Offers Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Offers Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone know how long:
bingham cb --> offer?
It's been 4 weeks since my interview at the Boston office and I'm still waiting to hear. They said my application is still under consideration.

steve_nash

Bronze

Post by steve_nash » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:41 pm

Last edited by steve_nash on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:30 pm

i dont think people should take cold shoulders after a CB to mean that it is a reflection on your interviewing skills. Moreso than ever ITE, i DO believe firms are tiering their callbacks, regardless of how great you were. I think the Harvards/stanfords/ chicagos of the world are going to have the best options, and for the rest of us in the lower tiered schools, we just have to hope that there will be a few people who reject an offer and open things up a bit. It might take a while.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:31 pm

anyone heard from baker & Mckenzie chicago? i interviewed with them on the 10th and still nothing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i dont think people should take cold shoulders after a CB to mean that it is a reflection on your interviewing skills. Moreso than ever ITE, i DO believe firms are tiering their callbacks, regardless of how great you were. I think the Harvards/stanfords/ chicagos of the world are going to have the best options, and for the rest of us in the lower tiered schools, we just have to hope that there will be a few people who reject an offer and open things up a bit. It might take a while.

I think this is very accurate. It's been almost 4 weeks since one of my CB's, and there's nothing. I have a feeling I'm on some sort of waitlist, because to my knowledge the hiring committee met sometime last week. I've checked my mail everyday, and haven't gotten the rejection yet. This leads me to believe they must be waiting on their "top guns" to accept before extending anything else out.

I won't lie. This whole waiting process has been really excruciating. Sigh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i dont think people should take cold shoulders after a CB to mean that it is a reflection on your interviewing skills. Moreso than ever ITE, i DO believe firms are tiering their callbacks, regardless of how great you were. I think the Harvards/stanfords/ chicagos of the world are going to have the best options, and for the rest of us in the lower tiered schools, we just have to hope that there will be a few people who reject an offer and open things up a bit. It might take a while.

I think this is very accurate. It's been almost 4 weeks since one of my CB's, and there's nothing. I have a feeling I'm on some sort of waitlist, because to my knowledge the hiring committee met sometime last week. I've checked my mail everyday, and haven't gotten the rejection yet. This leads me to believe they must be waiting on their "top guns" to accept before extending anything else out.

under this circumstance, would it help, hurt, or have no effect if we call them to ask for a rough timetable?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

under this circumstance, would it help, hurt, or have no effect if we call them to ask for a rough timetable?

I'm the second quoted person above-- for what it's worth I contacted the firm early last week and found out that the committee was meeting later in that same week, with decisions to be communicated soon thereafter. It's now nearly a week since they said I'd hear back, and I've got nothing. :/

I guess I'm just going to wait and not make any other communications. Is that reasonable? I can't help but try to read into every event/communication.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm the second quoted person above-- for what it's worth I contacted the firm early last week and found out that the committee was meeting later in that same week, with decisions to be communicated soon thereafter. It's now nearly a week since they said I'd hear back, and I've got nothing. :/

I guess I'm just going to wait and not make any other communications. Is that reasonable? I can't help but try to read into every event/communication.
In your case it seems like it didn't hurt. My primary concern was that our inquiry might lead to their giving us a quicker decision than they're ready for (thus, hastening our rejection when we could have remained on the waitlist).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote: In your case it seems like it didn't hurt. My primary concern was that our inquiry might lead to their giving us a quicker decision than they're ready for (thus, hastening our rejection when we could have remained on the waitlist).
Yeah, I was scared when I contacted them..but I figured they are used to these sorts of questions. After I found out I'd hear soon, I got excited, only to be disappointed yet again, lol.

I think firms (especially those with small summer classes) are really taking their time. It's truly a buyer's market from their perspective. In the long haul, I don't care if they even take another week, as long as there is an offer at the end of all this. Good luck..

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:10 pm

I think the thing that stinks about all of this is that-- while everyone knows firms are acting very deliberately with EVERY decision-- the firms do not communicate that to the "lower tiered" people. The don't tell us their thought process, and we are sit to guess and wonder our chances. I received two letters last week that i was for certain were the rejection letters i had been dreading only to find out they were "let us know in the coming weeks if you decide to take offers elsewhere." They were essentially saying "we are going to hold on to you and if something else falls through you might get a call." I assume this is like "no news is good news" and i will take it for now.. Anyone wanna take a guess at the chances of getting an offer after receiving one of these letters?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:12 am

I'm in the same boat with a different firm. 3 weeks since CB and nothing but silence. I thought it went well, and the firm said it could be a few weeks but I'd like to at least check in and see what's going on.

