How does getting a nonprofit job work out of LS? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Zannie1986

New

How does getting a nonprofit job work out of LS?

Post by Zannie1986 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:33 pm

(Not in school yet..)
I understand that a lot of the benefit of law school is the connections you get with people/alumni, etc. But I worry that that is the route that people take to get involved in big law; I'm not interested in big law though, but legal aid groups or nonprofits, so that significantly narrows my connections already, I feel..what is that, at most, 40% alumni each year? Would finding a nonprofit job basically the same procedure? I figured doing some clinics would also help, but I don't know what else to expect to do.

NewHere

Bronze

Re: How does getting a nonprofit job work out of LS?

Post by NewHere » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:09 pm

Yes, clinics, work on a resume that shows interest in this direction, special-interest career fairs, public-interest career fairs

floatingslacker

New

Post by floatingslacker » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:52 pm

Wondering the same thing. I was at this resort and met this girl who works in the nonprofit sector in New York. She gradded NYU 2007 and I asked her about the sector... she told me nonprofit is more competitive than biglaw, that if you arent a urm you're gonna have a hell of a time getting offers. Seemed like a shallow analysis... perhaps she's referring to high presteige social justice firms (think Center for Constitutional Rights).

Also, how many people grad from law school and grantwrite for an ngo start-up providing legal services to the marginalized? undocumented immigrants, transgendered youth, urban poor, etc

edit: to be more specific on the ngo start-up, im specifically thinking about people like jennifer gordon, who gradded harvard in 1992 and immeadiately started an immigrant rights ngo on long island. is it possible to do something like this gradding with 75k debt from a t40? seems to me the founds would still give some cash

Zannie1986

New

Post by Zannie1986 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:11 am

to sort of piggyback a little off of the last poster, in the non profit world, does TLS status matter as much as say practical exp. like you can get w. clinics?..well i guess tls have those, too..but more practical study than theoretical study?

i also just got concerned, looking at an ACLU job posting for staff attorney, would love that job, and had assumed that post-clinic work as well as summer jobs, these jobs would be attainable..still expected 5-10 yr litigation exp. when am i going to get to do the job I want in my life, 38? right around when having babies starts getting questionable. great. it's disconcerting.

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:14 am

Zannie1986 wrote:(Not in school yet..)
I understand that a lot of the benefit of law school is the connections you get with people/alumni, etc. But I worry that that is the route that people take to get involved in big law; I'm not interested in big law though, but legal aid groups or nonprofits, so that significantly narrows my connections already, I feel..what is that, at most, 40% alumni each year? Would finding a nonprofit job basically the same procedure? I figured doing some clinics would also help, but I don't know what else to expect to do.
go into biglaw or pi?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kumba84

Bronze

Post by kumba84 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:20 am

This is where I think it helps to go to school where you want to work. If you can do a couple clinics, get summer and part-time work at nonprofits, join some professional societies all while you are in law school, then those connections are going to help you when you look for a job.

floatingslacker

New

Post by floatingslacker » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:48 pm

Zannie you're echoing my concerns exactly. I don't want to grad from law school and wait seven years before i actually get to do what i entered law school for (immigrant rights work).

Also, I've had very similar thoughts as to what kumba is saying. It seems to me that it wouldn't be hard to go to a regional school in the area or city of intended work and become familiar with the immigrant rights movement. For example, go to UHouston and intern for/get to know orgs like the Worker's Defense Project and Las Americas Immigrant Advocacy Center (the latter I'd love to start my legal career working for). Even if I didn't get employment from them, their support would likely be be of great assistance in grantwriting to start a legal services ngo somewhere that immigrant rights organizing is low in relation to the number of undocumented workers (such as South Carolina or Illinois).

Zannie1986

New

Post by Zannie1986 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:23 pm

ejjones wrote:
go into biglaw or pi?
I meant that 40% as going into PI

Zannie1986

New

Post by Zannie1986 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:30 pm

floating slacker, you have some good points. when i've heard from everyone at the end of the application process I should eliminate schools based on a hard look at the clinics and opportunities in the area. that may be sort of one of those captain obvious things, but..i don't know it's an aha moment over hear for me :shock: heh

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:26 pm

Zannie1986 wrote:
ejjones wrote:
go into biglaw or pi?
I think like 3-4% per year of my graduating class goes into PI o.0;;

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:27 pm

get an MPA instead. cheaper, faster, targeted.

Zannie1986

New

Post by Zannie1986 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:11 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Zannie1986 wrote:
ejjones wrote:
go into biglaw or pi?
I think like 3-4% per year of my graduating class goes into PI o.0;;
yea that's probably more accurate i was thinking northeastern university or some school really into the PI scene but i still don't know those stats either..possibly less than 40 heh

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”