Firm barring summers from trying litigation work Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firm barring summers from trying litigation work

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2024 1:23 pm

Heard there is a v10 firm that is forcing summers to only do corporate work and barring them from trying lit -- and further insisting that should the summers want to do litigation after they graduate, they will lose offers. Which firm is this?

Anonymous User

Re: Firm barring summers from trying litigation work

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2024 2:18 pm

likely the firm told its corporate summers that they’re hired for corporate and if they use their SA to retrade into lit then they lose the offer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2024 3:29 pm

Which firm is this?

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue May 14, 2024 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 2:18 pm
likely the firm told its corporate summers that they’re hired for corporate and if they use their SA to retrade into lit then they lose the offer
Yeah, this is kind of normal?

"You were recruited for transactional. If you insist on litigation, you're constructively declining our offer."

This is more or less firm/explicit, depending on how the market is doing, but it's pretty standard at the big NYC offices where litigation is always oversubscribed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2024 12:45 pm

My v10 told me that I could pick whatever I wanted at the end of the summer and get it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2024 10:38 pm

Which firms even recruit that firmly into practice areas? I had one of ~12 offers that was in any way tied to a practice group and that was for a firm's high-profile litigation practice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 15, 2024 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 10:38 pm
Which firms even recruit that firmly into practice areas? I had one of ~12 offers that was in any way tied to a practice group and that was for a firm's high-profile litigation practice.
I believe most firms at this point hire into either transactional or litigation. That's not specific practice groups, but it is a firm designation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 15, 2024 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 12:32 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I believe most firms at this point hire into either transactional or litigation. That's not specific practice groups, but it is a firm designation.
Formally most do, but anecdotally most also allow group changes (at least between larger groups). Categorical bars on group changes definitely wasn't the norm last summer, at least among the firms I and my friends were at.

I also think that, like everything else in the law, there's more leeway given to people from particularly prestigious schools. If you're the one person in the summer class from YLS, you'll probably be given more flex than if you're one of thirty people from Wake Forest, for example. Similarly, if you can get other gold stars (e.g. a clerkship), firms seem more willing to let you move around.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2024 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 7:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Formally most do, but anecdotally most also allow group changes (at least between larger groups). Categorical bars on group changes definitely wasn't the norm last summer, at least among the firms I and my friends were at.

I also think that, like everything else in the law, there's more leeway given to people from particularly prestigious schools. If you're the one person in the summer class from YLS, you'll probably be given more flex than if you're one of thirty people from Wake Forest, for example. Similarly, if you can get other gold stars (e.g. a clerkship), firms seem more willing to let you move around.
Sure, between Corp/Rx or vice-versa, or from general Corp to a specialty practice (Exec Comp, etc.).

But no firm has ever allowed associates to switch easily from Corp to Lit. The hiring standards are different and Lit is almost always oversubscribed. The closest example I can think of is Latham, where associates have a one-year ramp to decide their practice group, and even there I think litigation summers get hired implicitly on a different standard and understanding than corporate summers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2024 12:07 pm

Saying there's leeway to ppl with higher credentials is meaningless. Of course if someone can easily get another job and the firm wants to keep them, they'll be flexible. Doesn't change that it's pretty standard these days to hire specifically into one of the two main broader groups. It's not off market at all for a firm to refuse a request to change from transactional to litigation.

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Thu May 16, 2024 12:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 10:49 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sure, between Corp/Rx or vice-versa, or from general Corp to a specialty practice (Exec Comp, etc.).

But no firm has ever allowed associates to switch easily from Corp to Lit. The hiring standards are different and Lit is almost always oversubscribed. The closest example I can think of is Latham, where associates have a one-year ramp to decide their practice group, and even there I think litigation summers get hired implicitly on a different standard and understanding than corporate summers.
i feel like it's common for firms to let summers try corp and lit, and allow them to choose between at the end.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2024 3:13 pm

jotarokujo wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 12:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

i feel like it's common for firms to let summers try corp and lit, and allow them to choose between at the end.
False. That's the exception, not the norm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2024 2:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 3:13 pm
False. That's the exception, not the norm.
Could you elaborate? I am the commenter who said exactly one of my offers was tied to a practice group.

I have not heard of that level of restriction from pretty much any of my classmates. Maybe geographic markets differ or something, but what you are describing is not at all the norm among people I know.

