What is going on at STB? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: What is going on at STB?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:38 am

STB doesn't dock bonuses for performance. Never have and they don't do now. Docked bonuses were for, as they stated, RTO no-compliance, which is certainly more ridiculous and worse, but the accurate reason.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:38 am
STB doesn't dock bonuses for performance. Never have and they don't do now. Docked bonuses were for, as they stated, RTO no-compliance, which is certainly more ridiculous and worse, but the accurate reason.
4th year; docked individuals were told to schedule reviews in December and were given performance issues - as far as my data suggests. no cap.

emc91

New

Post by emc91 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:34 pm

lol who are the idiots defending RTO

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:46 pm

emc91 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:34 pm
It's over dude, it ain't 2021 anymore...

emc91

New

Post by emc91 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:55 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:46 pm
emc91 wrote:
I get that but 4 days a week is crazy and I’m surprised to see anyone in this thread support that

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:38 am

When notorious sweatshops like S&C and CSM have more reasonable RTO policies than you, you're doing something crazy wrong. Treat your employees like adults.

anon3030

New

Post by anon3030 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:50 am

Moneytrees wrote:
emc91 wrote:
Dude, it ain’t 2019 anymore.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:38 am
When notorious sweatshops like S&C and CSM have more reasonable RTO policies than you, you're doing something crazy wrong. Treat your employees like adults.

Isn't DPW also 4 days in the office? CSM will prob also go up once they move into Hudson Yards. It absolutely sucks, but it's not like it's a mind-boggling aberration.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Isn't DPW also 4 days in the office? CSM will prob also go up once they move into Hudson Yards. It absolutely sucks, but it's not like it's a mind-boggling aberration.
DPW is ostensibly 4 days in office but hasn't been enforced. I'm not sure what CSM/S&C are.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GFox345

Bronze

Post by GFox345 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:18 am

anon3030 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:50 am
Moneytrees wrote:
emc91 wrote:
Dude, it ain’t 2019 anymore.
Headshot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:

DPW is ostensibly 4 days in office but hasn't been enforced. I'm not sure what CSM/S&C are.
CSM is a loose three day per week but very little compliance. Most associates are 2 days per week at best. Maybe that will change when they move but maybe not. S&C is also 3 days with somewhat better compliance but hardly perfect. Neither is anywhere near docking bonuses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:34 pm

I was a NYC biglaw associate from 2018 to 2020 and lived in constant and abject terror that I would lose my livelihood.

It is incredible that you're all making so much more and simply disregarding formal directives to RTO.

As one psychotic partner once said to me, "it's not an ask, it's a tell."

Also, the most straightforward way to track attendance is badge swipes. Also, when and for how long your work laptop connects to the firm's wifi network. It's extremely easy for them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:34 pm
I was a NYC biglaw associate from 2018 to 2020 and lived in constant and abject terror that I would lose my livelihood.

It is incredible that you're all making so much more and simply disregarding formal directives to RTO.

As one psychotic partner once said to me, "it's not an ask, it's a tell."

Also, the most straightforward way to track attendance is badge swipes. Also, when and for how long your work laptop connects to the firm's wifi network. It's extremely easy for them.

We are just saying it's lame and it's been proven the job can be done remotely. relax.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:34 pm

I think Gen Z is just less focused on making the big bucks compared to millenials, if I had my guess. Lifestyle matters more, and sacrificing $$$ for WFH flexibility is a net positive for us. Being in "constant and abject terror" sounds rough, glad I don't have that vibe.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:18 am

Gen Z, almost by definition, are young enough not to be emotionally scarred by the GFC and they're simply less afraid of getting laid off as a result. Whether that's positive or negative in the long run remains to be seen.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:07 am

I honestly have never seen anything as pathetic as some of the posts in this thread. You want to play at the highest levels of the legal profession (V5 in NYC)? Then accept that you're going to have to come into work. It has been shown repeatedly that employees are more productive, and office morale is higher, when people work in-person. Yes, let's have some exceptions for people who really need it, especially people with very young children. But if you're complaining about how rough you have it, working at one of the most prestigious firms in the world, then you need to grow up or give your job to someone else who's got some backbone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:07 am
But if you're complaining about how rough you have it, working at one of the most prestigious firms in the world, then you need to grow up or give your job to someone else who's got some backbone.
lol
Anonymous User wrote:
It has been shown repeatedly that employees are more productive, and office morale is higher, when people work in-person.
No, it hasn't. Certainly not to the extent you've implied.
Anonymous User wrote:
You want to play at the highest levels of the legal profession (V5 in NYC)? Then accept that you're going to have to come into work.

Yet, somehow the highest levels of the legal profession accomplished this fairly easily during the pandemic. And Quinn (elite, but debatable how elite) somehow continues to make millions with this policy.

ppl aren't crying about having to go in. RTO 4/5 days a week just sucks and is not necessary to do great legal work "at the highest levels"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I honestly have never seen anything as pathetic as some of the posts in this thread. You want to play at the highest levels of the legal profession (V5 in NYC)? Then accept that you're going to have to come into work. It has been shown repeatedly that employees are more productive, and office morale is higher, when people work in-person. Yes, let's have some exceptions for people who really need it, especially people with very young children. But if you're complaining about how rough you have it, working at one of the most prestigious firms in the world, then you need to grow up or give your job to someone else who's got some backbone.
Shut up boomer

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This is accurate, as much as the juniors will hate to admit it. WFH is pretty much dead at the top firms and everyone needs to adjust to the new reality. Complaining and/or not adhering to your firm's RTO policy is pointless and will just hurt your long-term prospects.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:15 am

At my (v10) firm the juniors show and the seniors are creatures of legend, ocassionally spoken of, but never seen

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:03 pm
STB 4th year. Here is my understanding of the facts.

Rule via updated handbook earlier this year: STB has discretionary ability to reduce bonus for not complying with RTO of 3 days week average.

The bonus was paid Dec 29. From my data points: those who were impacted were (a) asked to schedule their review prior to 12/29 and (b) told that their bonuses would cut 20% for not complying with RTO 3 days a week average.

The rest were given the option to schedule their review with the partner either in December or January.

Not facts: I believe, though may not be case across the board, that each of these individuals who were withheld 20% had performance issues.

minor edits for clarity
Jesus. That's lame as hell.

How do they confirm you're in office?
Do they send someone around to check in? And how long does one need to stay to count as being in office for the day??
We are unsure. Maybe swiping card. Def no one checks office by office (and assistants do not either).

I understand from a biz perspective.
Track via card swipes. Anyone at the firm can look at an in office snap shot to see who has swiped in during the day

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”