Stay working in Big 4 Comp & Benefits or do Tax LLM NYU? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Stay working in Big 4 Comp & Benefits or do Tax LLM NYU?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:02 pm

I've been working in the Big 4 doing Exec Comp & Benefits for a couple of months. I eventually would like to go to a midsize law firm or biglaw in maybe a year. Some people say it is very difficult to transition to a law firm while others say it is easy.

If it will be very difficult to go to a law firm, should i go do an NYU tax LLM? I think I will have no problem getting accepted because I have T14 above median credentials. My only concern is that I can very well end up back at the big 4. I was looking at their employment stats and 45% end up working at the big 4. So it seems like a huge risk. Thoughts?

hangtime813

Bronze

Re: Stay working in Big 4 Comp & Benefits or do Tax LLM NYU?

Post by hangtime813 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:26 pm

It's another shot at the apple but i'd probably only do it if i had a substantial scholarship if i were in your shoes.

Any reason why you didnt do biglaw right out of law school? Looks like you have solid credentials for it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:21 pm

hangtime813 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:26 pm
It's another shot at the apple but i'd probably only do it if i had a substantial scholarship if i were in your shoes.

Any reason why you didnt do biglaw right out of law school? Looks like you have solid credentials for it.
I was extremely ill when OCI came around at my school and also never really cared about getting biglaw. My interest grew much stronger after 3L year and after passing the bar.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:40 pm

Do not get your LLM. Your credentials are good enough that you can lateral to a biglaw firm’s exec comp team without it. Market is tougher now than it was a few years ago, but exec comp will always be easier to break into because 1) no one wants to really do it and 2) it’s a lot of M&A support and they need bodies.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:44 pm

2013 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:40 pm
Do not get your LLM. Your credentials are good enough that you can lateral to a biglaw firm’s exec comp team without it. Market is tougher now than it was a few years ago, but exec comp will always be easier to break into because 1) no one wants to really do it and 2) it’s a lot of M&A support and they need bodies.
Your advice is worded strongly. Do you have direct knowledge of anyone who has made such a move ?

Thank you in advance for your response !

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Silver

Post by 2013 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:49 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:44 pm
2013 wrote:
Your advice is worded strongly. Do you have direct knowledge of anyone who has made such a move ?

I don’t know many big4 exec comp folks who moved to biglaw but I know of at least 10 international/M&A people who did during 2021-2022.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:03 pm

2013 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:49 pm
CanadianWolf wrote:
2013 wrote:

I don’t know many big4 exec comp folks who moved to biglaw but I know of at least 10 international/M&A people who did during 2021-2022.
Of the 10 Big 4 folks in International Tax or M&A, how many had earned an LLM ? Also, were any from WNTOs ?

Thank you in advance for any response!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:02 pm
I've been working in the Big 4 doing Exec Comp & Benefits for a couple of months. I eventually would like to go to a midsize law firm or biglaw in maybe a year. Some people say it is very difficult to transition to a law firm while others say it is easy.

If it will be very difficult to go to a law firm, should i go do an NYU tax LLM? I think I will have no problem getting accepted because I have T14 above median credentials. My only concern is that I can very well end up back at the big 4. I was looking at their employment stats and 45% end up working at the big 4. So it seems like a huge risk. Thoughts?
I cannot address your specialty area of executive compensation & benefits, but it is not easy to move from Big 4 to biglaw due to biglaw's desire for generalists and Big 4's business model of specialization. Nevertheless, executive compensation is a specialty area in both biglaw & Big 4 accounting/consulting firms.

Because of the significant difference in compensation between Big 4 and biglaw, consider applying to both NYU's tax llm program and to multiple law firms to generate concrete options.

If you do not receive any offers from law firms for your specialty area, then earning an NYU tax llm degree may be needed to get a second chance at biglaw tax.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:16 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:03 pm
2013 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:
2013 wrote:

Of the 10 Big 4 folks in International Tax or M&A, how many had earned an LLM ? Also, were any from WNTOs ?

