... but I'm up for anything!

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:42 am

lawlec48 wrote:Hey guys,

With one weekend prior to Orientation, It is only right that we have a get together this weekend to meet up with everyone again, and for the first time for those just into town. Anyone feeling Saturday night in either downtown again or near DU, I think I've heard that there are some law school bars near Pearl St, which also has a light rail stop, although I don't know if the bars are close to the stop.

Based on some comments on the Facebook page, it looks like law students like to hit up The Pub on Pearl Street... but I'm up for anything!
Pub on Pearl is about 3 blocks away from the stop. Hansons is about a block. Law school students go to both (I was at both a few times in the past week), but it is usually only about 10 or so people that go.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:59 pm

BWOD wrote:

Pub on Pearl is about 3 blocks away from the stop. Hansons is about a block. Law school students go to both (I was at both a few times in the past week), but it is usually only about 10 or so people that go.
Bwod, thanks for the info! Are you open to meeting up this weekend? Lawyerboy and Matthies, you guys available too?

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:19 pm

lawlec48 wrote:
BWOD wrote:

Bwod, thanks for the info! Are you open to meeting up this weekend? Lawyerboy and Matthies, you guys available too?
Sure I will be around. Let me know what you guys decide.

lawyerboy24

New

Post by lawyerboy24 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:44 pm

BWOD wrote:
lawlec48 wrote:
BWOD wrote:
lawlec48 wrote:
Sure I will be around. Let me know what you guys decide.
Wish I could make it. But I will be out of town. Time for my summer vacay before law school takes over my life again.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:13 pm

Alright, looks like here are our plans as of now.

Thursday: Meeting at Pearl Street Pub at 8ish

Saturday: Going out downtown.... probably. Meeting around 8-9pm..... probably.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Captain Muscles

New

Post by Captain Muscles » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:50 am

I am finally in Denver so I am down to meet up with you guys and say what's up.

I still have some loose ends to take care of so hopefully I will be make it out tomorrow.

If not, tomorrow, definitely the weekend.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:37 pm

So has orenation started? What do you all think so far?

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:47 pm

Matthies wrote:So has orenation started? What do you all think so far?
orientation was great. no pressure, all socializing and free lunch. class has started now. and we're jumping right into it, which is awesome. i'm kind of surprised how much my poor aching brain has been able to absorb already.

so far, profs get thumbs up and study rooms are my new home.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:57 pm

JTX wrote:
Matthies wrote:So has orenation started? What do you all think so far?
orientation was great. no pressure, all socializing and free lunch. class has started now. and we're jumping right into it, which is awesome. i'm kind of surprised how much my poor aching brain has been able to absorb already.

so far, profs get thumbs up and study rooms are my new home.
haha cool, first few weeks will be an emotional roller coaster, you will be excited, then scared, then have second thoughts, then become a zombie, then finally befor you know it Thnaksgiving and everything it nuts. Hang in there, excpet to be happy and sad and doubt yourself over the next few weeks, everyone else will too, its normal. Also if you have a signifact others, you really need to have the talk with them, I'd say living with somome who is going through 1L is likle living with somome who just quit smoking 2 packs a day cold trunkey. You need to set the other person up for your emtional roller coaster too. Its as hard, if not ahrder, on them becuase your going through it with classmtes, they are going throught it alone.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Captain Muscles

New

Post by Captain Muscles » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:26 am

It could be because my Criminal Law class got canceled this week but so far, the workload seems very manageable.

I am sure this will change.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:16 pm

Captain Muscles wrote:It could be because my Criminal Law class got canceled this week but so far, the workload seems very manageable.

I am sure this will change.
yea they start you off slow, but its the amount of stuff you need to remeber/learm as the semster goes on that gets tricky

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”