Emory Class of 2013! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
sebastian0622

Bronze

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Post by sebastian0622 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:46 pm

Eh, maybe Emory future students have lives? ;) I don't care about facebook groups or having an active admitted students network. I just want to get a good education, be around likable people in a cool city, and then get a job. I think people get too gung-ho about this law school thing sometimes. But maybe it's just me.

steph404

New

Post by steph404 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:01 pm

If you have time while in town for ASW, cruise around the neighborhoods around campus. There are a fair number of rental houses in the areas around Houston Mill. If you hit it off with people you may be able to work out roommates. When I went to school there there was a housing board for law students to list/rent places with other students.

autao

New

Post by autao » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:32 pm

Would it be wise to rent a condo at Harwood Condos right next to the park and conference center? Is the area generally pretty safe and quiet? Any information would be appreciated.

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:42 pm

How much should one expect to pay to rent a 3 bedroom house within 2.5 miles of campus? Is $1100/month a reasonable price?

As for the Facebook group, I'll be joining after the ASW. I'm 99% sure that I'll be attending, but I want to wait until I actually visit before making it official.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:04 pm

autao wrote:Would it be wise to rent a condo at Harwood Condos right next to the park and conference center? Is the area generally pretty safe and quiet? Any information would be appreciated.
That is actually a pretty accessible area and kind of nice with a lot of trees etc. You can easily walk to campus. I don't know anyone that lives there but never knew why. You might want to ask around. The only reason why I might think it wasn't a good idea is if it is heavily populated by undergrads. Other than that it is safe, close, and seems like a nice area.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

autao

New

Post by autao » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:57 pm

rando wrote:
autao wrote:Would it be wise to rent a condo at Harwood Condos right next to the park and conference center? Is the area generally pretty safe and quiet? Any information would be appreciated.
That is actually a pretty accessible area and kind of nice with a lot of trees etc. You can easily walk to campus. I don't know anyone that lives there but never knew why. You might want to ask around. The only reason why I might think it wasn't a good idea is if it is heavily populated by undergrads. Other than that it is safe, close, and seems like a nice area.
Thanks for the information, I think I will try and ask some of the other current students this weekend. And by the way thank you for providing information about Emory and what we need to know. (also applies to hotlantan.)

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:14 pm

autao wrote:
Thanks for the information, I think I will try and ask some of the other current students this weekend. And by the way thank you for providing information about Emory and what we need to know. (also applies to hotlantan.)
Not a problem. Also, if any of you are hesitant to ask anything on the board but have further questions. Feel free to PM me.

runn3rs

New

Post by runn3rs » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:12 pm

mavsman88 wrote:Why is the facebook group so barren. There are only like 70 members. Other admitted students groups have well have 100. Its odd Emory doesnt really have any type of admitted students site outside of this facebook group.
I also wonder if this reinforces Emory's reputation as a school for carpetbaggers and people who "settle" after not getting into their first choice. A huge generalization, of course, but enthusiasm for Emory seems low on this forum and elsewhere on the internet. Again, I know that uses only a very small, very specific sample but I'm interested to get some Emory students' take on the matter.

eldizknee

Bronze

Post by eldizknee » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:02 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hhg

Bronze

Post by hhg » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:06 pm

runn3rs wrote:
mavsman88 wrote:Why is the facebook group so barren. There are only like 70 members. Other admitted students groups have well have 100. Its odd Emory doesnt really have any type of admitted students site outside of this facebook group.
I also wonder if this reinforces Emory's reputation as a school for carpetbaggers and people who "settle" after not getting into their first choice. A huge generalization, of course, but enthusiasm for Emory seems low on this forum and elsewhere on the internet. Again, I know that uses only a very small, very specific sample but I'm interested to get some Emory students' take on the matter.
any lawyer i've spoken with (graduates of top schools at a variety of large firms, most older) have expressed great respect for emory and have thought it to be quite prestigious, sometimes over other schools ranked higher, and i don't really understand why it is treated so poorly on tls... is it because it's situated at the bottom of the t20 (and recently, at that), or just due to the cynicism of the tls constituency? or is it something else that i'm missing?

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:14 pm

eldizknee- get excited. i'm a facebook "retiree," so i couldn't join a group. but i'm excited to be a future emory student.

for as intelligent as some people on this board claim to be, i find it funny that they can't appreciate the fact that people are different. not everyone wants to live in the northeast. i can't wait to get out. emory is a large research university with a $5 bill. endowment located in the largest metro in the southeast. can't imagine why someone would want to go there.

moreover, since my visit, i've gotten email after email from genuinely interested faculty, some of whom have read my work and commented on it specifically. the students i met down there were happy, motivated, and satisfied with their choice. is emory for everyone? not a chance. but it's a school that speaks to many top prospective students.

i'm not saying atlanta will ever supplant ny, chicago, l.a., or sf as a gargantuan legal center; however, recent demographic data show a population shift south. i believe that southern schools (uva, duke, emory, vandy) will benefit, and a large metro like atlanta will become a main locus of legal activity in its own right. maybe i'll be proven right, and maybe i won't. either way, emory is the school for me.

