Any downside to interview for lateral and then rejecting offer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Any downside to interview for lateral and then rejecting offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:33 am

I'm a recent midlevel at a NYC firm and a recruiter reached out about a posting with a biglaw firm in my hometown (secondary city with fairly decent legal presence). My plan had been more generally to wait another year or so before moving out of NYC, and potentially returning home, but now I'm faced with the option of interviewing and then needing to move my spouse + kid much more quickly. In addition to this, I'm not exactly sure how I feel about the move, and so am not sure what the decision will ultimately beeven if I receive an offer. My question is:

Are there any cons with having a recruiter send my resume, interviewing, and then rejecting (either with this firm or other firms in the relatively small-ish legal community, when I want to move in a year or two)? Are these partners going to throw my app out when I come back in a year and a half asking for a job? I feel like the decision has to be made soon and the feedback I have gotten indicates that biglaw offers do not open up much in this location or in my field (transactional being slow, etc.)

Thanks

gregfootball2001

Silver

Re: Any downside to interview for lateral and then rejecting offer?

Post by gregfootball2001 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:27 pm

It depends.

First, just know that some people hate being rejected and will hate you for turning them down, especially if they spend any time on you. Just be aware that it's possible.

Second, it depends on how far down the road you go. Many people won't have a problem with someone doing one or two interviews, especially if it's clear from the outset that you're interested but this is mostly exploratory. If you show lots of enthusiasm and go all the way through conflict check, though, they're likely to be turned off.

In the end, is there anything the firm could say that would make you move now? If not and it's just too soon, then turn down the interview and let them know that you would like to reconnect down the road. If there's something the firm could do to tip the scales, consider starting with that so you don't waste time (salary, moving expenses, etc.).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:13 pm

I recently went through a similar interviewing process to the one you’re contemplating and ended up rejecting the offer. The downside is that there will be questions if you reapply later. However, I don’t regret my decision because there were some drawbacks to leaving my current position earlier than anticipated (especially taking a new state’s bar and losing WFH). Plus they lowballed me, so as much their fault as mine.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

I wouldn't interview for a job that you have zero intention of ever taking. But it may be worth it if you are still on the fence. Perhaps the timing is earlier than you wanted, but you are willing to be flexible. Perhaps they are flexible on your start date?

If you do interview, focus on building bridges. Be honest about the timing being earlier than you hoped for- especially if it's a smaller market. Understand that in smaller markets positions may not always be available and you may have to be flexible on timing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”