Denver 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
JTX

Bronze

Re: Denver 2013

Post by JTX » Thu May 13, 2010 5:06 pm

whiskey wrote: I always feel like i'm bragging and try to keep it under wraps.
whenever this thought crosses my mind, i remind myself I'm (happily) going to a T2, #80 school. I'll take all the praise and prestige that's coming to me. and all the abuse from the TLS t14 or bust snobs.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:29 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:
whenever this thought crosses my mind, i remind myself I'm (happily) going to a T2, #80 school. I'll take all the praise and prestige that's coming to me. and all the abuse from the TLS t14 or bust snobs.
I love the T14 or Bust crowd that has never looked outside the T14, so when a question is asked about a different school, all they can do is continue the same anti-life, the sky is falling, 2012 is the end of the world type statements. Even when someone with knowledge of the school and legal market makes a contradictory comment, they either dismiss it or restate their T14 or bust beliefs but then throws in the disclaimer that they don't really know anything about certain areas or school and have never research it. Granted there are definitely some schools that are not very strong in their own market, which is where it can be dangerous to attend said school. As long as people understand that most schools outside the T-14 are regional to varying degrees and further understand that going outside that region will take a great deal of networking and work, then I have no issue with someone going to a school outside of T-14.

I understand that DU is generally a very regional school that is strongest in the Mountain area, specifically in the Denver metro area and rural Colorado. That being said, DU has some exceptionally strong ties to the Colorado and Denver legal markets and is only outdone in general by grads from the T-14 (some more so than others) and CU, although with the clinical and externship opportunities that DU offers, an individual who puts in the effort to network and takes advantage of said advantages, can be just as successful as CU students.

In choosing between Stetson and DU, I had two main concerns 1) where did I want to live and could I live there for the next 10 years, if not forever 2) In looking at the local Metro, how did each school's alumni fair.

I have been looking through several Denver law firms, most that I've looked at are between 40-80 lawyers, and in almost every case, nearly 40% are DU JD's or have DU LLMs. The same could not be said about Stetson, which is strongest in the Tampa/St. Pete area of Florida, but most of the firms that I looked at only had a select few Stetson alum.

DU might be a T-2 and tied for 80th overall, but I'm ALSO alright with that because I understand DU's strength and weaknesses and have no problem putting in the effort to network and take advantage of what DU has available to offer. I for one am very excited to attend DU, and look forward to living in Denver for the next X amount of years.

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Fri May 14, 2010 12:41 am

lawlec48 wrote:
jtxcounitah wrote:
I love the T14 or Bust crowd that has never looked outside the T14, so when a question is asked about a different school, all they can do is continue the same anti-life, the sky is falling, 2012 is the end of the world type statements. Even when someone with knowledge of the school and legal market makes a contradictory comment, they either dismiss it or restate their T14 or bust beliefs but then throws in the disclaimer that they don't really know anything about certain areas or school and have never research it. Granted there are definitely some schools that are not very strong in their own market, which is where it can be dangerous to attend said school. As long as people understand that most schools outside the T-14 are regional to varying degrees and further understand that going outside that region will take a great deal of networking and work, then I have no issue with someone going to a school outside of T-14.

I understand that DU is generally a very regional school that is strongest in the Mountain area, specifically in the Denver metro area and rural Colorado. That being said, DU has some exceptionally strong ties to the Colorado and Denver legal markets and is only outdone in general by grads from the T-14 (some more so than others) and CU, although with the clinical and externship opportunities that DU offers, an individual who puts in the effort to network and takes advantage of said advantages, can be just as successful as CU students.

In choosing between Stetson and DU, I had two main concerns 1) where did I want to live and could I live there for the next 10 years, if not forever 2) In looking at the local Metro, how did each school's alumni fair.

I have been looking through several Denver law firms, most that I've looked at are between 40-80 lawyers, and in almost every case, nearly 40% are DU JD's or have DU LLMs. The same could not be said about Stetson, which is strongest in the Tampa/St. Pete area of Florida, but most of the firms that I looked at only had a select few Stetson alum.

