How much would one bad job experience hurt c and fitness Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawschoolsplit2023

New

How much would one bad job experience hurt c and fitness

Post by lawschoolsplit2023 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:36 pm

I am planning on graduating law school 2029 and taking June bar exam that year in nyc. I am really freaking out if I should take bar in ny that year or do so in Illinois (Chicago purposes) for a year before taking bar in nyc.

Reason is because for ny c and f , all jobs even legal ones in undergrad non paid internships within past 10 years have to be listed.

My internship was only 4 mos in 2019. I had perfect evaluations too so never was in trouble and left on stellar terms when internship was over. The issues happened after I left - a relative emailing managing attorney my name was smeared, him having to track down hundreds inside and outside firm spreading rumors of him and I with lies we had feelings, then possible negative things people shared when he spoked to them (ie I was a liar or manipulative) .

So if 2029 rolls around and I apply for ny bar and I list say 5 positions in past decade including this internship but have stellar things said about me from at least 2-3 legal gigs can that outweigh any negative things old intern boss could say? He would have to put I did excellent per my evals but on additional category where it asks reasons applicant may be unfit he could say I was reckless, unprofessional, liar contributed to rumors, so could at least 3 other glowing reports counteract this internship that will be 10 years old? (Btw have blemish free record too nothing criminal or civil financially responsible etc)

Anonymous User

Re: How much would one bad job experience hurt c and fitness

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:41 pm

This is not a C&F issue. No one will care what one employer from an internship 10 years ago has to say about you (even if he goes to the trouble of saying the things you fear). You will be fine.

nealric

Re: How much would one bad job experience hurt c and fitness

Post by nealric » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:40 am

CF isn't an evaluation of whether you are a good employee. It's a screening to make sure you aren't a crook or a fraud. They aren't likely to do an in-depth interview of past employers absent some unusual circumstance (especially one from long-ago).

Most people with potential CF issues know long in advance. Usually, they were convicted of a crime prior to law school. Convicted murders have managed to get through CF by convincing the bar they are reformed. Beyond crimes, things like serious tax (or other debt) delinquencies, civil fraud (especially financial in nature), or cheating in law school could get you into trouble.

If you have any doubts, there are attorneys that specialize in resolving CF issues. I'd encourage you to talk to one. We don't really have all of the details from a couple of forum posts.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”