Baker Hostetler info Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Baker Hostetler info

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:19 am

I’m thinking about lateraling to Baker Hostetler in a lit group. Would love any insight on the following:

1. Any asshole groups?
2. How does credit allocation work?
3. Do you need to spend a certain amount of time as non-equity before you’re eligible for equity?
4. Caliber of the firm? I’ve never litigated with/against them. Every firm has good/bad lawyers, but I’d be interested in general data points.
5. How open is the leadership? Does a cabal of partners make all the decisions or is leadership more transparent?

Anonymous User

Re: Baker Hostetler info

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:47 pm

I worked there for a while.

1. Any asshole groups?

Yes, there are totalitarian groups and there are bad partners within good groups. I'd say the L&E lit group and the privacy group are well known to be the harshest groups at the firm. extremely demanding and no thanks ever given. super intense and high turnover.

2. How does credit allocation work?

there is billing credit and supervisory credit. for billing credit, you essentially have to be the relationship partner so thats few and far between. for supervisory credit, those are mostly partners and it doesn't mean a whole ton.

3. Do you need to spend a certain amount of time as non-equity before you’re eligible for equity?

I think they give you worlds smallest amount of equity as soon as you become partner and you don't get substantial equity for a longggggg time after that. Seems like most of the equity heavy partners have been there for decades and they wont leave.

4. Caliber of the firm? I’ve never litigated with/against them. Every firm has good/bad lawyers, but I’d be interested in general data points.

from what I've heard and know, you are going to have to make a lot of pitches to get cases (none of which is billable in any respect whatsoever and you will get no credit at all for doing so). baker is still vying to get top clients so they will often give "discounts" to get those clients and tell associates they can only bill 2 hours for a 20 hour project for example.

5. How open is the leadership? Does a cabal of partners make all the decisions or is leadership more transparent?

leadership firmwide appears to be cordial but they do not give special bonuses or discuss how the firm pays under market. when covid hit and they retroactively capped pro bono and gave everyone pay cuts, the messaging was horrible and firm did not show any sympathy. the leadership within each group is highly dependent on which group you go ti.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”