Am I Crazy For Considering Not Taking In-House Role? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Am I Crazy For Considering Not Taking In-House Role?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:35 am

Need some honest opinions as my own brain keeps spiraling on this topic.

Current 7th year in funds practice, so base salary $420k, bonus potential $115k (although my group has had a slow year to start so this is probably out the window now).

Have an opportunity to go in-house for a fund working under GC. Base comp $275k, total comp $350k-$400k with bonus/carry. I live in a non-NYC city.

I don't hate my biglaw job and could probably make counsel here in next 1-2 years, but I don't think I want to do the grind to be a partner long-term.

I keep wondering if it would be better to wait out moving in-house until I'm at the 9-10th year range so I could get either a more senior role at a bigger fund or maybe a GC role at a smaller shop.

Anyone find that options change drastically if moving as a counsel instead of senior associate?

johndhi

Bronze

Re: Am I Crazy For Considering Not Taking In-House Role?

Post by johndhi » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:22 pm

you don't seem crazy.

I will ask though - if you stay a the firm longer and then go become a GC or more senior in-house, you must realize those jobs are very hard. particularly being a GC - that's the same 'grind' you referred to with trying to make partner. so I'd encourage you to think about that - what do you really want?

this in-house gig seems good, but I'd want to really push to understand how muc hbetter the work life balance is. if it's fantastic and you want that maybe do it.

nealric

Re: Am I Crazy For Considering Not Taking In-House Role?

Post by nealric » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:22 pm

I don't know your specific industry, but at least in mine (energy) there wouldn't be much of a difference between what a 7th year could get and a 10th year counsel could get. A partner might be in a better position if only because they will get more direct client contact.

If you really think your long-term trajectory is in-house, and you like the fund, then I'd go for it. On the other hand, if you think you could make a realistic play for partner or are ambivalent about going in-house it may be worth waiting it out. You should also get a good sense of w/l balance. In a firm, you know it's going to be bad. In-house, it could be anywhere from a chill 30-hour work week to a biglaw grind depending on company culture.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”