Thank you in advance for any response!
I think almost all but two were NYU LLMs. None were WNTOs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dyemond

Bronze

Post by dyemond » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:41 pm

2013 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:
2013 wrote:

People need to internalize that the 2021-2022 market was probably the best market in 15 years and datapoints from that market are essentially worthless. V10s were hiring top 1/3 and top 1/4 from T100s, it was insane.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:05 pm

dyemond wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:41 pm
2013 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:
2013 wrote:

People need to internalize that the 2021-2022 market was probably the best market in 15 years and datapoints from that market are essentially worthless. V10s were hiring top 1/3 and top 1/4 from T100s, it was insane.
I looked at some threads of people making the switch before 2020 because thats before that crazy time haha.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:23 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:09 pm
cannot
Do you know if getting a tax LLM at NYU at least gets you into the WNT group at the big 4? I think that would be more substantive experience. I'm really scared that I go get an LLM and end back at the same spot. Im only a first year so if I want to get a tax LLM I should probably do it this fall because I don't want to take a gap year. Or work here till next year, see if I can dip as a 2nd year to biglaw or WNT and if I cant then start the LLM program in Fall 2025 and take the risk? Thoughts about this plan? Better to apply and start LLM this fall (2024) or wait since i'm only a 1st year?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:23 pm
CanadianWolf wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:09 pm
cannot
Do you know if getting a tax LLM at NYU at least gets you into the WNT group at the big 4? I think that would be more substantive experience. I'm really scared that I go get an LLM and end back at the same spot. Im only a first year so if I want to get a tax LLM I should probably do it this fall because I don't want to take a gap year. Or work here till next year, see if I can dip as a 2nd year to biglaw or WNT and if I cant then start the LLM program in Fall 2025 and take the risk? Thoughts about this plan? Better to apply and start LLM this fall (2024) or wait since i'm only a 1st year?
It is unclear as to whether or not an NYU LLM degree in Taxation would be a near-certain entry into a Big 4 WNT office as the interview process requires both experienced based know-how/knowledge and academic knowledge, but it would certainly increase one's chances. ( However, I know of at least one prominent non-Big 4 accounting firm that requires 8 or more years of experience in a particular practice area in order to be given consideration for a position.)

Big 4 WNT hiring practices, as well as needs, vary and, therefore, are not uniform.

Recent NYU tax llm grads are hired by Big 4 WNT offices, but I am not sure as to how much one's prior work experience factors into the process--and this will vary by economic climate. In a high-demand, fast-moving market all will be overwhelmed with work so recruiting will focus on experienced hires.

An NYU tax llm degree should get you more money than one with light experience and no prestigious tax llm degree.

NYU tax llm program participates in a hiring fair each year (TIP--tax interview program) with Georgetown tax llm grads. If you ask NYU's tax llm program admissions folks for a list of employer participants, you should receive better info. than I can offer.( At TIP, all tax llm candidates are pre-screened by employers before being granted an interview.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:06 pm

FWIW: Four other tax llm programs participate in TARE--tax attorney recruiting event. I believe that interviews are granted based on a bidding system rather than on pre-screening of applicant resumes.

The four tax llm programs which participate in TARE are Northwestern, Boston University, University of Florida, and University of California--Irvine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:21 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:06 pm
FWIW: Four other tax llm programs participate in TARE--tax attorney recruiting event. I believe that interviews are granted based on a bidding system rather than on pre-screening of applicant resumes.

The four tax llm programs which participate in TARE are Northwestern, Boston University, University of Florida, and University of California--Irvine.
You know anything about going from big 4 to IRS? How would I make that move?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:09 am

OP: Read about NYU tax llm recruiting on another site. Executive Comp can be a very active recruiting area. Locations included NYC, Boston, & Silicon Valley. Based on what I read, you should not have any problem getting a law firm position in Executive Compensation from NYU's tax llm program since you have current work experience in this specialty area.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:21 pm
CanadianWolf wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:06 pm

You know anything about going from big 4 to IRS? How would I make that move?
Go to usajobs.gov website.

Some experienced folks have been trying for years to get with the IRS in DC. Just need to find a match on usajobs.gov. Hiring process takes several months for most.

IRS field offices are easier than DC especially if experienced in tax controversy & litigation. Again, check usajobs.gov.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:58 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:09 am
OP: Read about NYU tax llm recruiting on another site. Executive Comp can be a very active recruiting area. Locations included NYC, Boston, & Silicon Valley. Based on what I read, you should not have any problem getting a law firm position in Executive Compensation from NYU's tax llm program since you have current work experience in this specialty area.
Will do thanks. I live in the west coast so i'd hope to come back here after NYU's LLM. I think I will give it 1 year to see if the economy gets better and if I can make the switch. That way I will have more experience in the field since i'm just a first year. The economy has been so shit that many of my tasks have been random stuff and not dealing with the IRC. If i cannot get into a firm by summer of next year then I will just attend the LLM program.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”