Would it be better to call or email the recruiting director? I feel like email is more impersonal but a phone call could be perceived as pushy/annoying. For those who have done this or are thinking about it, what is the consensus?

Thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the same boat with a different firm. 3 weeks since CB and nothing but silence. I thought it went well, and the firm said it could be a few weeks but I'd like to at least check in and see what's going on.

Would it be better to call or email the recruiting director? I feel like email is more impersonal but a phone call could be perceived as pushy/annoying. For those who have done this or are thinking about it, what is the consensus?

Thanks
I don't think an email hurts. I know that I am in the "holding" zone for two firms. One sent a letter about 3 weeks after my CB (following the same timeline they indicated during the CB) the other hasn't expressly communicated that I'm on hold pending acceptance/rejection of other offers, but it's fairly clear given that offers and rejections have gone out, I've received neither, and am still being invited to "offer events."

I have an offer, but those two above are my top picks, so I'm going to wait it out another 2 weeks and see.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:55 pm

Anyone heard anything from OMM (NY) yet?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:11 pm

Are offer calls generally made end of business day?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are offer calls generally made end of business day?
I got mine at 5pm on Friday - but it probably just depends when the hiring committee meets...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are offer calls generally made end of business day?
I got mine at 5pm on Friday - but it probably just depends when the hiring committee meets...
I got one at 10AM, and the other at 4PM. No pattern that I can see.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:27 pm

how long after an interview should we begin to worry?

DO you think the firms are still waiting on people to decline, accept? In other words, where are we at in this whole process, overall? If there is such a thing...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:how long after an interview should we begin to worry?

DO you think the firms are still waiting on people to decline, accept? In other words, where are we at in this whole process, overall? If there is such a thing...
I just accepted an offer that came a month after CB. They didn't do any offers until all CBs were done. Made only X offers to fill X spots (50% of this years summer class) and will be making offers to more as original offers get turned down.

There is hope.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:47 pm

At a social event last week, I talked to a person on the hiring committee of a major firm. This person admitted that after callbacks they send out some immediate acceptances and rejections (the obvious cases on either side), and they discuss the middle group at length, leaving them on a 'maybe' pile as long as necessary, while they wait for offer acceptances/rejections to roll in.

It seemed to indicate that at least as far as this firm is concerned, so long as you are exactly what they are looking for, you're in just as fast as in any other year. But if you're a decent candidate on the right side of the borderline, you suffer from the fact that their priority is not to overhire.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At a social event last week, I talked to a person on the hiring committee of a major firm. This person admitted that after callbacks they send out some immediate acceptances and rejections (the obvious cases on either side), and they discuss the middle group at length, leaving them on a 'maybe' pile as long as necessary, while they wait for offer acceptances/rejections to roll in.

It seemed to indicate that at least as far as this firm is concerned, so long as you are exactly what they are looking for, you're in just as fast as in any other year. But if you're a decent candidate on the right side of the borderline, you suffer from the fact that their priority is not to overhire.
Anonymous User wrote:At a social event last week, I talked to a person on the hiring committee of a major firm. This person admitted that after callbacks they send out some immediate acceptances and rejections (the obvious cases on either side), and they discuss the middle group at length, leaving them on a 'maybe' pile as long as necessary, while they wait for offer acceptances/rejections to roll in.

This is the impression I get as well. I'm told that they are only cautiously giving out offers and small offices are tending to give them out little by little and then hear back, as opposed to giving them out all at once/rolling and then having way more acceptances than expected. It makes sense on their end.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:07 pm

How are offers typically made? By snail mail or phone call?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:56 am

I'm guessing this is just a reflection on how often I check this board, but this question has been asked several times and could easily have been answered by looking through the post or using common sense.

But here's the answer... the norm is offer via phone, rejections via mail.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:37 am

Got a "sorry for the delay" phone call today. Very surprising. None of the other firms that have (presumably) waitlisted me have bothered to do this--it's a nice thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:46 am

Got an email from a Chi firm telling me I was "on hold" yesterday. I'll be letting them know on Monday that I accepted another offer yesterday.

Feels good having the process over.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:39 pm

Anyone hear anything from OMM (NY)?!? I am still waiting and have heard of nothing but dings this far. Any information would be greatly appreciated

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”