Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:35 pm

Since pre-EIP hiring is occurring, time to get this started

In this thread, we help one another put together suitable bidlists, share information, assuage fears, offer advice on interviews and callbacks, etc.

Past threads:
2021 (EIP, Class of '23): viewtopic.php?f=23&t=310057
2021 (WIP, Class of '22): viewtopic.php?f=23&t=308092
2019: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=301793
2018: ?
2017: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=278460
2016: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=265024
2015: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=248971
2014: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=231040
2013: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=211338
2012: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=187757
2011: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=162163

Another good thread from this year with a good amount of CLS-specific advice: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=308119


Rules and tips:

I. Anonymous Handles

We all want to maintain some privacy during this process. That said, it is also nice to keep track of who is saying what. I recommend that everyone pick a handle with which to sign her anonymous posts (although you obviously don’t have to) so that we can keep track of one another.

II. Bidding

The basics of bidlist stuff should be straightforward even if you’re not Socrates: if you think other people are more likely to bid on a firm, you should bid it high. Firms that are less grade-selective or that have fewer interview spots are more competitive, so you should probably rank them higher. Don’t rank a firm high just because you want it, but if you really want a particular firm it might be good to rank it high for your peace of mind. The EIP Failed Bid Report helps with this, although relying too heavily on it could be a mistake (or so I've heard). Finally, spreading bids out between multiple markets increases the risk of striking out, especially if you don't have strong ties to those markets. We’ve all seen the data: there are just more jobs in New York, so NY is a solid backup for folks who are trying to head to California, Chicago, DC, etc.

III. Callbacks

Once we’re at least part-way through the first rings of interviewing hell, people will get callbacks. In past years, people would post the firm name and the initials of the person who interviewed them when they received a callback so that people would know that callbacks had gone out.

Good luck.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:35 pm
Since pre-EIP hiring is occurring, time to get this started

In this thread, we help one another put together suitable bidlists, share information, assuage fears, offer advice on interviews and callbacks, etc.

Past threads:
2021 (EIP, Class of '23): viewtopic.php?f=23&t=310057
2021 (WIP, Class of '22): viewtopic.php?f=23&t=308092
2019: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=301793
2018: ?
2017: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=278460
2016: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=265024
2015: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=248971
2014: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=231040
2013: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=211338
2012: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=187757
2011: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=162163

Another good thread from this year with a good amount of CLS-specific advice: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=308119


Rules and tips:

I. Anonymous Handles

We all want to maintain some privacy during this process. That said, it is also nice to keep track of who is saying what. I recommend that everyone pick a handle with which to sign her anonymous posts (although you obviously don’t have to) so that we can keep track of one another.

II. Bidding

The basics of bidlist stuff should be straightforward even if you’re not Socrates: if you think other people are more likely to bid on a firm, you should bid it high. Firms that are less grade-selective or that have fewer interview spots are more competitive, so you should probably rank them higher. Don’t rank a firm high just because you want it, but if you really want a particular firm it might be good to rank it high for your peace of mind. The EIP Failed Bid Report helps with this, although relying too heavily on it could be a mistake (or so I've heard). Finally, spreading bids out between multiple markets increases the risk of striking out, especially if you don't have strong ties to those markets. We’ve all seen the data: there are just more jobs in New York, so NY is a solid backup for folks who are trying to head to California, Chicago, DC, etc.

III. Callbacks

Once we’re at least part-way through the first rings of interviewing hell, people will get callbacks. In past years, people would post the firm name and the initials of the person who interviewed them when they received a callback so that people would know that callbacks had gone out.

Good luck.
4L dropping in here. Good luck all. I will try to help out when I have the time!

-Flop

Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:44 pm

junior associate in corporate after clerking fed COA, happy to answer q's and will drop by thread when I have time

Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:34 pm

4L willing to answer questions, etc.

-Sovereign

Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:55 pm

Any updates?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:18 pm

Since no one else is asking, I'll go ahead and bite for a bidlist review:

Relevant Info: GPA Average, Secondary Journal, TA Position for Fall, several years work experience outside law in local government. Focused entirely on NY market.

