KE NSP Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

KE NSP

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:21 pm

Can people provide some more background on KE's NSP system and why so many people want to get out?

I have an offer to join KE as an NSP. I understand that KE is generally not a great place to be but wondering if it's still worth it. For background, I'm a LW senior associate. I don't think I'll make partner at Latham. I'm wondering if it's a viable strategy to go to KE as NSP for a few years, then lateral to a better firm as a "real" partner. Does KE NSP have enough credibility to do that?

Anonymous User

Re: KE NSP

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:21 pm
Can people provide some more background on KE's NSP system and why so many people want to get out?

I have an offer to join KE as an NSP. I understand that KE is generally not a great place to be but wondering if it's still worth it. For background, I'm a LW senior associate. I don't think I'll make partner at Latham. I'm wondering if it's a viable strategy to go to KE as NSP for a few years, then lateral to a better firm as a "real" partner. Does KE NSP have enough credibility to do that?
**Gets popcorn***

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:18 pm

Is the base salary compensation for a Kirkland first-year NSP the same as a senior associate base compensation at similar firms where they don't promote to partnership as early? (i.e., $420k)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:18 pm
Is the base salary compensation for a Kirkland first-year NSP the same as a senior associate base compensation at similar firms where they don't promote to partnership as early? (i.e., $420k)?
Every TLS thread eventually converges to this question. You could have clicked on literally any post in here and gotten an answer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Every TLS thread eventually converges to this question. You could have clicked on literally any post in here and gotten an answer.
There's like 20 topics on the first page in "Legal Employment" and none address that. So it's not "literally any post in here." There's a 37-page Kirkland "mega thread" but it's got reams and reams of posts that don't actually have an answer. If you don't want to answer, just ignore the post. If you're such a regular at TLS, it strikes me you're not someone with such a limited amount of time to spare...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
There's like 20 topics on the first page in "Legal Employment" and none address that. So it's not "literally any post in here." There's a 37-page Kirkland "mega thread" but it's got reams and reams of posts that don't actually have an answer. If you don't want to answer, just ignore the post. If you're such a regular at TLS, it strikes me you're not someone with such a limited amount of time to spare...
Do you even know what the word literally means?

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Kirkland NSP is essentially the same as market for the same class year at a peer firm with a small bump (around 15k). There's a bit of a black box though where different lawyers can get different compositions of base + bonus with different guarantees. Anecdotally, one NSP might get 400k base and a guarantee of 650k year-end total comp as long as they hit 2100 billables while another NSP might get 420k base and no guarantee.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:03 am

gaddockteeg wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:04 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Kirkland NSP is essentially the same as market for the same class year at a peer firm with a small bump (around 15k). There's a bit of a black box though where different lawyers can get different compositions of base + bonus with different guarantees. Anecdotally, one NSP might get 400k base and a guarantee of 650k year-end total comp as long as they hit 2100 billables while another NSP might get 420k base and no guarantee.
Thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:56 pm

This doesn't account for the significant changes in taxes and so on. If you're in Texas NSP is a huge hit. If you're in NY or CA it can be net neutral or even a benefit. There are all kinds of puts and takes on this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GFox345

Bronze

Post by GFox345 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ridiculous terminally online take.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:59 pm

I’ll add that this varies significantly depending if you’re talking about an NSP who’s 7-8 years out of law school (which are paid more or less Cravath scale for those years, with a bunch of complexity that mostly evens out or is maybe slightly worse due to taxes etc) or one who is 9+ years (in which case they have some individualized deal that could range anywhere from 8th year associate comp up to $2m fixed. NSP is a massive, massive bucket of people in all different situations.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”