Williams & Connolly? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Williams & Connolly?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:11 am

Can any current or recent Williams & Connolly associates speak to what it's like working there? Is it true that associates get more substantive opportunities (depos, speaking roles at trials)? What are the hours like? And how below market is it after its 2022 raises?

Anonymous User

Re: Williams & Connolly?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:43 pm

Also interested! Esp in hours/culture

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:33 pm

interested

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:17 pm

also interested

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:18 pm

I summered there within the last few years and plan to return after finishing my clerkships; happy to answer any questions based on what I've heard from folks there and based on my own experiences, though I lack actual experience as an associate

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:25 pm

A couple of my boys are at Williams and Connolly. Confirmed, they get great, great, substantive experience early and often.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:32 pm

an example on substantive experience - W&C will sometimes represent corporate clients on their large matters, conditioned on the client also giving W&C its nickel-and-dime cases (think basic, low-dollar tort suits against the company based on the actions of one of its employees). The firm then staffs those small cases with early-year associates, who are basically given full latitude to run the case. If the case goes to trial, the firm will send a partner along as a backstop, but the associates are the ones doing the bulk of the stand-up work (giving openings and closings, crossing witnesses, etc.)

I doubt that green associates are getting speaking roles in the super high-profile trials - pretty sure none did in the Holmes case, for example - but at least based on asking around, I get the sense that there's no biglaw firm at which you have a better shot of actually doing trial work every so often than at W&C.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:14 pm

can current associates share the comp table? Haven't found it on the above the law or elsewhere and wondering how it stacks up after all the biglaw raises.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:22 pm

^

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:02 am

They don't get bonuses of any kind. No year end. No special. And their comp scale is slightly below market. Maybe doesn't matter as junior, but mid to senior, that money adds up quick.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:25 pm
A couple of my boys are at Williams and Connolly. Confirmed, they get great, great, substantive experience early and often.
LOL.. a mom/dad who is on TLS? Sure this isn't like W&C undercover recruiting team?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:10 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:25 pm
LOL.. a mom/dad who is on TLS? Sure this isn't like W&C undercover recruiting team?
don't think "boys" in this context means what you think it means

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:02 am
They don't get bonuses of any kind. No year end. No special. And their comp scale is slightly below market. Maybe doesn't matter as junior, but mid to senior, that money adds up quick.
Under the assumption that W&C associates must work incredibly hard, I'm not seeing any benefits to killing yourself for below market pay as opposed to just going somewhere like Kellogg and Susman and killing yourself for significantly above market pay.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bigboybob

New

Post by bigboybob » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:52 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Under the assumption that W&C associates must work incredibly hard, I'm not seeing any benefits to killing yourself for below market pay as opposed to just going somewhere like Kellogg and Susman and killing yourself for significantly above market pay.
"Prestige" lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I mean how many people is Kellogg hiring each year? And Susman? These posts make it seem like it’s a no brainer. Well if someone doesn’t land those firms but still wants actual litigating experience, then maybe the difference is fine. This site treats comp as the end all be all of law. Some people actually like this stuff and so what they work on and the size of the team are important.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:01 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I mean how many people is Kellogg hiring each year? And Susman? These posts make it seem like it’s a no brainer. Well if someone doesn’t land those firms but still wants actual litigating experience, then maybe the difference is fine. This site treats comp as the end all be all of law. Some people actually like this stuff and so what they work on and the size of the team are important.
But imagine... you could go to say, Quinn for example, after having done two clerkships, get a 125k clerkship bonus, come in as a third year, make 250 base, plus 56k annual bonus, plus free health care, plus a 40k retention bonus which vests at end of third year, or make... only 250k at W&C with a little prestige sprinkled in. Likely same hours. Plus you get WFH @ Quinn.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:15 am

Isn’t partnership like actually feasible at W&C though?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:16 pm

I think hours expectations at W&C are significantly lower than at Quinn, etc

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:09 pm

Why does every darn thread have to turn into a preftige pissing match? OP asked for information about one firm, people answered, just leave it at that.

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:27 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:15 am
Isn’t partnership like actually feasible at W&C though?
Yep, people sleep on this all the time, and it's very annoying. If you want to be an attorney at a biglaw firm long-term, I'd rather hang my hat at one that gets great work, pays me slightly below market, and has 31% of their attorneys as equity partners than one where I'm making market with 15% of attorneys as equity partners. I'll probably be a perma counsel at the 15% firm making $500k while I could be an equity partner at the 31% firm making $700k+ for the rest of my career. Of course, if the goal is to take flight in-house/gov't as soon as possible, go take the market firm and maximize your dollars. Thinking that you're maximizing your dollars in lit, which makes notoriously few equity partners, in the long-term by going to a Ropes & Gray or something is extremely shortsighted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Another factor— those firms have different practice specialties (in particular they don’t do crim)

Also while all-in Bartlit and Susman are the best places to be a civil lit associate in the country (top-of-the-market partnership prospects, trial experience, and comp, though bad hours), they don’t have DC offices

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:30 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:01 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
But imagine... you could go to say, Quinn for example, after having done two clerkships, get a 125k clerkship bonus, come in as a third year, make 250 base, plus 56k annual bonus, plus free health care, plus a 40k retention bonus which vests at end of third year, or make... only 250k at W&C with a little prestige sprinkled in. Likely same hours. Plus you get WFH @ Quinn.
But then you have to work at Quinn… gross.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:08 am

Do they do a clerkship bonus?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:08 am
Do they do a clerkship bonus?
Yes. I was offered $75k a couple years ago for 2 clerkships.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”