Ropes v Wilmerhale Corporate (Boston) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Flarmanarnar

New

Ropes v Wilmerhale Corporate (Boston)

Post by Flarmanarnar » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:48 pm

Looking to lateral down the road, and have been researching both firms, but wanted to know if anyone here has insight on culture for both firms (specifically for their Boston corporate groups). I know Wilmerhale is not known for corporate, but I've seen good things about culture - the only thing that worries me is how hard is it to hit the 2k bonus requirement and what is their general rep in the market? For Ropes, I'm worried about the culture - especially in light of a few articles I have read - I'm not sure how much of a "sweatshop" it is relative to other Boston shops. Also, does anyone know how well laterals do at these firms? For example, how well integrated are laterals (I don't want to lateral to a firm that's going to treat me different than a homegrown associate over time).

For context, I would be looking at a finance-related practice group (debt finance/fund finance/leveraged finance/etc.) at either firm.

Anonymous User

Re: Ropes v Wilmerhale Corporate (Boston)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:39 pm

I wouldn’t choose WH over Ropes for corporate.

I worked at WH. Corporate team is filled with really nice people, but some people are difficult and everyone is always way too busy because associates leave left and right in transactional.

persia1921

New

Post by persia1921 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:19 pm

Go to Ropes for corporate, no question. They are the best of the best in Boston. Can’t speak to Wilmer, but there are plenty of good folks to work with at Ropes — like anywhere it’s about figuring out who you mesh well with and continuing to work with them.

Yes, it’s big law. Yes, corporate associates work a lot. Overall though, I don’t think Ropes is any worse than any other big firm in Boston (and many would say it’s better).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:04 am

Agree with the above posters. The one caveat is if you want to be more of a generalist, you might consider WH since the smaller size lends itself to allowing you to try more things.

I'm in a different group at WH, but FWIW laterals are integrated very well. In fact, many have made partner.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”