Willkie vs sidley vs ropes &gray Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

(Transactional) Willkie vs sidley vs ropes

Willkie (ny)
33%
Sidley (ny)
31%
Ropes & Gray (ny)
35%

Total votes: 105

Anonymous User

Willkie vs sidley vs ropes &gray

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:03 pm

Hi, please help me decide which firm woupd be my best choice.

All in NY. Interested in transactional. Practice area I am interested is undecided (but m&a, capital markets, investment management seem appealing).

Willkie is headquarterd in NY, whereas sidley and ropes are not. Both are great firms in chicago and boston, but not sure how their ny satelite offices are like. Which would you pick?

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Re: Willkie vs sidley vs ropes &gray

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:00 pm

Wonder who’s voting and why Willkie takes the cake here. I thought most TLSers follow vault, in which case Sidley would win.

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:24 pm

Res Ipsa Loquitter wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:00 pm
Wonder who’s voting and why Willkie takes the cake here. I thought most TLSers follow vault, in which case Sidley would win.
They're pretty much identical firms in terms of PPP/RPL; however, Sidley is a Chicago HQ'd firm, and Willkie is NY HQ'd firm. For NYers and people into NY biglaw, that means something. They're somewhat xenophobic in a sense. Any other market might as well be a foreign country. It's the same reason why they reject Kirkland so hard despite it trouncing many of NYers most frothed over firms in PPP/RPL. It's also the same reason why Fried Frank, Shearman, Schulte, and Cahill all get more airtime than they would if people just followed Vault. To some degree, being at the HQ of a firm is important, but when you're talking about firms that have sizable offices in your city that aren't merely "satellite" offices with 20 people you've moved past that point.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:28 pm

Sackboy wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:24 pm
They're pretty much identical firms in terms of PPP/RPL; however, Sidley is a Chicago HQ'd firm, and Willkie is NY HQ'd firm. For NYers and people into NY biglaw, that means something. They're somewhat xenophobic in a sense. Any other market might as well be a foreign country. It's the same reason why they reject Kirkland so hard despite it trouncing many of NYers most frothed over firms in PPP/RPL. It's also the same reason why Fried Frank, Shearman, Schulte, and Cahill all get more airtime than they would if people just followed Vault. To some degree, being at the HQ of a firm is important, but when you're talking about firms that have sizable offices in your city that aren't merely "satellite" offices with 20 people you've moved past that point.
Agreed, I don't think the NY office of any V20 can fairly be called a "satellite" -- but law students seem to think non-HQ = automatically a satellite. Are people turning down offers at Latham and Gibson for this reason, too?

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:34 pm

Weird Willkie hate.

Aside from just being a “Hq” they’re also very good at all the basic corporate stuff in NY, easily better than Sidley at most of it.

Ropes could definitely be a better choice depending on what your specific interests are, especially if you wanna do PE stuff.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:57 pm

I voted Wilkie and I'm actually in Chicago. These are all excellent firms and it's silly to focus so much on vault rankings. Marginal advantage due to being the HQ.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:58 pm

Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:28 pm
Sackboy wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:24 pm
Agreed, I don't think the NY office of any V20 can fairly be called a "satellite" -- but law students seem to think non-HQ = automatically a satellite. Are people turning down offers at Latham and Gibson for this reason, too?
hmm idk about gibson but no way latham ny would be considered satellite office haha. almost 700 attorneys in ny, largest office of the firm (second largest being london office, LA office has less than 300 lawyers), and more than half of executive committee are in new york - it's a global firm but ny definitely feels more like the center

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:49 am

Sidley is more selective than Ropes and Willkie. Like, 3.3 v. 3.2 v. 3.1. So, at the very least, it helps you signal that you're a medianish kinda guy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:48 am

Willkie makes first years sit in a bullpen which is a huge negative IMO.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:48 am
Willkie makes first years sit in a bullpen which is a huge negative IMO.
That's actually a deal breaker IMO.

I change my vote to Ropes here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:37 am

Ropes' New York office is larger than the Boston office and has been for a few years now, so wouldn't call it a satellite. Depends on your specific transactional interest. They're very strong in private equity, as others mentioned.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:29 pm

Chambere band rankings: Willkie >>> Sidley.

/thread

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:44 am

I would go with Ropes if you want to do M&A and don't care about culture, but real answer would be to hear from some 2-3rd year corporate associates from each one to see to what degree they are hating it. None of these are satellite offices though, so don't factor that in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:27 am

Ropes also has some juniors in bullpens, so take Sidley if they’re the only firm not doing that.

Locally in NYC, they’re all good options and respected names. Nationally I’d say Sidley is a bit more prestigious than Ropes, which in turn is a much bigger name than Willkie.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:27 am
Ropes also has some juniors in bullpens, so take Sidley if they’re the only firm not doing that.

Locally in NYC, they’re all good options and respected names. Nationally I’d say Sidley is a bit more prestigious than Ropes, which in turn is a much bigger name than Willkie.
Sidley NY has bullpens too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”