DU might be a T-2 and tied for 80th overall, but I'm ALSO alright with that because I understand DU's strength and weaknesses and have no problem putting in the effort to network and take advantage of what DU has available to offer. I for one am very excited to attend DU, and look forward to living in Denver for the next X amount of years.
dude, all credited. but also, youre already in so no need to worry adcomms might read this ;)

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:10 am

jtxcounitah wrote:
lawlec48 wrote:
jtxcounitah wrote:

dude, all credited. but also, youre already in so no need to worry adcomms might read this ;)
Wait, what? You mean I don't need to anonymously suck up to the adcomms any more? Damn, I've never been too good at this. lol.

whiskey

New

Post by whiskey » Fri May 14, 2010 10:37 am

Lawlec,
YOu got me sold on the DU. ALso, i got my apartment at the deerfield apartment. its outside of the cherry creek area. Its ideal because its only 3 miles from the school and half a mile from the metro link. We decided not to live in the downtown area due to the fact that being so close to the social scene is way to tempting for me and i really want to focus my first year. Hopefully after the first year we'll move downtown and live it up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri May 14, 2010 11:17 am

One more thing to do for your car before moving here from any warm climant. Use up all your current washer fluid and add -20 degree fuild. I moved from AZ and my car had +20 degree fluid and first time it got cold it frozen solid and my washer fuild would not work anymore and my winsheild got all semary and I could not see where i was going.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Fri May 14, 2010 2:03 pm

whiskey wrote:Lawlec,
YOu got me sold on the DU. ALso, i got my apartment at the deerfield apartment. its outside of the cherry creek area. Its ideal because its only 3 miles from the school and half a mile from the metro link. We decided not to live in the downtown area due to the fact that being so close to the social scene is way to tempting for me and i really want to focus my first year. Hopefully after the first year we'll move downtown and live it up.
Whiskey,

We looked into those, but never visited since we are trying to stay a one car household, but they seemed really spacious for the cost. Regarding living too close to the social scene, we thought about that too and in fact my wife asked me yesterday if it was going to be a problem if we lived some place close to the bars/social scene. I told her I would be fine because I'm going to still take time to enjoy my life, i'll just ensure that I do all my studying at school prior to heading home, which for me is a good thing. Regardless the amount of distractions at DU, I would have a billion more at home, even if I lived in bum fuck egypt. Studies show that you shouldn't study in bed because your trained to sleep there and you fill not concentrate as much and more than likely just fall asleep. I'm similar in that regard to my entire home. I swear, once I'm in the door, I'm ready to do nothing productive and relax. That fact made it really hard for me to do my MBA, since 90% of my studying was at home and was a battle 24/7. Plus, I'm one of those nerds that loves the school atmosphere and am motivated by the aura of the area and seeing others studying.

In addition, my wife and I live in a town of 70k people, with very limited action minus the fact the bar to population ratio is the highest in the state, a state that prides itself on bars and drinking mind you. So, we are excited to just enjoy all that Denver has to offer right from our doorstep. That being said, I tried to convince my wife to live in a cheap dump near campus, hoping for some really, really cheap rent, but that got shot down by her quickly. Then I looked at places near the light rail and nicer places around campus, such as Deerfield and The District, but she wants LODO, so thats where we are most likely headed.

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Fri May 14, 2010 2:06 pm

lawlec48 wrote:
That being said, I tried to convince my wife to live in a cheap dump near campus, hoping for some really, really cheap rent, but that got shot down by her quickly. Then I looked at places near the light rail and nicer places around campus, such as Deerfield and The District, but she wants LODO, so thats where we are most likely headed.
not a problem for you-- as long as you're wife can thrown down on rent, right? :D

I'm doing: mortgage + apartment= must have slum cheap apartment

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Fri May 14, 2010 2:18 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:
lawlec48 wrote:
That being said, I tried to convince my wife to live in a cheap dump near campus, hoping for some really, really cheap rent, but that got shot down by her quickly. Then I looked at places near the light rail and nicer places around campus, such as Deerfield and The District, but she wants LODO, so thats where we are most likely headed.
not a problem for you-- as long as you're wife can thrown down on rent, right? :D

I'm doing: mortgage + apartment= must have slum cheap apartment
I almost think that is part of the reason we are getting a nicer place, or at least plan to, if she is the one footing the bill, she wants to get a place she likes. We were lucky enough to already have sold our house, so the mortgage is out of the way... otherwise we'd be living on someone's couches. It would definitely hurt to need both the mortgage for her and the apartment for you at DU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Fri May 14, 2010 2:37 pm

lawlec48 wrote: I almost think that is part of the reason we are getting a nicer place, or at least plan to, if she is the one footing the bill, she wants to get a place she likes. We were lucky enough to already have sold our house, so the mortgage is out of the way... otherwise we'd be living on someone's couches. It would definitely hurt to need both the mortgage for her and the apartment for you at DU.
luckily, i am very thrifty. just dont expect me to open a tab at some fancy bar during LS. i'll pregame or wait til we go to the place with two'fer specials.

whiskey

New

Post by whiskey » Fri May 14, 2010 5:13 pm

Lawlec,
I am the same way when it comes to studying and being at home. I get so distracted being at home and trying to study is like torture to me once i enter my home.
ON a side note, are we the only three people going to denver? where the heck is everyone?

