Laid Off, Can't Find Anything Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Laid Off, Can't Find Anything

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:57 am

Embarrassed, so anon. Laid off in Novembercorporate 3rd year (class of 2021) from an AmLaw firm in a non major market. Have have several good interviews (getting to the final stage three times) just to get turned away because they're looking for more experience. Pay ends at the end of this month, website time at the end of Feb. Can't just pack up and move because my fiance has a job here, we have a life here. What can I possibly do? I have irons in the fire, including in other cities, because I need a job. We need income.

I want to stay corporate, but understand I may need to switch ot up now. I don't care about staying AmLaw anymore, but small firms don't really want to train a corporate guy to do litigation. Any tips? Any leads? Any idea what JD preferred jobs I can get? Is taking a non-law job a death nail to my legal career?

Anonymous User

Re: Laid Off, Can't Find Anything

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:28 pm

Can you share more credentials? Which market? Which school? Tier of the firm? The market if better than last year but still tough. You may want to relocate to a major market and go back after one or two years.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:16 pm

I don't have much advice for you, but I'm really sorry about the situation. Have you looked at trying to go inhouse? You're right at the cusp of the right amount of time. It might be a slight pay cut, but it could be a could move lifestyle wise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:57 am
Embarrassed, so anon. Laid off in Novembercorporate 3rd year (class of 2021) from an AmLaw firm in a non major market. Have have several good interviews (getting to the final stage three times) just to get turned away because they're looking for more experience. Pay ends at the end of this month, website time at the end of Feb. Can't just pack up and move because my fiance has a job here, we have a life here. What can I possibly do? I have irons in the fire, including in other cities, because I need a job. We need income.

I want to stay corporate, but understand I may need to switch ot up now. I don't care about staying AmLaw anymore, but small firms don't really want to train a corporate guy to do litigation. Any tips? Any leads? Any idea what JD preferred jobs I can get? Is taking a non-law job a death nail to my legal career?
Very sorry you're going through this. I had a friend in a similar spot. Really consider reaching out to a legal recruiter. They may be able to get you in somewhere quickly.

hangtime813

Bronze

Post by hangtime813 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:44 pm

I'm sorry OP, this is a terrible situation to be in. The legal job market, especially in house it feels, has been feeling slow for awhile now. Keep applying broadly and widely as it may take some time to get a few bites.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:32 pm

Just here to say it’s valid but no reason to be embarrassed hang in there you will be ok

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:26 am

Hang in there. Ask for more website time. The worst they can say is no.

I would think hard about taking a non-lawyer job or a small firm job; it may put a ceiling over what you can do for a long time.

If there's a major market close enough for you to semi-commute to, or even to take a couple quick flights a week, really consider pounding the pavement there and trying pseudo-long distance just to keep an income while you continue applying in your preferred market.

attorney589753

Bronze

Post by attorney589753 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:21 pm

Not your fault, tough market right now. Just going to echo what other folks said and keep your head up and keep applying. It only takes one. The fact that you already got to final stages of three means you're really close (it probably takes about 3-5 final stages on average, in my experience). I also agree with asking for more website time and looking at in-house positions (which are also slow). Can you get by on just your spouse's income or not?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:26 am
Hang in there. Ask for more website time. The worst they can say is no.

I would think hard about taking a non-lawyer job or a small firm job; it may put a ceiling over what you can do for a long time.

If there's a major market close enough for you to semi-commute to, or even to take a couple quick flights a week, really consider pounding the pavement there and trying pseudo-long distance just to keep an income while you continue applying in your preferred market.
The above is reasonable advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”