Top Houston Firms? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CheekyDude

New

Top Houston Firms?

Post by CheekyDude » Sat May 25, 2024 11:36 am

Hey Y'all, I am starting applications for pre-oci and was wondering what firms I should be targeting. I am around top 12% at UH, and I am only interested in Corporate. I am primarily interested in M&A, but also interested in Capital Markets.

As a first-gen, I am trying to get a gauge of lists of firms that are well-respected in the area, as I am not from Houston, but plan on staying after graduation. I know the top firms are V&E/K&E/L&W and then Sidley and GBC are close behind. But was wondering about other firms that Y'all think I should be gunning for outside of those, if those do not work out. I am drawn to Simpson and Skadden because of how nationally they are ranked, but have heard they aren't big players in Houston.

I am not married to the idea of staying in Houston forever, but would like to be somewhere that amximized my opportunities here, but also not limiting myself if I do decide to leave Texas.

Appreciate any and all advice/help!

JiveTurkey

New

Re: Top Houston Firms?

Post by JiveTurkey » Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:36 pm

I think you’d be fine to apply to all of those firms listed, and assuming you interview well, one of them will probably work out.

Pretty sure Simpson’s HTX office is primarily a banking outpost, not an M&A hub. Just an FYI.

nealric

Re: Top Houston Firms?

Post by nealric » Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:23 am

You'll want to apply basically everywhere. Doing lots of interviews can help you meet people and get a better sense of what each firm is like. I wouldn't discount the more local firms (BB/Bracewell/Hayboo, etc.). They aren't going to be doing massive deals like Kirkland, but they are more likely to provide meaningful mentorship/development to a junior.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”