1 White & Case LLP
2 Paul Hastings LLP
3 Sidley Austin LLP
4 Milbank LLP
5 Kirkland & Ellis LLP
6 Winston & Strawn LLP
7 Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
8 Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher, & Flom
9 Ropes & Gray
10 Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
11 Dechert LLP
12 Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
13 Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
14 Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
15 Fried Frank Harris Shriver & Jacobson LLP
16 Gunderson Dettmer Stough Villeneuve Franklin & Hachigian, LLP
17 Vinson & Elkins LLP
18 Norton Rose Fulbright
19 Holland & Knight LLP
20 Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
21 Venable LLP
22 Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
23 Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
24 Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
25 Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
26 McDermott Will & Emery LLP
27 McKool Smith, P.C.
28 Mayer Brown LLP
29 Jones Day
30 Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
31 Seyfarth Shaw LLP
32 Stradley Ronon Stevens & Young LLP
33 Goulston & Storrs, PC
34 Patterson, Belknap, Webb & Tyler LLP
35 Holwell Shuster & Goldberg
36 Chaffetz Lindsey
37 Massumi + Consoli LLP
38 Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
39 Michelman & Robinson, LLP
40 Roberts & Holland LLP

Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:18 pm
Since no one else is asking, I'll go ahead and bite for a bidlist review:

Relevant Info: GPA Average, Secondary Journal, TA Position for Fall, several years work experience outside law in local government. Focused entirely on NY market.

1 White & Case LLP
2 Paul Hastings LLP
3 Sidley Austin LLP
4 Milbank LLP
5 Kirkland & Ellis LLP
6 Winston & Strawn LLP
7 Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
8 Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher, & Flom
9 Ropes & Gray
10 Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
11 Dechert LLP
12 Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
13 Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
14 Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
15 Fried Frank Harris Shriver & Jacobson LLP
16 Gunderson Dettmer Stough Villeneuve Franklin & Hachigian, LLP
17 Vinson & Elkins LLP
18 Norton Rose Fulbright
19 Holland & Knight LLP
20 Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
21 Venable LLP
22 Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
23 Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
24 Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
25 Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
26 McDermott Will & Emery LLP
27 McKool Smith, P.C.
28 Mayer Brown LLP
29 Jones Day
30 Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
31 Seyfarth Shaw LLP
32 Stradley Ronon Stevens & Young LLP
33 Goulston & Storrs, PC
34 Patterson, Belknap, Webb & Tyler LLP
35 Holwell Shuster & Goldberg
36 Chaffetz Lindsey
37 Massumi + Consoli LLP
38 Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
39 Michelman & Robinson, LLP
40 Roberts & Holland LLP

Thanks!
You have to give the FFB

Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:57 pm

1 White & Case LLP 1
2 Paul Hastings LLP 3
3 Sidley Austin LLP 10
4 Milbank LLP 7
5 Kirkland & Ellis LLP 7
6 Winston & Strawn LLP 11
7 Debevoise & Plimpton LLP 11
8 Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher, & Flom 11
9 Ropes & Gray 13
10 Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton 23 (Data is all over, so higher bid based on # of offers)
11 Dechert LLP 13
12 Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP 14
13 Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP 15
14 Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP 17
15 Fried Frank Harris Shriver & Jacobson LLP 20
16 Gunderson Dettmer 34 (Data suggest this is anomaly)
17 Vinson & Elkins LLP 20
18 Norton Rose Fulbright 20
19 Holland & Knight LLP 22
20 Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP 29 (Data suggests large move up)
21 Venable LLP 25
22 Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP 25
23 Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP 28 (Data suggests bigger move up than 3)
24 Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP 27
25 McDermott Will & Emery LLP 37 (Data suggests this is anomaly)
26 Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP 29
27 McKool Smith, P.C. 31
28 Mayer Brown LLP 32
29 Jones Day 36
30 Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP 34
31 Seyfarth Shaw LLP 33
32 Goulston & Storrs, PC 35
33 Stradley Ronon Stevens & Young LLP No Data
34 Patterson, Belknap, Webb & Tyler LLP No Data
35 Holwell Shuster & Goldberg No Data
36 Chaffetz Lindsey No Data
37 Massumi + Consoli LLP No Data
38 Epstein Becker & Green, P.C. 40
39 Roberts & Holland LLP 40
40 Michelman & Robinson, LLP No Failed Bid

Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:57 pm
1 White & Case LLP 1
2 Paul Hastings LLP 3
3 Sidley Austin LLP 10
4 Milbank LLP 7
5 Kirkland & Ellis LLP 7
6 Winston & Strawn LLP 11
7 Debevoise & Plimpton LLP 11
8 Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher, & Flom 11
9 Ropes & Gray 13
10 Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton 23 (Data is all over, so higher bid based on # of offers)
11 Dechert LLP 13
12 Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP 14
13 Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP 15
14 Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP 17
15 Fried Frank Harris Shriver & Jacobson LLP 20
16 Gunderson Dettmer 34 (Data suggest this is anomaly)
17 Vinson & Elkins LLP 20
18 Norton Rose Fulbright 20
19 Holland & Knight LLP 22
20 Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP 29 (Data suggests large move up)
21 Venable LLP 25
22 Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP 25
23 Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP 28 (Data suggests bigger move up than 3)
24 Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP 27
25 McDermott Will & Emery LLP 37 (Data suggests this is anomaly)
26 Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP 29
27 McKool Smith, P.C. 31
28 Mayer Brown LLP 32
29 Jones Day 36
30 Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP 34
31 Seyfarth Shaw LLP 33
32 Goulston & Storrs, PC 35
33 Stradley Ronon Stevens & Young LLP No Data
34 Patterson, Belknap, Webb & Tyler LLP No Data
35 Holwell Shuster & Goldberg No Data
36 Chaffetz Lindsey No Data
37 Massumi + Consoli LLP No Data
38 Epstein Becker & Green, P.C. 40
39 Roberts & Holland LLP 40
40 Michelman & Robinson, LLP No Failed Bid
Assuming average GPA means non-Stone.

