PH or Deb (Restructuring in NY) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

PH or Deb (Restructuring in NY)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:55 pm

Sorry to water down the forum even more with these firm pics, but I’ve narrowed down my offers to these two firms. I’m really interested in RX and I know PH recently acquired a really great group that honestly seem like a great team. That being said, I haven’t heard too much about Deb’s RX practice but they do seem to be an excellent firm with great people all around. If anyone has any insight - that’d be super helpful!

Anonymous User

Re: PH or Deb (Restructuring in NY)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:04 pm

Deb

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:17 pm

The PH rx team that was recently acquired are known for being awful to associates. A lot of old-school hazing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:17 pm
The PH rx team that was recently acquired are known for being awful to associates. A lot of old-school hazing.
Personally, I’m trying to live out my unfulfilled frat aspirations so that’s a huge plus

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:28 am

Depends on what you want. That former Stroock group will be on more Rx deals but it’ll be the same type of representation every time - some formulation of unsecured creditors or out of the money stakeholders. It will taste more litigation-y because of that.

Debevoise isn’t a consistent player but their representations are more varied and straddle both debtor and secured creditor reps. Growing that group is probably a priority for the firm so TBD if they start landing more engagements by hustling or hiring more lateral partners.

Personally I think you start at Deb, and if it’s too sleepy after a year then lateral somewhere else. Still junior enough to train up and you’ll have a persuasive reason for why you’re looking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:28 am
Depends on what you want. That former Stroock group will be on more Rx deals but it’ll be the same type of representation every time - some formulation of unsecured creditors or out of the money stakeholders. It will taste more litigation-y because of that.

Debevoise isn’t a consistent player but their representations are more varied and straddle both debtor and secured creditor reps. Growing that group is probably a priority for the firm so TBD if they start landing more engagements by hustling or hiring more lateral partners.

Personally I think you start at Deb, and if it’s too sleepy after a year then lateral somewhere else. Still junior enough to train up and you’ll have a persuasive reason for why you’re looking.
this is just categorically wrong.

1) I can’t think of the last time Deb had a meaningful rep in any major matter. They are not a serious player in the space.

2) the Stroock group that they pulled is a largely senior debtholder mandate. They normally represent banks and secured bonds, not unsecureds fighting to increase recovery from $.06 to $.13

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:07 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:28 am

this is just categorically wrong.

1) I can’t think of the last time Deb had a meaningful rep in any major matter. They are not a serious player in the space.

2) the Stroock group that they pulled is a largely senior debtholder mandate. They normally represent banks and secured bonds, not unsecureds fighting to increase recovery from $.06 to $.13
True about 2) but I don't agree with 1). Deb won the debtor mandate for Dave's Bridal a few years ago and they pulled off Philippine Airlines last year. Given their strong PE practice, they probably have a decent amount of portfolio companies out-of-restructuring/special situations that happened behind the curtain.

Right that Stroock/Paul Hastings is a tier above Debevoise, but I think the difference is at best marginal. Speaking as someone from a big rx shop I honestly don't think neither of them as a seriously player, so might as well go work at place where you like the people the most.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:01 pm

Rx lawyer at a Band 1/V10 practice, FWIW. Would choose Debevoise and not think twice. The PH team has a pretty shabby reputation, as others have noted; I think it'd be pretty easy to get pigeonholed as a "certain" kind of Rx lawyer and probably end up hating your life with fairly limited options to move. Debevoise isn't *really* a player, sure. But given all indications in the current environment, I think it'd be pretty easy to shift to a more reputable practice over the next couple years to the extent you wanted to do that to yourself.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:01 pm
Rx lawyer at a Band 1/V10 practice, FWIW. Would choose Debevoise and not think twice. The PH team has a pretty shabby reputation, as others have noted; I think it'd be pretty easy to get pigeonholed as a "certain" kind of Rx lawyer and probably end up hating your life with fairly limited options to move. Debevoise isn't *really* a player, sure. But given all indications in the current environment, I think it'd be pretty easy to shift to a more reputable practice over the next couple years to the extent you wanted to do that to yourself.
I’m v10 finance, have worked on a ton of rx matters both in/out of court—I’ve seen the stroock group a lot, they’ve been involved in a lot of real ($5B+) matters and they tend to be among the smartest you have to deal with. I’m sure Deb isn’t a slouch but if their PE clients have a real issue with a $1B+ portco I wonder if there isn’t an extremely strong pull to hand the work to Weil or Kirkland.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”