Harvard Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
englawyer

Silver

Re: Harvard Class of 2013

Post by englawyer » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:16 am

expat wrote:
englawyer wrote:we are slacking in this thread compared to last year. they were up to around 15 pages by now :o :o :o

who is going to the first ASW? (march 3-6)
Assuming you meant 3/6-3/8, I will be! I've never been to Boston and I'm definitely looking forward to it.
yeah that would be the dates i meant 8)

GypsyGrL

New

Post by GypsyGrL » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:23 pm

I'll me there March 6-8 and was actually there visiting a 3L friend last weekend. Went to HLS tacky prom. Good times, but certainly mild compared to college. (duh).

HRPHMP

New

Post by HRPHMP » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:33 am

Tacky Prom was pretty crazy by HLS standards...I had a great time though.

1L open to questions if anyone has any.

Find out about HLS Clinics:
http://www.facebook.com/HLSClinical

bahama

Bronze

Post by bahama » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:42 pm

How much time did you spend studying during the 1st semester?

Did you do any extracurriculars?

Anything you'd do differently looking back on it after finals?

Thanks for taking questions.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:15 pm

englawyer wrote:we are slacking in this thread compared to last year. they were up to around 15 pages by now :o :o :o

lol thats cuz there's an In at Harvard! thread as well, cant be spreading my seed everywhere!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:14 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:

lol thats cuz there's an In at Harvard! thread as well, cant be spreading my seed everywhere!
i would say that the difference is this thread can/should be for folks who are leaning towards H or even committed whereas in at harvard can be for those that are admitted but still considering all options. I am probably on the borderline of those two hehe

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:31 pm

haha guess i should be posting here more often then eh?

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:15 pm

I'll post in here for now, but whenever anyone else wants to start the 2014 thread... haha actually maybe I should wait til they approve my deferral request formally :shock:

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:57 pm

This thread needs to take off.

Is anyone else looking for off-campus housing? Craigslist hasn't been too fruitful for me and I'm really feeling the crunch of the time. HRES options seem nice and have a good amount of utilities included, but $1400/mo. for a studio is still a whole lot. If I can find a decent studio in the area for around $900, I'd be all over it. Unfortunately that opportunity has yet to present itself.

I really don't want to live in the dorms (mostly because I don't fit particularly well into twin beds, a problem that I don't think many people have) and would like to have at least a little more spending money than HRES would afford me. Free food, etc. are nice but there's only so much pizza that I can eat. Any suggestions on housing in Cambridge?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Chichaca

Bronze

Post by Chichaca » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:25 am

I just sent in my deposit!!!
GeePee wrote:This thread needs to take off.

Is anyone else looking for off-campus housing? Craigslist hasn't been too fruitful for me and I'm really feeling the crunch of the time. HRES options seem nice and have a good amount of utilities included, but $1400/mo. for a studio is still a whole lot. If I can find a decent studio in the area for around $900, I'd be all over it. Unfortunately that opportunity has yet to present itself.

I really don't want to live in the dorms (mostly because I don't fit particularly well into twin beds, a problem that I don't think many people have) and would like to have at least a little more spending money than HRES would afford me. Free food, etc. are nice but there's only so much pizza that I can eat. Any suggestions on housing in Cambridge?
Are you totally against having a roommate? If so, you'll have to look about a mile from campus to find a studio for $900. I'd suggest Union Square, Spring Hill or Davis Square in Somerville. (I doubt you'll find anything in Cambridge for that price.) There was a good off-campus housing discussion on the "In at Harvard" thread a while back.

Personally, I'm looking for a 2 bedroom in the 1400-1500 range in those same neighborhoods, plus Porter Square and Central Square. There's quite a bit more if you're willing to live with someone.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:25 pm

Chichaca wrote:I just sent in my deposit!!!
GeePee wrote:This thread needs to take off.

Are you totally against having a roommate? If so, you'll have to look about a mile from campus to find a studio for $900. I'd suggest Union Square, Spring Hill or Davis Square in Somerville. (I doubt you'll find anything in Cambridge for that price.) There was a good off-campus housing discussion on the "In at Harvard" thread a while back.

