February bar and hiring Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

February bar and hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 25, 2024 12:01 pm

Recent grad from a HYSC school. My wife is having a baby later this year so I am thinking it is best to push to the February bar exam. While I could cram and try to get it done in July, I am not a confident test taker (despite getting into a good law school) and would much rather slowly study to get more confident. Cramming for July would also probably force me to miss some major appointments and preparations for the baby. I am hoping to get to the point where 100% of studying is done and I am just reviewing for a few months after the baby is born. I also figured if I got hired after the July bar, I would be taking some paternity time off pretty much right after starting a job.

I do not have a job lined up yet, as I didn't seriously start pursuing one until recently as I was unsure if I even wanted to practice after graduating. Will any firms (I am not necessarily just interested in big law) look at me poorly for waiting to take the bar in feburary due to these circumstances? If I do wait until February, when should I start reaching out and applying? I am already networking like crazy but haven't gotten to the point of explaning that I am waiting to take the Feb. bar.

I also plan to work part time in a flexible position right now that relates closely to the type of law I want to practice.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: February bar and hiring

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Sat May 25, 2024 12:32 pm

Assuming you actually want to practice, post-graduation job hunt will be easier once barred and "passed the exam but not done with the process yet" is the next-best thing.

Taking in February might raise concerns that you failed your first attempt. But your family situation is IMO a reasonable explanation that you can bring up in interviews.

Whether you have a concerning resume gap depends on what you're doing meanwhile.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 25, 2024 1:06 pm

OP Here. With everything going on, would it be better to take and fail July than wait and be much more confident in Feb? CA exam, FWIW. Obviously don't want to fail, but I have barely even started bar prep yet.

ignorantfoot33

New

Post by ignorantfoot33 » Sat May 25, 2024 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 1:06 pm
OP Here. With everything going on, would it be better to take and fail July than wait and be much more confident in Feb? CA exam, FWIW. Obviously don't want to fail, but I have barely even started bar prep yet.
For what it's worth, you're not really behind yet. I didn't start bar prep in earnest until after Memorial Day last year. Once I started, I studied M-F 9-5ish (with an hour break for lunch). A few times I took days off during the week (my birthday, because I was tired, etc). Not CA, but I took DC last year and passed with a generous margin.

Granted, having a baby changes a lot and I have never experienced that. However, I don't want you to think you have to be out of the running for July because you haven't started yet, or because you might take time to go to appointments or run errands to prepare for your child.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 26, 2024 12:14 am

I'm a parent of multiple kids (some born before and during law school, some during practice). You can and should study while you have a baby. Your life doesn't just go on hold. If you delay becoming an attorney by 6 months a lot of people are going to doubt your commitment to the profession. And maybe they should, since you yourself are unsure if you want to practice.

I hope this isn't too harsh -- or actually maybe it isn't harsh enough. You need a wake up call. How do you plan on supporting your growing family without having done the basics of trying to get a job on the normal schedule?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 26, 2024 9:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 12:14 am
I'm a parent of multiple kids (some born before and during law school, some during practice). You can and should study while you have a baby. Your life doesn't just go on hold. If you delay becoming an attorney by 6 months a lot of people are going to doubt your commitment to the profession. And maybe they should, since you yourself are unsure if you want to practice.

I hope this isn't too harsh -- or actually maybe it isn't harsh enough. You need a wake up call. How do you plan on supporting your growing family without having done the basics of trying to get a job on the normal schedule?
Maybe a little harsh but I think the substance of this post is right. You are obviously smart and good at school, there is no reason you cannot pass the bar in these circumstances.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”