Immediately, I would take out Kirkland, which would relieve pressure at the top. In general, you should be aiming for -4 or -5 FFB from last year to this year if you want a good chance at firms - right now, you are at serious risk of missing a lot of firms you need to be applying to. Some of the bottom firms are odd: you have no chance at Holwell, which is a lit boutique, I think Goulston is a real estate firm, Roberts & Holland is a tax boutique.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:35 pm

Thanks for the advice. Some issues I had with the end of the list is that there were no more firms to put there besides ones that had no data or no failed bids, and as you saw that made the end of the list somewhat odd. I've gone ahead and fixed the end by including some firms that I think may drop based on past trends - it seems like that would be a better use of my time then a boutique I have no chance at.

Here is version 2 with extended history of FFB

1 White & Case 1, 1, 2, 3
2 Paul Hastings 3, 4, 5, 8
3 Milbank 7, 8, 12, 16
4 Arnold & Porter 7, 8, 12, 15
5 Covington & Burling 7, 8, 9, 11
6 Debevoise & Plimpton 11, 29, 2, 2
7 Skadden 11, 33, 5, 6
8 Ropes & Gray 13, 12, 18, 23
9 Akin Gump Strauss 12, 15, 18, 7
10 Dechert 13, 13, 18, 22
11 Willkie Farr & Gallagher 14, 15, 19, 23
12 Goodwin 14, 19, 26, 8
13 Greenberg Traurig 16, 19, 21, 24
14 Baker & McKenzie 18, 7, 8, 12
15 Norton Rose Fulbright 20, 23, 18, 21
16 Fried Frank 20, 24, 30, 11
17 Vinson & Elkins 20, 22, 28, 9
18 Cleary Gottlieb 23, 25, 4, 5
19 Katten Muchin 22, 22, 25 ,30
20 Venable 25, 30, No Data
21 Pillsbury Winthrop 25, 29, 31, None
22 Cahill Gordon 28, 37, 21, 24
23 Stroock 27, 30, 33, No failed bid
24 Gunderson Dettmer 34, 16, 21, 26
25 Schulte Roth 29, 28, 17, 19
26 Cadwalader 29, 34, None, 23
27 Mayer Brown 32, 14, 15, 18
28 Wilson Sonsini 32, 6, 7, 12
29 Jones Day 36, 9, 10, 12
30 Seyfarth Shaw 33, 35, 38 No failed bid
31 McDermott Will 37, 25, 31, None
32 Manatt, Phelps & Phillips 34, 40, No data
33 Axinn 30, 38, 31, No failed bid
34 Seward & Kissel 37, No failed bid
35 McKool Smith 31, 37, No failed bid
36 Epstein Becker & Green 40, No failed bid
37 Patterson, Belknap, Webb No Data
38 Stradley Ronon Stevens No Data
39 Akerman LLP No Data
40 Michelman & Robinson No Failed Bids

Thanks again for all the help - the bidding process is especially confusing this year given all the swings in the data from Covid and other factors.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:35 pm
Thanks for the advice. Some issues I had with the end of the list is that there were no more firms to put there besides ones that had no data or no failed bids, and as you saw that made the end of the list somewhat odd. I've gone ahead and fixed the end by including some firms that I think may drop based on past trends - it seems like that would be a better use of my time then a boutique I have no chance at.