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Fri May 14, 2010 5:14 pm

I am the same way when it comes to studying and being at home. I get so distracted being at home and trying to study is like torture to me once i enter my home.
ON a side note, are we the only three people going to denver? where the heck is everyone?
:lol: right? the TLS addicted are revealed.
<-----

KidCharlemagne

New

Post by KidCharlemagne » Fri May 14, 2010 6:13 pm

I'm going :) Just lurking and posting on occasion.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thinkinoutloud

New

Post by thinkinoutloud » Fri May 14, 2010 6:25 pm

Hey Lawlec and Whiskey,

I have not been on this site for a long time, seems I have missed a lot. I enjoyed meeting everyone at the Admitted Students Day and am just as excited as all of you to get started. I moved my family back to Denver several months ago and we are finally settled. We live no where near DU (did someone say BFE???), but it is nice and good for the kids. If any of you are coming to Denver soon and want to grab a beer or need someone to show you around, don't hesitate to give me a shout.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Sat May 15, 2010 2:05 am

thinkinoutloud wrote:Hey Lawlec and Whiskey,

I have not been on this site for a long time, seems I have missed a lot. I enjoyed meeting everyone at the Admitted Students Day and am just as excited as all of you to get started. I moved my family back to Denver several months ago and we are finally settled. We live no where near DU (did someone say BFE???), but it is nice and good for the kids. If any of you are coming to Denver soon and want to grab a beer or need someone to show you around, don't hesitate to give me a shout.
I'm coming in June, probably around June 11-14 to look at apartments... I know JTX is thing about meeting up with my wife and I, but thinkin, you should meet us out too, it would be good to see you and your wife again after meeting after the open house.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Sat May 15, 2010 3:34 pm

lawlec48 wrote:
thinkinoutloud wrote:Hey Lawlec and Whiskey,

I'm coming in June, probably around June 11-14 to look at apartments... I know JTX is thing about meeting up with my wife and I, but thinkin, you should meet us out too, it would be good to see you and your wife again after meeting after the open house.
I can try and meet up with you guys, was going to try and meet JTX but I'm working on a case for a trial monday so I'm stuck at the computer

whiskey

New

Post by whiskey » Mon May 17, 2010 10:22 pm

Hey Mathies,
What can you tell me about the environmental law and international law programs?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Mon May 17, 2010 10:25 pm

whiskey wrote:Hey Mathies,
What can you tell me about the environmental law and international law programs?
Whisky,
I don't know much about the international law program, but the environmental program I know allot about as that was my focus in LS and what my MLS/LLM is in from DU. Like what do you want to know?

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:57 pm

Well, we finalized our plans to visit Denver in June to do some apartment hunting. We are going to be in town June 11-16 (Friday thru Wednesday) so if anyone wants to meet up, we are available any of those nights. I know JTX and Matthies were going to try to meet up with us, everyone else is free to join us too! Any preference for which night and where we can all meet up? We will probably be in town on the 11th around 6pm and will be staying with my wife's cousin in Lakewood. We will be in the downtown area checking out apartments on Saturday the 12th, so if we want to meet up downtown on Saturday afternoon (preferably after 5pm, since that is when most apartment open houses end) that might work out the best for me, but we can be very flexible with that too!

whiskey

New

Post by whiskey » Thu May 20, 2010 11:30 pm

Mathies, I would appreciate any info you would like to share about the Environmental program. Like why you chose to go that route, what kind of job do you hope to snag in that field, just anything useful. I've read your other post and you you're very insightful on the law school experience and the connections that need to be made.

Everyone else: Whats the dilly o on the 500.00 parking past? And are the less expensive parking passes far from the law school?

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri May 21, 2010 11:28 am

whiskey wrote:Mathies, I would appreciate any info you would like to share about the Environmental program. Like why you chose to go that route, what kind of job do you hope to snag in that field, just anything useful. I've read your other post and you you're very insightful on the law school experience and the connections that need to be made.

