Is it ok to leave town the first weekend of a Summer Associate position? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is it ok to leave town the first weekend of a Summer Associate position?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:55 am

I'm working at a major firm in LA that typically gives everyone offers and my sister's wedding shower is the first weekend of the summer (Memorial Day Weekend). I don't have any kind of calendar yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of event that weekend since it's at the end of the first work week. Would it be a bad look if I skip whatever happens that weekend? I want to go to my sister's wedding shower, but I also don't want to jeopardize getting a return offer.

LittleRedCorvette

Bronze

Re: Is it ok to leave town the first weekend of a Summer Associate position?

Post by LittleRedCorvette » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:55 am
I'm working at a major firm in LA that typically gives everyone offers and my sister's wedding shower is the first weekend of the summer (Memorial Day Weekend). I don't have any kind of calendar yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of event that weekend since it's at the end of the first work week. Would it be a bad look if I skip whatever happens that weekend? I want to go to my sister's wedding shower, but I also don't want to jeopardize getting a return offer.
There won't be any work events during Memorial Day weekend. Just go, it will be fine. Don't miss work-day things.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:56 pm

LittleRedCorvette wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:55 am
There won't be any work events during Memorial Day weekend. Just go, it will be fine. Don't miss work-day things.
This.

texaslawl

New

Post by texaslawl » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:05 pm

Seconding that there won’t be anything this weekend. Even if there was, don’t miss your sister’s wedding shower for it. Those things are planned in advance and people are understanding of attending them (although no one end up remembering when all is said and done). At my firm, everyone would honestly think it was weird/worse for someone to miss their siblings wedding shower for an event than the other way around.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:18 pm

Yeah it's fine. Honestly from what I recall as a summer there weren't really any week-end firm events except maybe like one or two in total. They were mostly during the week-days. I think I also maybe worked once on the laptop they gave me over the week-end but when I was given the assignment they said feel free to wait until monday, but I was just like at home so I'll do it now. Nothing to worry about—you dont even have to like inform anyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LittleRedCorvette

Bronze

Post by LittleRedCorvette » Thu May 04, 2023 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:18 pm
Yeah it's fine. Honestly from what I recall as a summer there weren't really any week-end firm events except maybe like one or two in total. They were mostly during the week-days. I think I also maybe worked once on the laptop they gave me over the week-end but when I was given the assignment they said feel free to wait until monday, but I was just like at home so I'll do it now. Nothing to worry about—you dont even have to like inform anyone.
like thanks for the like answer

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Wed May 10, 2023 12:35 pm

LittleRedCorvette wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 10:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Is a 1L tone-policing the employment board? And in response to a helpful answer to their question? Excellent work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2023 4:24 pm

bretby wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 12:35 pm
LittleRedCorvette wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Is a 1L tone-policing the employment board? And in response to a helpful answer to their question? Excellent work.
Chill... that reply wasn't from OP

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Thu May 11, 2023 8:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 4:24 pm
bretby wrote:
LittleRedCorvette wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
You're right!! Sorry. Will chill.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2023 9:33 am

bretby wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 8:50 am
Anonymous User wrote:
bretby wrote:
LittleRedCorvette wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm the anon who was tone policed lol. I appreciate the support, but it's fine. It's an online forum, if I couldn't handle trolls like LittleRedCorvette making petty insults, I shouldn't be posting. Plus at least the dude didn't do it behind anon, which in a way actually makes him braver than myself I guess.

LittleRedCorvette

Bronze

Post by LittleRedCorvette » Thu May 11, 2023 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 9:33 am
bretby wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 8:50 am
Anonymous User wrote:
bretby wrote:
LittleRedCorvette wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm the anon who was tone policed lol. I appreciate the support, but it's fine. It's an online forum, if I couldn't handle trolls like LittleRedCorvette making petty insults, I shouldn't be posting. Plus at least the dude didn't do it behind anon, which in a way actually makes him braver than myself I guess.
Not a single "like" in sight! Nice work.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”