Here is version 2 with extended history of FFB

1 White & Case 1, 1, 2, 3
2 Paul Hastings 3, 4, 5, 8
3 Milbank 7, 8, 12, 16
4 Arnold & Porter 7, 8, 12, 15
5 Covington & Burling 7, 8, 9, 11
6 Debevoise & Plimpton 11, 29, 2, 2
7 Skadden 11, 33, 5, 6
8 Ropes & Gray 13, 12, 18, 23
9 Akin Gump Strauss 12, 15, 18, 7
10 Dechert 13, 13, 18, 22
11 Willkie Farr & Gallagher 14, 15, 19, 23
12 Goodwin 14, 19, 26, 8
13 Greenberg Traurig 16, 19, 21, 24
14 Baker & McKenzie 18, 7, 8, 12
15 Norton Rose Fulbright 20, 23, 18, 21
16 Fried Frank 20, 24, 30, 11
17 Vinson & Elkins 20, 22, 28, 9
18 Cleary Gottlieb 23, 25, 4, 5
19 Katten Muchin 22, 22, 25 ,30
20 Venable 25, 30, No Data
21 Pillsbury Winthrop 25, 29, 31, None
22 Cahill Gordon 28, 37, 21, 24
23 Stroock 27, 30, 33, No failed bid
24 Gunderson Dettmer 34, 16, 21, 26
25 Schulte Roth 29, 28, 17, 19
26 Cadwalader 29, 34, None, 23
27 Mayer Brown 32, 14, 15, 18
28 Wilson Sonsini 32, 6, 7, 12
29 Jones Day 36, 9, 10, 12
30 Seyfarth Shaw 33, 35, 38 No failed bid
31 McDermott Will 37, 25, 31, None
32 Manatt, Phelps & Phillips 34, 40, No data
33 Axinn 30, 38, 31, No failed bid
34 Seward & Kissel 37, No failed bid
35 McKool Smith 31, 37, No failed bid
36 Epstein Becker & Green 40, No failed bid
37 Patterson, Belknap, Webb No Data
38 Stradley Ronon Stevens No Data
39 Akerman LLP No Data
40 Michelman & Robinson No Failed Bids

Thanks again for all the help - the bidding process is especially confusing this year given all the swings in the data from Covid and other factors.
Your 9-21 is all pretty tight. I think you need to remove some firms there so that you can have more of a gap. If you are interested in Cleary, it should be closer to 10 like you had in V1 than 18. Very popular firms drop, but the year after the drop, the jump is crazy. You should also look up some of the firms at the end of the list. Even after your removals, I see McKool Smith, which you don’t have a great shot at because it’s a more grade-sensitive litigation shop, and Patterson Belknap, which is similar and doesn’t hire 2Ls.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:35 pm
Thanks for the advice. Some issues I had with the end of the list is that there were no more firms to put there besides ones that had no data or no failed bids, and as you saw that made the end of the list somewhat odd. I've gone ahead and fixed the end by including some firms that I think may drop based on past trends - it seems like that would be a better use of my time then a boutique I have no chance at.

Here is version 2 with extended history of FFB

1 White & Case 1, 1, 2, 3
2 Paul Hastings 3, 4, 5, 8
3 Milbank 7, 8, 12, 16
4 Arnold & Porter 7, 8, 12, 15
5 Covington & Burling 7, 8, 9, 11
6 Debevoise & Plimpton 11, 29, 2, 2
7 Skadden 11, 33, 5, 6
8 Ropes & Gray 13, 12, 18, 23
9 Akin Gump Strauss 12, 15, 18, 7
10 Dechert 13, 13, 18, 22
11 Willkie Farr & Gallagher 14, 15, 19, 23
12 Goodwin 14, 19, 26, 8
13 Greenberg Traurig 16, 19, 21, 24
14 Baker & McKenzie 18, 7, 8, 12
15 Norton Rose Fulbright 20, 23, 18, 21
16 Fried Frank 20, 24, 30, 11
17 Vinson & Elkins 20, 22, 28, 9
18 Cleary Gottlieb 23, 25, 4, 5
19 Katten Muchin 22, 22, 25 ,30
20 Venable 25, 30, No Data
21 Pillsbury Winthrop 25, 29, 31, None
22 Cahill Gordon 28, 37, 21, 24
23 Stroock 27, 30, 33, No failed bid
24 Gunderson Dettmer 34, 16, 21, 26
25 Schulte Roth 29, 28, 17, 19
26 Cadwalader 29, 34, None, 23
27 Mayer Brown 32, 14, 15, 18
28 Wilson Sonsini 32, 6, 7, 12
29 Jones Day 36, 9, 10, 12
30 Seyfarth Shaw 33, 35, 38 No failed bid
31 McDermott Will 37, 25, 31, None
32 Manatt, Phelps & Phillips 34, 40, No data
33 Axinn 30, 38, 31, No failed bid
34 Seward & Kissel 37, No failed bid
35 McKool Smith 31, 37, No failed bid
36 Epstein Becker & Green 40, No failed bid
37 Patterson, Belknap, Webb No Data
38 Stradley Ronon Stevens No Data
39 Akerman LLP No Data
40 Michelman & Robinson No Failed Bids