Everyone else: Whats the dilly o on the 500.00 parking past? And are the less expensive parking passes far from the law school?
I actually chose DU specifically for the environmental/natural resources law program, over other schools, even much higher ranked ones. (I also started in the MLS/LLM before the JD, which takes some explaining, but can post on that in a different thread). I want to practice environmental law, specifically water law, and Colorado is the best state to do that.

DU has TONS of environmental and natural resources law classes, I mean just about everything you can think of. Enough that you can actually specilize with the JD here. There is also an environmental law clinic and the Water Law Review, both of which I did while in school. Of course there is also the LLM in Environmental Law.
We have great professors for envrioemal law like Cheever, Latios, Pring, Don Smith and others. There are also a ton of internships the school has set up over the years for environmental jobs. Plus a really active enevrionmtal law society and several big EL and NR meetings at the school each year . Outside the school there are bar subsections for environmental and natural resources. BTW something I should note, DU's focus is more on Natural resources Law than Environmental Law, they are the same but different to, basically NR issues are bigger in the west than the east, and EL issues bigger in the east than the west, but they are basically, in laymen's terms, the same things.

Also environmental law is not just limited to public interest, all the large firms here have environmental law departments, the EPA regional headquarters is here, plus tone of medium sized and small firms do the work as well. You can make lots of money in environmental law, so its not just PI jobs (but there are plenty of those organizations here as well).

Check out http://law.du.edu/index.php/enrlp for more info on the opportunities for environmental law at DU.
Last edited by Matthies on Fri May 21, 2010 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri May 21, 2010 11:28 am

Also ION I got sworn in to practice law yesterday. As I mentioned on the other thread networking with lawyers and judges is one of the best things you can do while in law school. It also have some neat befits besides that as well.

Usually the swearing in is held enmass at one of the local theaters, 200-500 people all stand up at once and you get sworn in. It's neat, but not very personal. Yesterday a small group of about 15 lawyers and judges I met while in law school meet for breakfast and my mentor and friend, a local judge swore me in personally.

It was really kind of neat and special occasion for me to have my mentor of over 4 years personal read the oath to me then give me a big hug after we finished. Just one more of the benefits of getting out of school as meeting working lawyers and judges that will help you career after school.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Fri May 21, 2010 4:10 pm

Matthies wrote:Also ION I got sworn in to practice law yesterday. As I mentioned on the other thread networking with lawyers and judges is one of the best things you can do while in law school. It also have some neat befits besides that as well.

Usually the swearing in is held enmass at one of the local theaters, 200-500 people all stand up at once and you get sworn in. It's neat, but not very personal. Yesterday a small group of about 15 lawyers and judges I met while in law school meet for breakfast and my mentor and friend, a local judge swore me in personally.

It was really kind of neat and special occasion for me to have my mentor of over 4 years personal read the oath to me then give me a big hug after we finished. Just one more of the benefits of getting out of school as meeting working lawyers and judges that will help you career after school.
Congrats on your swearing in! It definitely had to be nice to have someone close to you be able to do it in such an intimate setting. Have you begun the job hunt again, or do you have anything lined up already?

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri May 21, 2010 4:26 pm

lawlec48 wrote:
Matthies wrote:Also ION I got sworn in to practice law yesterday. As I mentioned on the other thread networking with lawyers and judges is one of the best things you can do while in law school. It also have some neat befits besides that as well.

Congrats on your swearing in! It definitely had to be nice to have someone close to you be able to do it in such an intimate setting. Have you begun the job hunt again, or do you have anything lined up already?
I'm still doing projects for other lawyers which has been 60+ hours a week for the last sevsral weeks. I've got my feelers out for a few enriomental jobs, but I'm not at the point where I'm willing to take anything but the best postion for me, at least so long as this work is steady. Its been really nice working from home for the past year in shorts and T-shirt. Gonna have to be the "right" job for me to give that up.

BBeck42

New

Post by BBeck42 » Sat May 22, 2010 4:45 pm

Hi everyone- I haven't joined in on this site, though I have been checking on it occasionally for a while now. I am all set to attend DU. I was at the ASD, but I didn't have time to join up with anyone, but I look forward to getting to meet you all once school starts.

Just curious, is everyone planning on working in Denver, or is anywhere in Colorado your main choice? My wife and I met in Colorado Springs, and I really want to settle my family down there once school is done. For anyone who is a native, any ideas/experience with finding legal work in Colorado Springs?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”