Should I ask for work? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Gucci Loafers

New

Should I ask for work?

Post by Gucci Loafers » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:38 am

I'm an intern in a law firm sitting in the a transactional team. I barely got assigned work because it's a slow period for this industry; but even when I do, it's mostly boring and repetitive (e.g. reviewing contracts already reviewd, updating cross-references, and sometimes doing some legal research - which is more intelectual). I understand that you must build reliability first to get assigned more interesting work, but it's so depressing the mundanity of it that I can't stand it.

At this point, I spend my time learning other things and reading contracts or memos to not waste my time (seniors don't mind) so I can expand knowledge, and I also push back on any type of tasks that I don't find important.

So my question is what you would do in my position. Would you continue doing what I already do (I won't remain in this law firm so don't care about how my work ethic is viewed), or should I do something different? I prefer reading than wasting brain power on extremely boring things, but let me know your thoughts, maybe I have a wrong perspective on this situation, and you could offer some long-term benefits of doing even what I see as useless tasks.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Re: Should I ask for work?

Post by gregfootball2001 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:56 pm

Gucci Loafers wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:38 am
I'm an intern in a law firm sitting in the a transactional team. I barely got assigned work because it's a slow period for this industry; but even when I do, it's mostly boring and repetitive (e.g. reviewing contracts already reviewd, updating cross-references, and sometimes doing some legal research - which is more intelectual). I understand that you must build reliability first to get assigned more interesting work, but it's so depressing the mundanity of it that I can't stand it.

At this point, I spend my time learning other things and reading contracts or memos to not waste my time (seniors don't mind) so I can expand knowledge, and I also push back on any type of tasks that I don't find important.

So my question is what you would do in my position. Would you continue doing what I already do (I won't remain in this law firm so don't care about how my work ethic is viewed), or should I do something different? I prefer reading than wasting brain power on extremely boring things, but let me know your thoughts, maybe I have a wrong perspective on this situation, and you could offer some long-term benefits of doing even what I see as useless tasks.
Why are you there? If you are there because you plan on being in law in the future, I recommend caring about the work ethic you are showing. It is a small profession, and unless you are going to move across the country, it is highly likely that someone at your current office will know people you're interviewing for. If you plan on ever putting this firm on your resume, start caring. Quickly.

What assignments do you think an intern should get? You haven't gone to law school, I'm guessing, and even if you have, you have no experience. Reviewing for typos, updating cross-references, and doing research is what makes you useful.

All of that being said, you should ask to shadow the attorneys as much as you can. Attend hearings, depos, trials if at all possible. Ask if you can listen to the negotiation or if you can sit in on the closing. Listen and see what part of the practice of law is actually about. Take advantage of the fact that you don't have to account for every second of your time as billable, and soak up everything you can. Be enthusiastic, helpful, and willing to do whatever. That's a reputation that would follow you.

Anonymous User

Re: Should I ask for work?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:25 pm

Let people know you have spare time and offer to help with whatever they’re working on.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”