Thanks again for all the help - the bidding process is especially confusing this year given all the swings in the data from Covid and other factors.
Your 9-21 is all pretty tight. I think you need to remove some firms there so that you can have more of a gap. If you are interested in Cleary, it should be closer to 10 like you had in V1 than 18. Very popular firms drop, but the year after the drop, the jump is crazy. You should also look up some of the firms at the end of the list. Even after your removals, I see McKool Smith, which you don’t have a great shot at because it’s a more grade-sensitive litigation shop, and Patterson Belknap, which is similar and doesn’t hire 2Ls.
I would also be concerned about the OBH for some of these firms - Covington, Debevoise, and Ropes at first look should be quite selective.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:54 pm

Hi again - thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to look closer to those firms at the end of the list to make sure that I am not wasting any bids. Agree that about the tightness in the middle of the list - going to fix that in version 3.

Regarding Debevoise and Ropes, in recent years they are not that selective considering their incoming classes are so large and over half of the offers are given to non honors students for the past couple years. Comparatively it seems safer to include those than to go for a firm that is even less grade selective but only makes 10 offers vs 60 or 30.

I'll get back with version 3 sometime in the next day and would be very thankful if you could take one more look at the list. Thanks again!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:44 am

Would greatly appreciate any help with this bid list: K-jd 3.6 gpa secondary journal. Leaning litigation but open to trying transactional (M&A). Gonna more thoroughly review firms at the bottom of the list.

1. Gibson Dunn New York. 2/5/3/4
2. Paul Weiss New York. 3/4/5/8
3. Latham and Watkins New York. 5/5/7/9
4. Cravath. New York. 6/8/11/14
5. Kirkland and Ellis New York. 7/6/8/11
6. Millbank New York. 7/8/12/16
7. Sullivan and Cromwell New York. 12/14/17/23
8. Skaddden New York 11/33/5/6
9. Debevois New York. 11/29/2/2
10. Sidley Austin New York. 11/16/28/1
11. Ropes and Gray New York. 13/12/18/23
12. Goodwin New York 14/19/26/8
13. Kramer Levin New York. 15/17/21/26
14. Wachtell New York. 17/18/21/26
15. Simpson Thacher. new York. 22/26/16
16. Davis Polk New York. 26/37/5/7
17. Fried Frank New York 20/24/30/11
18. Cleary New York. 23/35/4/5
19. Shearman and Sterling New York 19/23/29/12
20. Cahill. New York. 23/35/4/5
21. Foley Hoag New York. 24/27/33
22. Cadwalader. New York. 29/34/none/23
23. Freshfields New York 27/24/29/24
24. Morgan Lewis Philadlephia 32/36/16/19.
25. Boies New York. 30/none/11/16
26. McKool Smith New York. 31/37
27. Mayer Brown. New York. 32/14/15/18
28. Lowenstein Sandler. New York 29/32/36/none
29. Perkins Cole. New York. 30/none
30. Jones Day New York. 36/9/10/12
31. Manett Phelps. New York. 34/40
32. Kostelanetz and Fink. New York. 36/38
33. Baker Botts Austin Texas. 37/32/38
34. Susman Godfrey New York. 39/13/16/19
35. McDermott. New York. 37/25/31
36. King and Spalding Austin None/34/30
37. Michelman and Robinson New York none/none
38. Norton Rose Austin None/40/40
39. Epstein Becker New York 40/none
40. Gunderson Dettmer Austin None

Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:13 pm

Hi all; back with version 3 of the Bid list. Going to explain my rationale for the overhauled list:

The end of the list: there's no more firms in New York to put at the bottom of the list besides small boutiques that I have no chance of getting into or small firms with no data, hence a riskier bid. I decided to leverage my ties to Texas and Florida and branch a bit out of exclusively New York.

The middle of the list: I went ahead and removed some firms and tried to have a minimum of 5 spaces between last years FFB and my bid. For some firms there is only 3 or 4 spaces, but for those firms the data is more consistent so that there is still a good chance of securing an interview.

