Cornell and Georgetown OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Cornell and Georgetown OCI?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Cornell has good placement when you look at the V100 as a whole. Placement into the most selective firms? Not so much.

Cornell's placement is more comparable to Duke, not the T6.
As far as I know, S&C (at least in the last two years, due to high recommendation from a newly-hired rainmaker-turned-prof) and STB really like Cornellians. I think Cornell's historical placement is better than Duke's within V100-V10, and comparable to Duke's within V10.
Cornell has a whopping 14 people at S&C, while NYU has 62 and Columbia has 92.
Again, difference in class size.

Also, "last two years".
You're right. NYU's class size is four times the size of Cornell's and Columbia is six times as large. I'll wait until actual data comes around instead of an anonymous person on the internet herp derping about Cornell's newfound elite firm placement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Cornell has good placement when you look at the V100 as a whole. Placement into the most selective firms? Not so much.

Presence in the V5:

NYU: 333
Columbia: 467

Cornell: 83
Your failure to take class size into consideration is very problematic.
So take class size into account. I didn't think it would take a genius to do so. Jesus, no wonder you're at Cornell. Unless you want to tell me that NYU is four times the size of Cornell and Columbia is roughly six times Cornell's size, the numbers still scream that Cornell sucks (relatively so) at placement into the most elite firms.
That's my emphasis. When you present data, you cannot omit a factor that's literally half of the equation. If you do, that's very problematic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote: That's my emphasis. When you present data, you cannot omit a factor that's literally half of the equation. If you do, that's very problematic.
How about you do the math for me, champ? And yes, I can and I did omit a factor that essentially everybody on this website should be able to do in his head. Shoot me.

Edit: also, lol at that being "very problematic." wtf

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That's my emphasis. When you present data, you cannot omit a factor that's literally half of the equation. If you do, that's very problematic.
No one was omitting anything important. He just assumed the reader would be smart enough to realize that even taking class size into account, those numbers are not comparable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:That's my emphasis. When you present data, you cannot omit a factor that's literally half of the equation. If you do, that's very problematic.
No one was omitting anything important. He just assumed the reader would be smart enough to realize that even taking class size into account, those numbers are not comparable.
I am not saying that Cornell = T6.

But the way that poster presented the data showed that either he/she did not know the importance of ratio/percentage, or he/she was trying to exaggerate the difference in employment data.

When you try to present comparative data, you just don't assume away the denominator. That's just basic math.

Peace out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I am not saying that Cornell = T6.
Cornell has always been up there with the T6+Penn

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
As far as I know, S&C (at least in the last two years, due to high recommendation from a newly-hired rainmaker-turned-prof) and STB really like Cornellians. I think Cornell's historical placement is better than Duke's within V100-V10, and comparable to Duke's within V10.

Also, "last two years".
You're right. NYU's class size is four times the size of Cornell's and Columbia is six times as large. I'll wait until actual data comes around instead of an anonymous person on the internet herp derping about Cornell's newfound elite firm placement.
Cornell: about 195 per class
NYU: about 450 per class
Columbia: about 400 per class

NYU's placement rate is still higher, but there are a lot of factors (such as moving into government or the judiciary) skewing the picture.

The more important issue is why am I arguing with myself?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote: NYU's placement rate is still higher, but there are a lot of factors (such as moving into government or the judiciary) skewing the picture.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Cornell put a higher percentage of its class into private law firms, to the exclusion of public interest, etc., than other T14 schools?

e.g. for the class of 2009, Cornell put 4% of their class into government/public interest while NYU placed 10% of their class into public interest. For C/O 2010, Cornell was at 15% government/public interest (LOL at 4x more students "self-selecting" into public interest work) and NYU was at 19%.

Maybe your argument is that Cornell students move from private practice -> government/public interest more than NYU students, for example, but this seems like a weird suggestion to make without some kind of proof.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:52 pm

OP...

You want to change the title to reflect the Cornell/NYU pissing contest?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:04 pm

GULC 2L here. Almost all of my friends who participated in EIW, our biglaw OCI program, got at least one offer. It generally seems like top 50% was able to snag at least one offer this year. People higher in the class usually had multiple offers. This is anecdotal, of course.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:17 pm

Different GULC 2L here.

I think top 20% was pretty biglaw secure, especially if they focused on NYC. But, I do know of a few people in that range who struck out at EIW.

Of the people below top third but above median, about half seemed to hustle at least one offer, but plenty did not.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Also, "last two years".
Whoa, I didn't know Columbia's class was 6.5 times bigger than Cornell's.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:14 pm

Cornell @ median. 24 screeners in NYC and bunch more at the other regional/on campus fairs. 1 CB. 0 offers. Yes, I'm a decent interviewer. Not everyone loves all Cornellians.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”