Negotiating mid-sized market salary Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Negotiating mid-sized market salary

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:33 pm

Coming off of a clerkship and about to start negotiating salary in a mid-sized southern/midwestern market (think Raleigh/Orlando/Nashville/Pittsburgh). I would be about a fourth year, although I’m not sure how the clerkship factors in. I’m used to the salary scale in larger markets and don’t want to come in too high but also want to end up at a fair number. Any idea what the going rate is nowadays for such associates?

Anonymous User

Re: Negotiating mid-sized market salary

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:33 pm
Coming off of a clerkship and about to start negotiating salary in a mid-sized southern/midwestern market (think Raleigh/Orlando/Nashville/Pittsburgh). I would be about a fourth year, although I’m not sure how the clerkship factors in. I’m used to the salary scale in larger markets and don’t want to come in too high but also want to end up at a fair number. Any idea what the going rate is nowadays for such associates?
At least two of the markets you listed, Pittsburgh and Raleigh, have firms that pay biglaw. Pittsburgh for instance has K&L Gates and Reed Smith. Raleigh has Alston & Bird and K&L Gates. To the extent you're talking about smaller firms, it really depends. Smith Anderson is probably the best mid-sized firm in Raleigh, and I believe they start first years around $170k. Similary, Robinson Bradshaw has offices in Raleigh and Chapel Hill and they start first years at $180k. You probably wouldn't get credit for your clerkships at either, so would probably be a third-year at both. Probably in the $200k range would be my guess.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”