Anyways, here's the list:
1 White & Case 1, 1, 2, 3
2 Paul Hastings 3, 4, 5, 8
3 Milbank 7, 8, 12, 16
4 Arnold & Porter 7, 8, 12, 15
5 Debevoise & Plimpton 11, 29, 2, 2
6 Akin Gump Strauss 12, 15, 18, 7
7 Ropes & Gray 13, 12, 18, 23
8 Dechert 13, 13, 18, 22
9 Willkie Farr & Gallagher 14, 15, 19, 23
10 Goodwin 14, 19, 26, 8
11 Cleary Gottlieb 23, 35, 4, 5
12 Morgan, Lewis & Bockius 17, 10, 14, 18
13 Baker & McKenzie 18, 7, 8, 12
14 Fried Frank 20, 24, 30, 11
15 Norton Rose Fulbright 20, 23, 18, 21
16 Vinson & Elkins 20, 22, 28, 9
17 Jones Day 36, 9, 10, 12
18 Katten Muchin 22, 22, 25 ,30
19 Gunderson Dettmer 34, 16, 21, 26
20 Venable 25, 30, No Data
21 Pillsbury Winthrop 25, 29, 31, No failed bid
22 Cahill Gordon 28, 37, 21, 24
23 Cadwalader 29, 34, None, 23
24 Schulte Roth 29, 28, 17, 19
25 Kelley Drye 27, 29. 25, No failed bid [Never been below 25 so banging on that]
26 Wilson Sonsini 32, 6, 7, 12, 27
28 Mayer Brown 32, 14, 15, 18, 29
30 McDermott Will 37, 25, 31, None
31 Sheppard, Mullin, Richter No Data, 24, 31, No failed bid
32 Seward & Kissel 37, No failed bid
33 Willkie Farr & Gallagher (Houston) No failed bids
34 Shearman & Sterling (Austin) No failed bids
35 Epstein Becker & Green 40, No failed bid
36 Akerman LLP No Data
37 Stradley Ronon Stevens No Data
38 Weil Gotshal (Miami) No failed bids
39 Hogan Lovells (Miami) No failed bids
40 Michelman & Robinson No Failed bids

jsnow212

Bronze
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:36 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by jsnow212 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:44 am
Would greatly appreciate any help with this bid list: K-jd 3.6 gpa secondary journal. Leaning litigation but open to trying transactional (M&A). Gonna more thoroughly review firms at the bottom of the list.

1. Gibson Dunn New York. 2/5/3/4
2. Paul Weiss New York. 3/4/5/8
3. Latham and Watkins New York. 5/5/7/9
4. Cravath. New York. 6/8/11/14
5. Kirkland and Ellis New York. 7/6/8/11
6. Millbank New York. 7/8/12/16
7. Sullivan and Cromwell New York. 12/14/17/23
8. Skaddden New York 11/33/5/6
9. Debevois New York. 11/29/2/2
10. Sidley Austin New York. 11/16/28/1
11. Ropes and Gray New York. 13/12/18/23
12. Goodwin New York 14/19/26/8
13. Kramer Levin New York. 15/17/21/26
14. Wachtell New York. 17/18/21/26
15. Simpson Thacher. new York. 22/26/16
16. Davis Polk New York. 26/37/5/7
17. Fried Frank New York 20/24/30/11
18. Cleary New York. 23/35/4/5
19. Shearman and Sterling New York 19/23/29/12
20. Cahill. New York. 23/35/4/5
21. Foley Hoag New York. 24/27/33
22. Cadwalader. New York. 29/34/none/23
23. Freshfields New York 27/24/29/24
24. Morgan Lewis Philadlephia 32/36/16/19.
25. Boies New York. 30/none/11/16
26. McKool Smith New York. 31/37
27. Mayer Brown. New York. 32/14/15/18
28. Lowenstein Sandler. New York 29/32/36/none
29. Perkins Cole. New York. 30/none
30. Jones Day New York. 36/9/10/12
31. Manett Phelps. New York. 34/40
32. Kostelanetz and Fink. New York. 36/38
33. Baker Botts Austin Texas. 37/32/38
34. Susman Godfrey New York. 39/13/16/19
35. McDermott. New York. 37/25/31
36. King and Spalding Austin None/34/30
37. Michelman and Robinson New York none/none
38. Norton Rose Austin None/40/40
39. Epstein Becker New York 40/none
40. Gunderson Dettmer Austin None
Some of these are too tight. Move Skadden and Deb up one. Drop SullCrom to 9. (Alternatively, drop Sullcrom to 8 and put one of Skadden and Deb at 7). Get rid of one of Sidley/Ropes/Goodwin. Shift the whole list up from there. Drop Wachtell, shift the whole list from up there. Just my opinion(s) for minimizing failed bids with your list and priorities.

Also, looking at it, even the top 6 are fairly tight. Might consider getting rid of one of PW/Gibson/Latham and just shifting up from there. May not even get ChillBank at spot 5.
Last edited by jsnow212 on Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:44 am
Would greatly appreciate any help with this bid list: K-jd 3.6 gpa secondary journal. Leaning litigation but open to trying transactional (M&A). Gonna more thoroughly review firms at the bottom of the list.

