splitting Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Splitting kiss of death for class of 2011?

Yes
69%
No
9%
Depends
23%

Total votes: 35

Anonymous User

splitting

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:57 pm

would splitting the summer between 2 firms that you really like and cannot decide about, really be the kiss of death?

Anonymous User

Re: splitting

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:would splitting the summer between 2 firms that you really like and cannot decide about, really be the kiss of death?
OP here. I'm deciding between 2 firms in the same city, corp/lit split for both. One offerletter already suggests they discourage splitting and they at the least, require first half of summer there. Second office will have a very small summer class <5 and offer letter did not mention anything about splitting but scared generally for offer prospects at both if I do this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:would splitting the summer between 2 firms that you really like and cannot decide about, really be the kiss of death?
OP here. I'm deciding between 2 firms in the same city, corp/lit split for both. One offerletter already suggests they discourage splitting and they at the least, require first half of summer there. Second office will have a very small summer class <5 and offer letter did not mention anything about splitting but scared generally for offer prospects at both if I do this.
I would highly advise against splitting with two firms in the same city. If you are going to split, split with two different cities and have a good reason for doing so (e.g., significant other/spouse is in city A, and you two are contemplating the move to city B). Be warned though: in this market, don't be surprised if you get no-offered by one, if not both, of the firms. When firms are looking at who to extend a permanent offer, this will play a factor.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:22 pm

Kiss of death.

Shows bad judgment. In an economy like this, none of us is important enough to expect a firm to bend over backwards. Asking them to let you split increases your risk in their eyes twofold.

Just my opinion, and I'm usually not the risk-averse among us, but I wouldn't tempt fate on this one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:37 pm

I'll be splitting. But it's a bit more common where I'll be doing it (TX). Employers encouraged it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:05 pm

Splitting in Tex at least is what you have to do. Not very many full summer programs. I'm currently attempting to get a split myself (although I am only half way there). I think it might send very different messages depending on the region.

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:05 am

It may or may not be the kiss of death, but if a firm is looking to reduce its class by no-offering some people, the splitters are the first on the chopping block. From a hiring partner's perspective it's easier to cut the ties with someone who wasn't entirely committed to you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:20 am

I think if at least one of the firms made offers to nearly 100% of its summer class last year, splitting is a good idea. Of course, it's possible that the 1% that didn't get offers at these firms tends to be people who negotiated a split.

What firms in Texas are allowing second-half splits?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think if at least one of the firms made offers to nearly 100% of its summer class last year, splitting is a good idea. Of course, it's possible that the 1% that didn't get offers at these firms tends to be people who negotiated a split.

What firms in Texas are allowing second-half splits?
I know of only a few, but I'm sure there are more: Scott Douglas, McKool, Gibbs & Bruns, Bracewell.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:10 pm

To continue that list, Fulbright and Locke Lord also have 2nd half (Locke Lord has 1st or 2nd half options with those going wi ththe first half getting a bonus of about 3,000).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:34 pm

Fulbright told me they do not have second half. They only allow 6 weeks within their ten week period. But, if you don't do the first six weeks, you arent going to be able to split with another firm because of their dates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:45 pm

Jones Day also allows second half.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:14 am

I was going to split the summer, now I am concerned. I thought this was standard practice and all my offers have been in the 6 week range. I really need/want the revenue as well as the experience in different firms/areas of practice. I want a job after graduation more and I did get an immediate offer from my first choice. I am in Texas and wish I hadn't read this thread.....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:36 am

Obviously if your offers are for six-week summer programs, there is no harm in doing two of them, assuming that they allow you to match up the dates.

It's not the concept of splitting a summer itself that is not a good idea; what's ill advised is to leave an employer before the end of its regular program (i.e., to do 6 weeks of a summer program that is normally 10 or 12 weeks). It's a bad idea because you spend less time at the firm than other members of the summer class, so if they have to make cuts, it's easy to cut you. If you do the full six weeks of a six-week program, that's not an issue that arises.

Gators08

New

Post by Gators08 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:38 am

I said it depends. Namely it depends on if you're in Texas or not. If you are it's a lot of times expected, if you aren't I wouldn't even consider it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was going to split the summer, now I am concerned. I thought this was standard practice and all my offers have been in the 6 week range. I really need/want the revenue as well as the experience in different firms/areas of practice. I want a job after graduation more and I did get an immediate offer from my first choice. I am in Texas and wish I hadn't read this thread.....
I got the feeling from TX based firms that they want you to split. Maybe that's because they want to be sure you won't rely on them for your perma offer. However, many of the people I talked to when deciding which offers to accept mentioned how much they thought seeing two offices was a good thing for everyone involved.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:19 pm

They don't want you to split. That's why most big firms are first half only (aside from FJ and LLBL, and LLBL offers incentives to get you to pick first half)--they want to make it so they aren't going to be competing for yield of their summer associates. Most just realize that that's the way things are done in Texas and they can't really change that. Some are trying to though. Haynes & Boone has a 9 weeks program, no splitting.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:56 pm

Just man up and make a decision. Even if you're a woman.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:37 pm

I explicitly had a fairly selective firm in Houston tell me that they encourage their 2Ls to split summers. I have had several others let me know that their program dates will allow me to split. I think in TX it is just different than in almost all other places.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:33 am

ok, freaking enough with the Texas! Is the OP even looking to go to Texas?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:21 pm

No, sadly, no TX for me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:50 pm

this really depends on the firm. for example, i'm splitting with a southern california firm that allows splits (even second half splits) and makes 100% offers, including last year. is it a little risky? sure, but i'm not as worried as i would be if i was going to latham or paul hastings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:this really depends on the firm. for example, i'm splitting with a southern california firm that allows splits (even second half splits) and makes 100% offers, including last year. is it a little risky? sure, but i'm not as worried as i would be if i was going to latham or paul hastings.

Sounds like Gibson Dunn. They seemed to encourage splitting but even if I'd taken that offer there's no way I would have split. No reason to get greedy. I only need one job. But if that is the firm, they did certainly talk about splitting more than anywhere else I'd seen.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:this really depends on the firm. for example, i'm splitting with a southern california firm that allows splits (even second half splits) and makes 100% offers, including last year. is it a little risky? sure, but i'm not as worried as i would be if i was going to latham or paul hastings.

Sounds like Gibson Dunn. They seemed to encourage splitting but even if I'd taken that offer there's no way I would have split. No reason to get greedy. I only need one job. But if that is the firm, they did certainly talk about splitting more than anywhere else I'd seen.
Really? GDC for me said first half required w/ them, didn't seem to allude they wanted splits. This was non-HQ though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Really? GDC for me said first half required w/ them, didn't seem to allude they wanted splits. This was non-HQ though.

Actually to clarify, they seemed to encourage the idea of splitting offices in the same firm.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”