i hope you pick emory. pm me if you have any questions. unfortunately, i won't be able to make it to asw (my wife and i were just down there last weekend and couldn't get more time off so quickly).

eldizknee

Bronze

Post by eldizknee » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:29 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:57 pm

I'm really excited. I personally know an Emory Law grad who has done remarkably well for herself (edit: in TEXAS). I don't know why people don't always give Emory the credit it deserves. My guess is that the people who are looking at the t20 are not the same people who are looking at the t40, t60, etc. The people who go to Emory likely had very high scores/grades that would have been competitive at many t20 schools. The people who are looking at the t40 most likely didn't have the same scores/grades, and thus didn't look as far up as Emory. We are a top 20 school (!!!!!) out of the now 209 law schools. What is there not to be excited about????

We have almost zero competition in Atlanta (edit: I know someone is going to say, 'that's not true, xyz are there,' but xyz are not Emory :P ), something other t20's definitely canNOT say. (Maybe vandy, do people use lawyers in Nashville or do they just have a grill off to see who's better?)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eldizknee

Bronze

Post by eldizknee » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:03 am

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:09 am

eldizknee wrote:To be fair, ATL sees a fair amount of Duke and Virginia grads as well

haha i knew this was coming. I realize that, but with Emory being actually in the city, there are just going to be more connections for us to make than UVA or Duke grads. In addition, we can hypothetically work with firms any time of the year, and not just summer. If you don't believe that makes a difference, see the Cornell thread with everyone complaining about how far away NYC is.

eldizknee

Bronze

Post by eldizknee » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:11 am

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:15 am

eldizknee wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:
eldizknee wrote:To be fair, ATL sees a fair amount of Duke and Virginia grads as well

haha i knew this was coming. I realize that, but with Emory being actually in the city, there are just going to be more connections for us to make than UVA or Duke grads. In addition, we can hypothetically work with firms any time of the year, and not just summer. If you don't believe that makes a difference, see the Cornell thread with everyone complaining about how far away NYC is.
Yeah, Atlanta itself is one of the big reasons I picked Emory.
Oops, I thought you were a hater, not attending!! From my experience in Dallas, Texas Wesleyan grads fare very well actually. I'm not sure where UT grads go, maybe Houston? They seem to just kind of drift away from Texas. SMU does amazingly well (except for this year) and then I would say that it is actually Texas Wesleyan that does better than Tech or Baylor, and even UH (in Dallas). Why am I telling you this? UH and Baylor are Top 100, Texas Wesleyan is a tier 4. I know this is one personal experience but I have seen what area connections do for you, which is why I picked Emory over more remote schools (W&L namely).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cosmo Kramer

Bronze

Post by Cosmo Kramer » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:16 am

Heading down on Wednesday, although this is my top choice this place is going to have to BLOW MY MIND to justify that sticker price

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:17 am

Cosmo Kramer wrote:Heading down on Wednesday, although this is my top choice this place is going to have to BLOW MY MIND to justify that sticker price

hahahahahaha you made my night

mavsman88

New

Post by mavsman88 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:18 am

What is a typical first semester weekly schedule at Emory?

runn3rs

New

Post by runn3rs » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:29 am

eldizknee wrote: I don't really understand this rep. Why would bitters "settle" on Emory? Why not BU/BC/GWU/Minn/WUSTL? Especially if they're carpetbaggers? I know it has this rep, but why don't other schools similarly ranked have this rep for being full of bitters that couldn't crack the T18/14/13/10/6/whatever? FWIW when I visited I talked to Northeasterners that turned down higher ranked schools because they liked Emory/ATL and there are a few current students that have been posting here that said they took Emory over higher ranked schools. Whatever. I'm excited.
I wasn't trying to be rude. I was just kinda curious about how Emory got this reputation. I put down my deposit already and I'll be visiting Atlanta this weekend for the first time in a while. I'm pretty freaking excited about Emory.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

eldizknee

Bronze

Post by eldizknee » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:31 am

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

randtuckman

New

Post by randtuckman » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:02 am

Add me to the list of really excited 2013 Emory Law students with no presence on facebook. Is it too tacky to have my fiancee join the group on her account "in my name"? Just trying to pad our numbers... (By the way, when I first checked the facebook group it had FIVE members, so 70 feels pretty good)

Side note: anyone else actually looking through offered courses early in anticipation of that first elective? 8) Mmm, elective.

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:06 am

This is probably a stupid question and I plan on calling the office soon - but I never received a letter about scholarship money but when I checked on-line, it said I was given $24,000/yr as a Law Scholarship. Is this automatically renewable? Sorry if this has already been answered!

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:12 am

terpette wrote:This is probably a stupid question and I plan on calling the office soon - but I never received a letter about scholarship money but when I checked on-line, it said I was given $24,000/yr as a Law Scholarship. Is this automatically renewable? Sorry if this has already been answered!
Scholarships automatically renew pending good standing. i.e. you have to try pretty hard to fail.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”