OCI week is over. Only 3 CBs so far. How concerned should I be? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 408502
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

OCI week is over. Only 3 CBs so far. How concerned should I be?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:54 pm

Top ~15% at a mid T14. Bid mostly DC lit, had just over a couple dozen screeners, only received a couple rejections. I'm feeling pretty concerned about my prospects of ultimately landing a job I want. CSO says not to worry, but I wanted to get some more perspectives.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408502
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI week is over. Only 3 CBs so far. How concerned should I be?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:54 pm
Top ~15% at a mid T14. Bid mostly DC lit, had just over a couple dozen screeners, only received a couple rejections. I'm feeling pretty concerned about my prospects of ultimately landing a job I want. CSO says not to worry, but I wanted to get some more perspectives.
You just answered your own question. Obviously you're not down and out yet, but you picked a risky strategy by targeting the most competitive jobs in the country. You'll most likely find something in post-OCI recruitment if your callbacks don't work out, but don't be too surprised if you strike out during OCI and have to dive back into the job market.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408502
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI week is over. Only 3 CBs so far. How concerned should I be?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:10 pm

Seconding the above as someone who was in a similar spot last year. You’ll probably be ok (as I was), but there’s a reason every single DC bidlist post gets replies suggesting to bid some big NYC firms as backup…

Anonymous User
Posts: 408502
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI week is over. Only 3 CBs so far. How concerned should I be?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:16 pm

Getting 3 CBs for around a dozen screeners at only top 15% at mid-T14 is to be expected—you picked the most competitive market. Goal is now to just try to knock what you have out of the park. If it's not too late I'd apply to some NY firms. For perspective I was in your same position basically (same stats and same targeting), except I also applied to Cravath, DPW, S&C, Latham, and STB. Got 3 CBs out of my ~15 DC lit screeners. Got 0 offers from those 3 CBs (although I readily admit I am not the best interviewer). For Cravath, DPW, S&C, Latham, and STB though I got callbacks from Cravath, DPW, S&C, and STB and offers at Cravath, DPW, and S&C. Very thankful I supplemented my strategy with some NY firms.

All this to say is DC lit is hard man it is a massive beast. You're not underperforming.

User avatar
existentialcrisis

Silver
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:23 pm

Re: OCI week is over. Only 3 CBs so far. How concerned should I be?

Post by existentialcrisis » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:17 pm

Send your resume to some big class NY firms now.

Tell them you bid them and are disappointed you didn’t get screeners

Also it goes without saying focus on nailing these callbacks. Do some practice interviews with someone who will give you real feedback.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 408502
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI week is over. Only 3 CBs so far. How concerned should I be?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:22 pm

Yeah I would be a bit concerned. For DC lit your competition is going to be really tough. Getting 3 CBs is a great result but you have no guarantee any will result in offers. Like others have said, you should be mass mailing an easier market until you have an offer in hand.

Side point but I don't think you need to address if you bid them and I'd counsel against giving any response that's not factual.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408502
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI week is over. Only 3 CBs so far. How concerned should I be?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:44 pm

OP Here.
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll be sending my resume out to some big NYC shops to be safe.
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:10 pm
Seconding the above as someone who was in a similar spot last year. You’ll probably be ok (as I was), but there’s a reason every single DC bidlist post gets replies suggesting to bid some big NYC firms as backup…
FWIW I did bid (and interviewed at) multiple big NYC firms, but I haven't gotten CB invites from those firms. Only got DPW DC, Kirkland DC, and a firm in a different major market as callbacks.

Gaucho98

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:49 pm

Re: OCI week is over. Only 3 CBs so far. How concerned should I be?

Post by Gaucho98 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:18 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:17 pm
Send your resume to some big class NY firms now.

Tell them you bid them and are disappointed you didn’t get screeners

Also it goes without saying focus on nailing these callbacks. Do some practice interviews with someone who will give you real feedback.
Other than the fact that it is just lying, this is a bad strategy because some schools (including my upper T14) let firms know who did not get screeners despite bidding on them. If OP tells a firm that he bidded on them and they are able to check that info and see it was a lie, it'd be a quick redirect to the rejection file.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408502
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI week is over. Only 3 CBs so far. How concerned should I be?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:42 pm

Gaucho98 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:18 pm
existentialcrisis wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:17 pm
Send your resume to some big class NY firms now.

Tell them you bid them and are disappointed you didn’t get screeners

Also it goes without saying focus on nailing these callbacks. Do some practice interviews with someone who will give you real feedback.
Other than the fact that it is just lying, this is a bad strategy because some schools (including my upper T14) let firms know who did not get screeners despite bidding on them. If OP tells a firm that he bidded on them and they are able to check that info and see it was a lie, it'd be a quick redirect to the rejection file.
Yes, at my school not every firm filled as well. So if a firm had 15 empty spots and you claim you bid them but didn't get it, no way

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


LBJ's Hair

Silver
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:17 pm

Re: OCI week is over. Only 3 CBs so far. How concerned should I be?

Post by LBJ's Hair » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:01 pm

Send direct applications to NYC offices across V20, now.

You screwed up bidding only DC -- that's the only way people in your position can strike out at OCI.

