Bid NY or city with ties? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bid NY or city with ties?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:02 pm

I am applying to a niche practice group where the number of positions will be small either way but NY offices are generally bigger. Additionally, I've been told that the NY offices are more selective. Assuming slightly above median grades and otherwise decent credentials, is it better to bid NYC or a biggish market where I have ties? Thank you in advance.

Anonymous User

Re: Bid NY or city with ties?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:46 am

What school are you at? What niche practice group is it? What city are referring to that has a "biggish market where [you] have ties"?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:07 pm

A lot of summer associate hiring has shifted to pre-OCI anyway. You can apply to both markets early without having to worry about bid space.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:16 pm

At most schools it shouldn't be an either/or proposition. You should be able to do pre-OCI or high bids for your (presumably preferred) home market, and then throw in some NYC for good measure. I did the same in OCI, and due to the crazy events surrounding the great recession ended up in NYC. Had I not bid NYC for good measure (even though I didn't want NYC), I probably would have ended up empty-handed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”