Sending notes to interviewers after accepting offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 408496
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Sending notes to interviewers after accepting offer

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:18 am

So I accepted an offer yesterday afternoon, and I was planning on sending notes to all the people I interviewed with during my callback to basically let them know I accepted, thank them for their help, and say I hope to work with them in the future. However, last night I received an email from one of the partners I met with congratulating me, so he clearly already heard the news.

Should I still send the emails to the other associates/partners? If they were already notified, I don't want them to think I was just being impatient waiting for a message from them. But I also want to reach out and show my thanks. For context, I didn't send thank you notes at any previous stage of the process, in line with my career advisor's advice.

crazywafflez

Silver
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: Sending notes to interviewers after accepting offer

Post by crazywafflez » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:34 am

You are overthinking this. I personally wouldn't send them, but if you regularly do, go for it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408496
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Sending notes to interviewers after accepting offer

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:18 am
So I accepted an offer yesterday afternoon, and I was planning on sending notes to all the people I interviewed with during my callback to basically let them know I accepted, thank them for their help, and say I hope to work with them in the future. However, last night I received an email from one of the partners I met with congratulating me, so he clearly already heard the news.

Should I still send the emails to the other associates/partners? If they were already notified, I don't want them to think I was just being impatient waiting for a message from them. But I also want to reach out and show my thanks. For context, I didn't send thank you notes at any previous stage of the process, in line with my career advisor's advice.
It doesn't matter - if you want to, go ahead and do it. I don't remember at this point who sent thank yous and who didn't.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408496
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Sending notes to interviewers after accepting offer

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:26 am

Original Anon here. Thanks for the quick advice guys. I really tend to overthink these things, so I appreciate the candor.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408496
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Sending notes to interviewers after accepting offer

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:26 am
Original Anon here. Thanks for the quick advice guys. I really tend to overthink these things, so I appreciate the candor.
FWIW, I sent notes the partners but not associates, and each replied quickly and seemed to appreciate the notes. As said, not a big deal either way though

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


JTIII

New
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 1:41 am

Re: Sending notes to interviewers after accepting offer

Post by JTIII » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:39 am

I agree with the above. As a bit of an aside, If you (or anyone else reading this) end up sending thank you notes, just a PSA: It's a bit weird to be calling people by "Mr." and "Ms." I've been getting this a lot lately and have found it kind of funny. It's not the norm at my firm and would be surprised if it's the norm anywhere else.

User avatar
glitched

Silver
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: Sending notes to interviewers after accepting offer

Post by glitched » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:12 pm

JTIII wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:39 am
I agree with the above. As a bit of an aside, If you (or anyone else reading this) end up sending thank you notes, just a PSA: It's a bit weird to be calling people by "Mr." and "Ms." I've been getting this a lot lately and have found it kind of funny. It's not the norm at my firm and would be surprised if it's the norm anywhere else.
I called a partner "Mr." in an email very early in my career. One of the other partners on the chain called me right away and said we never use "Mr." or "Mrs." unless maybe opposing counsel was really pissing you off.

To answer OP's question, literally no one will care. If there's a partner/associate you want to maintain a relationship with because you liked them or want to work with them, then I'd say go for it. But to do it as a formality, no need at all.

showusyourtorts

New
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:59 pm

Re: Sending notes to interviewers after accepting offer

Post by showusyourtorts » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:21 pm

JTIII wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:39 am
I agree with the above. As a bit of an aside, If you (or anyone else reading this) end up sending thank you notes, just a PSA: It's a bit weird to be calling people by "Mr." and "Ms." I've been getting this a lot lately and have found it kind of funny. It's not the norm at my firm and would be surprised if it's the norm anywhere else.
Agreed. I had someone address me in a thank you note as "Dear Attorney [Last name]." I would recommend the appropriate go-to as "Hi [First name]" (or, at most, "Dear [First name]").

User avatar
glitched

Silver
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: Sending notes to interviewers after accepting offer

Post by glitched » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:22 pm

showusyourtorts wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:21 pm
JTIII wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:39 am
I agree with the above. As a bit of an aside, If you (or anyone else reading this) end up sending thank you notes, just a PSA: It's a bit weird to be calling people by "Mr." and "Ms." I've been getting this a lot lately and have found it kind of funny. It's not the norm at my firm and would be surprised if it's the norm anywhere else.
Agreed. I had someone address me in a thank you note as "Dear Attorney [Last name]." I would recommend the appropriate go-to as "Hi [First name]" (or, at most, "Dear [First name]").
Interviewees should start using "Dear Counsel" in their thank you notes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Anonymous User
Posts: 408496
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Sending notes to interviewers after accepting offer

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:38 pm

You definitely don't need to but sure why not, keep it simple and casual tho. No Mr/Ms. I don't know who is telling applicants to be so formal but it's at odds with how we do business and just looks weird.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408496
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Sending notes to interviewers after accepting offer

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:23 pm

If you are particularly interested in someone’s practice area then its not a bad idea to shoot them a short friendly email. It’s an extra ping for them, so they will be marginally more likely to remember you as a resource during the upcoming summer. I did this and it worked well. Those folks were the first lawyers I had lunch with and got assignments from as an SA. I’d keep it casual and (assuming it’s true) drop in a “I look forward to working with you over the summer.”

mvp99

Silver
Posts: 1462
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: Sending notes to interviewers after accepting offer

Post by mvp99 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:35 pm

Only send if there’s a true connection. I don’t like generic thank you when I’m busy (nothing personal) and the decision is made by then anyway.

User avatar
Lacepiece23

Silver
Posts: 1319
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Sending notes to interviewers after accepting offer

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:48 pm

I think this is where general TLS advice is wrong. Send them. At worst, people won’t read them. At best, it is a nice gesture that might give you a slight nudge. What do you have to lose. Just don’t have any typos.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


User avatar
blair.waldorf

Bronze
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Sending notes to interviewers after accepting offer

Post by blair.waldorf » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:53 am

You are way overthinking this.

Send them if you want. Don’t send them if you don’t want to. Personally, I’d only send them if I really clicked with someone and wanted to maintain the relationship.

Lesion of Doom

Bronze
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:22 am

Re: Sending notes to interviewers after accepting offer

Post by Lesion of Doom » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:18 pm

The “Mr” thing has become very common unfortunately. I don’t actually care but it’s definitely a little weird. I didn’t do that during OCIs.

You can tell that certain schools are coaching their students to do it. They should stop that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408496
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Sending notes to interviewers after accepting offer

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:39 am

No one answered your original question - yes, recruiting almost certainly informed everyone you interviewed with that you got an offer (and probably asked them to reach out to you with congratulations - but people forget to do it all the time).

I sent thank you notes after interviews, but didn't do anything after getting an offer unless the attorney reached out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408496
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Sending notes to interviewers after accepting offer

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:10 pm

I always message after getting the offer (in addition to after the callback interviews) because they took the time to interview you and were kind enough to say nice things about you and it doesn't hurt to repay kindness with kindness. Also they might be your coworkers so why not leave a good impression.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze
Posts: 357
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:07 pm

Re: Sending notes to interviewers after accepting offer

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:33 pm

I would suggest not sending the notes if it’s a source of stress / anxiety

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”