You should also do some interview practice to make sure you're not shooting yourself in the foot w/weird interview tics. You said a "couple dozen" screeners and only 3 callbacks, and you have top 15% grades? Feel like the hit rate should be a little higher than that (<10%), although more callbacks might trickle in (still a little early)

Anonymous User
Posts: 408502
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI week is over. Only 3 CBs so far. How concerned should I be?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:07 pm

LBJ's Hair wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:01 pm
Send direct applications to NYC offices across V20, now.

You screwed up bidding only DC -- that's the only way people in your position can strike out at OCI.

You should also do some interview practice to make sure you're not shooting yourself in the foot w/weird interview tics. You said a "couple dozen" screeners and only 3 callbacks, and you have top 15% grades? Feel like the hit rate should be a little higher than that (<10%), although more callbacks might trickle in (still a little early)
I'm not surprised by the low ratio of CBs here. I just did OCI for DC litigation, we had plenty of fully qualified candidates who didn't make the cut simply because of numbers. A couple of rock stars who got passed on. It's a tough market, a tough practice group and a tough year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408502
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI week is over. Only 3 CBs so far. How concerned should I be?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:07 pm
LBJ's Hair wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:01 pm
Send direct applications to NYC offices across V20, now.

You screwed up bidding only DC -- that's the only way people in your position can strike out at OCI.

You should also do some interview practice to make sure you're not shooting yourself in the foot w/weird interview tics. You said a "couple dozen" screeners and only 3 callbacks, and you have top 15% grades? Feel like the hit rate should be a little higher than that (<10%), although more callbacks might trickle in (still a little early)
I'm not surprised by the low ratio of CBs here. I just did OCI for DC litigation, we had plenty of fully qualified candidates who didn't make the cut simply because of numbers. A couple of rock stars who got passed on. It's a tough market, a tough practice group and a tough year.
I have no idea but for example, Covington DC gave out 10 offers at my school my year, and they certainly did not have 100 screeners, which is what that would imply (assuming a 100% CB > offer rate as an oversimplification) if you assume OP is an 'average' candidate

a 10-1 screener/CB ratio for a given firm seems off to me, if only b/c it's such a waste of time for the firm.

I think worth doing practice

edit - this is LBJ

Anonymous User
Posts: 408502
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI week is over. Only 3 CBs so far. How concerned should I be?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:07 pm
LBJ's Hair wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:01 pm
Send direct applications to NYC offices across V20, now.

You screwed up bidding only DC -- that's the only way people in your position can strike out at OCI.

You should also do some interview practice to make sure you're not shooting yourself in the foot w/weird interview tics. You said a "couple dozen" screeners and only 3 callbacks, and you have top 15% grades? Feel like the hit rate should be a little higher than that (<10%), although more callbacks might trickle in (still a little early)
I'm not surprised by the low ratio of CBs here. I just did OCI for DC litigation, we had plenty of fully qualified candidates who didn't make the cut simply because of numbers. A couple of rock stars who got passed on. It's a tough market, a tough practice group and a tough year.
I have no idea but for example, Covington DC gave out 10 offers at my school my year, and they certainly did not have 100 screeners, which is what that would imply (assuming a 100% CB > offer rate as an oversimplification) if you assume OP is an 'average' candidate

I think worth doing practice

edit - this is LBJ
What year was that? How many of the offers were from OCI v pre? Not sure the math from then would apply now. Many classes sizes are reduced, and a lot of spots already filled.

But yeah definitely practice interviewing OP and figure out if you need to fix anything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408502
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI week is over. Only 3 CBs so far. How concerned should I be?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:24 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:07 pm
LBJ's Hair wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:01 pm
Send direct applications to NYC offices across V20, now.

You screwed up bidding only DC -- that's the only way people in your position can strike out at OCI.

You should also do some interview practice to make sure you're not shooting yourself in the foot w/weird interview tics. You said a "couple dozen" screeners and only 3 callbacks, and you have top 15% grades? Feel like the hit rate should be a little higher than that (<10%), although more callbacks might trickle in (still a little early)
I'm not surprised by the low ratio of CBs here. I just did OCI for DC litigation, we had plenty of fully qualified candidates who didn't make the cut simply because of numbers. A couple of rock stars who got passed on. It's a tough market, a tough practice group and a tough year.
I have no idea but for example, Covington DC gave out 10 offers at my school my year, and they certainly did not have 100 screeners, which is what that would imply (assuming a 100% CB > offer rate as an oversimplification) if you assume OP is an 'average' candidate

I think worth doing practice

edit - this is LBJ
What year was that? How many of the offers were from OCI v pre? Not sure the math from then would apply now. Many classes sizes are reduced, and a lot of spots already filled.

But yeah definitely practice interviewing OP and figure out if you need to fix anything.
OP here. Posted an anon a few hours ago that hasn't been approved yet, but I bid some large NYC shops and haven't heard back from them yet. Had screeners w/ Cravath, S&C, STB, and a couple other random firms. Only heard an R from Cravath so far form that group. I guess I'll send out my resume to some other NYC firms.

I also had a practice interview where I was specifically told that I'm a very strong interviewer from someone who has been critical of others in the past. Maybe something was radically different in reality, so I guess I'll try to do another practice interview with a different person.

Two things on my CBs. One CB is in a non-NYC market to which I have very strong ties. The others are Kirkland DC and DPW DC. Does anyone know anything about CB-->offer rates for either of these? I've heard Kirkland NYC has fairly high CB --> offer and DPW NYC has very low CB --> offer. Does this translate to DC?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”