When does this sorting/triaging occur? Because it definitely doesn't happen through OCI at my school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2024 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

K&E’s pretty accepting of it, or at least was last summer in NY. I knew a bunch of people who went corp -> lit or rx -> lit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2024 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 11:55 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

K&E’s pretty accepting of it, or at least was last summer in NY. I knew a bunch of people who went corp -> lit or rx -> lit.
K&E Chicago allowed corp summers to take one or two lit projects from the assignment bank, but did not let anyone switch into lit. Several tried, but to no avail. If non-lit summers signed up for IP Lit projects, the partner would call them to boot them off the project.

So maybe there's a link between hiring standards/need & how chill the firm is with letting corp summers try/switch into lit?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 18, 2024 1:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 12:21 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

K&E Chicago allowed corp summers to take one or two lit projects from the assignment bank, but did not let anyone switch into lit. Several tried, but to no avail. If non-lit summers signed up for IP Lit projects, the partner would call them to boot them off the project.

So maybe there's a link between hiring standards/need & how chill the firm is with letting corp summers try/switch into lit?
Obviously not Kirkland, but according to friend's anecdotes, S&C gives unrestricted offers and you opt into a group when you accept and can re-trade after accepting up until like Christmas-ish.

Have a few friends who did split summers, opted for corp and then swapped to lit as well as a friend who summered full send on FIG and accepted a lit offer out of nowhere. All of them are still in the lit group there 3 years later

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 18, 2024 10:40 am

Fwiw as an anecdote when I was at DPW I recieved an open offer for both but when I got there it was pretty clear that I was going to be offered only litigation based on my mentor assignments, placement in office, etc... This was true in my friends in corporate who got "open" offers for both. So this is all to say that they give open offers but its pretty clear they have a vision of where they want you to go.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon May 27, 2024 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 1:23 pm
Heard there is a v10 firm that is forcing summers to only do corporate work and barring them from trying lit -- and further insisting that should the summers want to do litigation after they graduate, they will lose offers. Which firm is this?
I do not recall the firm name, but it was stated in an ATL article.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 28, 2024 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Really? Also at K&E NY and I know several corporate summers who tried to switch to lit last year and were told no. K&E does hire some summers with a formal split between two of the four practice areas, and not everyone knows who they are because they're still primarily assigned to one practice area. Those summers have an easier time choosing between the two because they were "promised" a choice.

If it's a true switch, I think it really depends on the summers that are trying to make it. Workhorses and summers with gold stars have it easier than those who treated it like summer camp or came with fewer credentials.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2024 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 6:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Really? Also at K&E NY and I know several corporate summers who tried to switch to lit last year and were told no. K&E does hire some summers with a formal split between two of the four practice areas, and not everyone knows who they are because they're still primarily assigned to one practice area. Those summers have an easier time choosing between the two because they were "promised" a choice.

If it's a true switch, I think it really depends on the summers that are trying to make it. Workhorses and summers with gold stars have it easier than those who treated it like summer camp or came with fewer credentials.
TBF the ones I knew of discussed it with the firm before (though w/o a formal split) and all had credentials that would have been fine for lit hiring, so YMMV.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2024 7:03 pm

GDC lets first and second year associates try all different practice areas before committing to one by their third year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 1:36 am
Obviously not Kirkland, but according to friend's anecdotes, S&C gives unrestricted offers and you opt into a group when you accept and can re-trade after accepting up until like Christmas-ish.

Have a few friends who did split summers, opted for corp and then swapped to lit as well as a friend who summered full send on FIG and accepted a lit offer out of nowhere. All of them are still in the lit group there 3 years later
Really? I know someone who got royally fucked by S&C when they tried to switch from lit to corporate after their summer. Just goes to show that this is not only firm/office, but also candidate specific.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:50 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 1:36 am

Really? I know someone who got royally fucked by S&C when they tried to switch from lit to corporate after their summer. Just goes to show that this is not only firm/office, but also candidate specific.
I assume it's timing-dependent. You can re-trade until Christmas [insofar as things will still be pretty flexible by then], but if a mix of 3L recruiting/other people changing their minds/economic pressures change the math there might not be a spot for you. I definitely wouldn't count on being able to switch after the offer acceptance deadline, but it's still possible for a lot of people in a lot of years

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”