Boies 2024 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawclerk2022

New

Boies 2024

Post by Lawclerk2022 » Tue May 07, 2024 11:50 am

May very well be a longshot, but anyone lurking on here able to give insight into how Boies is to work at currently? What are the personalities like of the remaining partners, etc. I really like plaintiff side work so am looking at Boies since that appears to be the vast majority of their remaining work. But would love any insight anyone here has.

Anonymous User

Re: Boies 2024

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2024 12:48 pm

Anon for obvious reasons. I'll just say this: Boies remains one of the best litigation boutiques in the country. The partners all worked under David Boies and have quite literally learned from the best. Reports of the firm's declined are immensely exaggerated. The firm continues to get top of the line work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2024 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 12:48 pm
Anon for obvious reasons. I'll just say this: Boies remains one of the best litigation boutiques in the country. The partners all worked under David Boies and have quite literally learned from the best. Reports of the firm's declined are immensely exaggerated. The firm continues to get top of the line work.
Do you work there currently? And if so, can you provide a little more than a boilerplate review of the culture etc?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2024 9:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 5:06 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Do you work there currently? And if so, can you provide a little more than a boilerplate review of the culture etc?
He absolutely works there. I'm not personally at Boies, but my best friend is and I work with them as co-counsel on a few cases. The firm has definitely dropped off significantly. They are still good lawyers for sure. But that's just how things work when you build your practice around one person (Susman has lost a step with Steve, WS depends on Beth, etc.). There's 0 doubt that they've dropped to anyone being objective.

Now, culturally, I think it really depends. They have some very toxic partners and some good ones. What cases you're staffed on plays a huge role in what your experience will be. The work they do is fine, and you'll likely get more experience than the huge NYC firms. However, partners there fight for any experience they can get and very little substantive/standup experience is passed down the ranks. At best, you might represent the firm at M&Cs but have no real decision-making authority. It always surprises me how the partners clamor to be first or second chair at relatively unimportant depos.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2024 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 9:40 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
He absolutely works there. I'm not personally at Boies, but my best friend is and I work with them as co-counsel on a few cases. The firm has definitely dropped off significantly. They are still good lawyers for sure. But that's just how things work when you build your practice around one person (Susman has lost a step with Steve, WS depends on Beth, etc.). There's 0 doubt that they've dropped to anyone being objective.

Now, culturally, I think it really depends. They have some very toxic partners and some good ones. What cases you're staffed on plays a huge role in what your experience will be. The work they do is fine, and you'll likely get more experience than the huge NYC firms. However, partners there fight for any experience they can get and very little substantive/standup experience is passed down the ranks. At best, you might represent the firm at M&Cs but have no real decision-making authority. It always surprises me how the partners clamor to be first or second chair at relatively unimportant depos.
The premise of your statement that a firm may drop off when it builds its "practice around one person" may be true, but using Susman as an example is downright counterfactual. Their PPP were through the roof last year. https://www.law.com/law-firm-profile/?i ... odfrey-LLP

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2024 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 8:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The premise of your statement that a firm may drop off when it builds its "practice around one person" may be true, but using Susman as an example is downright counterfactual. Their PPP were through the roof last year. https://www.law.com/law-firm-profile/?i ... odfrey-LLP
Agreed, Susman feels like the exception to the rule.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2024 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you! This was super helpful. I get a ton of substantive experience (relatively) at my biglaw firm so sounds like going to boies would actually be a massive downgrade

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2024 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 8:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How much of that was Dominion tho

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2024 9:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 12:29 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not as much as you'd think.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2024 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 12:29 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

PPE-wise sure, but I'm fairly certain Susman has cemented itself with a certain staying power that Boies does not yet have. The whole game with these firms is that there is a snowball effect, elite partners attract mre elite partners and associates and then you do this for long enough and boom you're a stable firm. If you're argument is that susman being in the top 5 most profitable firms is a one-off of Dominion then yeah probably. Nature of their work is probably also going to have larger up and downs I bet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2024 5:17 pm

Plaintiffs’ firms bob up and down the top 100 PPP ranks like a corks in rough water

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”