Amazon In-House Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Amazon In-House

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:19 pm

Does anyone have a take on Amazon as an in-house landing spot?

Sixth year associate at a V10 firm considering a Corporate Counsel role at Amazon.

Curious to hear, how's work-life balance? Average hours per week? For current or former Amazon employees, is the RSU vesting schedule negotiable? I've heard it's pretty rough (friend of a friend said RSUs vest after 4 years).

Grateful for any insights.

nealric

Re: Amazon In-House

Post by nealric » Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:18 pm

No experience with Amazon specifically, but RSUs and other stock incentives typically vest over a period of years but not all at once. So, for example, if your stock vests over 4 years, 25% will vest each year after the grant. 3-years is more typical in my industry, but I don't know about Amazon. For in-house jobs generally, the vesting schedule is usually not negotiable (because it's tied to a plan that applies to all stock award eligible employees) but the target award is.

I do know people in non-legal roles at Amazon who have reasonable W/L balance (certainly better than Biglaw), but I've also heard of Biglaw-level hours in some cases. With in-house jobs, your specific team/boss will make a huge difference. Having an honest conversation with the hiring manager (usually the person who will be your boss) about w/l balance (ideally after you have an offer) is a good idea if that's a concern.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:43 pm

OP here: Thanks for the background on RSUs and other helpful insight, really appreciate it!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:50 pm

Amazon’s vesting schedule is among the worst in Big Tech. You get 5% after one year and one month, and another 15% after a second year and month. Most don’t make it to the second year - the company is known for working you into the ground and then firing you/PIPing you right before you’re due your vesting of RSUs.

Avoid, OP.

- Signed, a former Amazonian

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:11 am

Amazon is among the least desirable of the big tech companies imo. They do make up for the shit vesting schedule with a "bonus" cash payment payable over the first year or two, but still lag behind other big tech companies in other aspects: culture of working employees to the ground, lack of on-site benefits (no free meals or snacks), no days off for certain federal holidays (like Juneteenth), etc. I'd avoid unless it's your only in-house offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”