1. Gibson Dunn New York. 2/5/3/4
2. Paul Weiss New York. 3/4/5/8
3. Latham and Watkins New York. 5/5/7/9
4. Cravath. New York. 6/8/11/14
5. Kirkland and Ellis New York. 7/6/8/11
6. Millbank New York. 7/8/12/16
7. Sullivan and Cromwell New York. 12/14/17/23
8. Skaddden New York 11/33/5/6
9. Debevois New York. 11/29/2/2
10. Sidley Austin New York. 11/16/28/1
11. Ropes and Gray New York. 13/12/18/23
12. Goodwin New York 14/19/26/8
13. Kramer Levin New York. 15/17/21/26
14. Wachtell New York. 17/18/21/26
15. Simpson Thacher. new York. 22/26/16
16. Davis Polk New York. 26/37/5/7
17. Fried Frank New York 20/24/30/11
18. Cleary New York. 23/35/4/5
19. Shearman and Sterling New York 19/23/29/12
20. Cahill. New York. 23/35/4/5
21. Foley Hoag New York. 24/27/33
22. Cadwalader. New York. 29/34/none/23
23. Freshfields New York 27/24/29/24
24. Morgan Lewis Philadlephia 32/36/16/19.
25. Boies New York. 30/none/11/16
26. McKool Smith New York. 31/37
27. Mayer Brown. New York. 32/14/15/18
28. Lowenstein Sandler. New York 29/32/36/none
29. Perkins Cole. New York. 30/none
30. Jones Day New York. 36/9/10/12
31. Manett Phelps. New York. 34/40
32. Kostelanetz and Fink. New York. 36/38
33. Baker Botts Austin Texas. 37/32/38
34. Susman Godfrey New York. 39/13/16/19
35. McDermott. New York. 37/25/31
36. King and Spalding Austin None/34/30
37. Michelman and Robinson New York none/none
38. Norton Rose Austin None/40/40
39. Epstein Becker New York 40/none
40. Gunderson Dettmer Austin None
This is way too tight and a lot of these firms are doing pre-EIP recruiting, I would strongly try reaching out to some of these firms and seeing if you can get interviews, a 3.6 should get some interest.

I put cross-marks through firms I would personally take out to allow you to space bids out more, but other than basically Wachtell, you can decide amongst the firms you prefer in the area.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:13 pm
Hi all; back with version 3 of the Bid list. Going to explain my rationale for the overhauled list:

The end of the list: there's no more firms in New York to put at the bottom of the list besides small boutiques that I have no chance of getting into or small firms with no data, hence a riskier bid. I decided to leverage my ties to Texas and Florida and branch a bit out of exclusively New York.

The middle of the list: I went ahead and removed some firms and tried to have a minimum of 5 spaces between last years FFB and my bid. For some firms there is only 3 or 4 spaces, but for those firms the data is more consistent so that there is still a good chance of securing an interview.

Anyways, here's the list:
1 White & Case 1, 1, 2, 3
2 Paul Hastings 3, 4, 5, 8
3 Milbank 7, 8, 12, 16
4 Arnold & Porter 7, 8, 12, 15
5 Debevoise & Plimpton 11, 29, 2, 2
6 Akin Gump Strauss 12, 15, 18, 7
7 Ropes & Gray 13, 12, 18, 23
8 Dechert 13, 13, 18, 22
9 Willkie Farr & Gallagher 14, 15, 19, 23
10 Goodwin 14, 19, 26, 8
11 Cleary Gottlieb 23, 35, 4, 5
12 Morgan, Lewis & Bockius 17, 10, 14, 18
13 Baker & McKenzie 18, 7, 8, 12
14 Fried Frank 20, 24, 30, 11
15 Norton Rose Fulbright 20, 23, 18, 21
16 Vinson & Elkins 20, 22, 28, 9
17 Jones Day 36, 9, 10, 12
18 Katten Muchin 22, 22, 25 ,30
19 Gunderson Dettmer 34, 16, 21, 26
20 Venable 25, 30, No Data
21 Pillsbury Winthrop 25, 29, 31, No failed bid
22 Cahill Gordon 28, 37, 21, 24
23 Cadwalader 29, 34, None, 23
24 Schulte Roth 29, 28, 17, 19
25 Kelley Drye 27, 29. 25, No failed bid [Never been below 25 so banging on that]
26 Wilson Sonsini 32, 6, 7, 12, 27
28 Mayer Brown 32, 14, 15, 18, 29
30 McDermott Will 37, 25, 31, None
31 Sheppard, Mullin, Richter No Data, 24, 31, No failed bid
32 Seward & Kissel 37, No failed bid
33 Willkie Farr & Gallagher (Houston) No failed bids
34 Shearman & Sterling (Austin) No failed bids
35 Epstein Becker & Green 40, No failed bid
36 Akerman LLP No Data
37 Stradley Ronon Stevens No Data
38 Weil Gotshal (Miami) No failed bids
39 Hogan Lovells (Miami) No failed bids
40 Michelman & Robinson No Failed bids
Generally seems ok. If you don't know the firms at the bottom and don't care about them, you might be better off putting firms you know you aren't going to get there and begging for an interview at a hospitality suite. I don't know if that still works though post-COVID.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:54 pm
Hi again - thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to look closer to those firms at the end of the list to make sure that I am not wasting any bids. Agree that about the tightness in the middle of the list - going to fix that in version 3.