Personally, I'm looking for a 2 bedroom in the 1400-1500 range in those same neighborhoods, plus Porter Square and Central Square. There's quite a bit more if you're willing to live with someone.
I'm certainly not totally against a roommate, and will probably find a suitable roommate for myself over the course of 1L year, but I'm afraid of committing to rooming with someone that I'm not totally comfortable living with straight away. I'm not a person that one might label a gunner, but on the other hand I don't want to be feeling the pressure of straight P's after first semester.

I've seen some really great deals for between 1300-1500 for 2br, but I'd like a little bit more assurance of what I'm getting myself into before I jump right in.

LawStriker

New

Post by LawStriker » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:29 pm

So I havent heard from Yale yet,

Do you think I should send in my deposit for Harvard now or wait it out?

bananas

New

Post by bananas » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:19 am

It seems tough to find off-campus housing you know you'll be happy with unless you see it in person...not a fun prospect to go apartment hunting now.

Is anyone else trying to move earlier than September? Most of the HRES apts are for 9/1. Anyone know how we're supposed to swing that with end of August orientation? And I don't relish the invasion of the U-Hauls on 9/1.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:50 am

bananas wrote:It seems tough to find off-campus housing you know you'll be happy with unless you see it in person...not a fun prospect to go apartment hunting now.

Is anyone else trying to move earlier than September? Most of the HRES apts are for 9/1. Anyone know how we're supposed to swing that with end of August orientation? And I don't relish the invasion of the U-Hauls on 9/1.
Yeah, I wasn't particularly sure about that, either. I was wondering if HLS would allow an exception for incoming 1L's to move in a week early... people seemed to suggest that the school was a pretty good landlord.

I put in my HRES lottery application today as a backup. If I can't find my own housing by the time my window comes along, I guess I'll just suck it up and pay the extra ~200 a month that it seems to come out to after the utilities included and no fees.

bananas

New

Post by bananas » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:27 pm

I hope you get a good view/select window. Sounds like if you get one in late June that you can write it off--all of the apartments will be taken already.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:29 pm

bananas wrote:I hope you get a good view/select window. Sounds like if you get one in late June that you can write it off--all of the apartments will be taken already.
Yeah, I get that sense as well. I'm just trying to diversify my options a bit in hopes of getting as close to an ideal setup as possible.

dutchstriker

Bronze

Post by dutchstriker » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:30 am

Sending in my deposit soon. See you guys in the fall!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pleasepickme

Bronze

Post by pleasepickme » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:58 pm

deposited today!!!!! Sad about turning down my other opportunities, which were great, but SO excited to go to HLS!!

The Dan

Bronze

Post by The Dan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:06 pm

Just got my deposit confirmation e-mail. See you all in August/September.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Fri May 28, 2010 1:02 pm

should I be in a panic because I haven't found a place to live yet?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri May 28, 2010 1:31 pm

adameus wrote:should I be in a panic because I haven't found a place to live yet?
i hope not, or else i would have to be panicking too haha

oh also, has anyone gotten a transcript confirmation after sending in all the official transcripts? i heard they would email notify for those till july, but the status update has it as an option and mine still isnt checked (sent mine like more than a month ago)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:28 pm

do we have a FB group? if so, can you send me the link?

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:46 pm

TLS specific?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/gro ... 137&ref=ts

And the trend for living arrangements from what I've heard is that the best apartments go quickly in early- and mid-June; most decent apartments are taken by early July.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:48 pm

sayan wrote:TLS specific?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/gro ... 137&ref=ts

And the trend for living arrangements from what I've heard is that the best apartments go quickly in early-mid June and most decent apartments are taken by early July.
nah, I was more thinking of a Harvard class of 2013 group. I guess it will maybe get started once we arrive?

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:51 pm

also, lets get this thread going! when are you guys planning on moving to cambridge, where will you be living?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”