Regarding Debevoise and Ropes, in recent years they are not that selective considering their incoming classes are so large and over half of the offers are given to non honors students for the past couple years. Comparatively it seems safer to include those than to go for a firm that is even less grade selective but only makes 10 offers vs 60 or 30.

I'll get back with version 3 sometime in the next day and would be very thankful if you could take one more look at the list. Thanks again!
I work at one of Deb and Ropes. Going by stats for the past few years is dumb. This year will be more selective due to economic conditions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:54 pm
Hi again - thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to look closer to those firms at the end of the list to make sure that I am not wasting any bids. Agree that about the tightness in the middle of the list - going to fix that in version 3.

Regarding Debevoise and Ropes, in recent years they are not that selective considering their incoming classes are so large and over half of the offers are given to non honors students for the past couple years. Comparatively it seems safer to include those than to go for a firm that is even less grade selective but only makes 10 offers vs 60 or 30.

I'll get back with version 3 sometime in the next day and would be very thankful if you could take one more look at the list. Thanks again!
I work at one of Deb and Ropes. Going by stats for the past few years is dumb. This year will be more selective due to economic conditions.
Is this for sure?

Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:54 pm
Hi again - thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to look closer to those firms at the end of the list to make sure that I am not wasting any bids. Agree that about the tightness in the middle of the list - going to fix that in version 3.

Regarding Debevoise and Ropes, in recent years they are not that selective considering their incoming classes are so large and over half of the offers are given to non honors students for the past couple years. Comparatively it seems safer to include those than to go for a firm that is even less grade selective but only makes 10 offers vs 60 or 30.

I'll get back with version 3 sometime in the next day and would be very thankful if you could take one more look at the list. Thanks again!
I work at one of Deb and Ropes. Going by stats for the past few years is dumb. This year will be more selective due to economic conditions.
Is this for sure?
For corporate, nearly all firms will be tightening up their hiring to some extent. 2021 was the frothiest year since 2006.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:29 pm

Hey all, I really appreciate the previous advice on my bid list! :D
Here is the second version if anyone wants to let me know what they think.

1. Gibson Dunn New York. 2/5/3/4
2. Paul Weiss New York. 3/4/5/8
3. Cravath. New York. 6/8/11/14
4. Kirkland and Ellis New York. 7/6/8/11
5. Skaddden New York 11/33/5/6
6. Debevois New York. 11/29/2/2.
7. Sullivan and Cromwell New York. 12/14/17/23
8. Ropes and Gray New York. 13/12/18/23
9. Goodwin New York 14/19/26/8
10. Wilkie Farr. New York 14/15/19/23
11. Kramer Levin New York. 15/17/21/26
12. Cleary New York. 23/35/4/5
13. Fried Frank New York 20/24/30/11.
14. Davis Polk. New York 26/27/5/7
15. Simpson Thacher. New York 22/26/16
16. Cahill. New York. 23/35/4/5
17. Morgan Lewis Philadelphia 32/36/16/19.
18. Hughes Hubbard New York 23/none/24/27
19. Freshfields New York 27/24/29/24
20. Pillsbury Winthrop. New York. 25/29/31/none
21. Cadwalader. New York. 29/34/none/23
22. Kasowitz Benson New York. 27/30/34/none
23. Mayer Brown. New York. 32/14/15/18
24. Dechert. Philadelphia. None/30/34/none
25. Perkins Cole. New York. 30/none
26. Boies New York. 30/none/11/16
27. Kaplan Hecker and Fink. New York. 29/none/14/19
28. Troutman Pepper. Philadelphia. none/31/36/none
29. McDermott. New York. 37/25/31
30. Seward & Kissel New York. 33/35/38/none
31. King and Spalding Austin None/34/30
32. Jones Day New York. 36/9/10/12
33. Vinson and Elkins Austin. none/35/40/none
34. Kostelanetz and Fink. New York. 36/38
35. Baker Botts Austin Texas. 37/32/38
36. Norton Rose Austin None/40/40[/size]

Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:24 am

how soon do people get callback requests or rejections?

Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:26 pm

Anybody get a Cleary CB yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 408500
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia Law EIP 2022 (Class of '24) Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:04 pm

Rejection from F&F.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”