Junior lateral very slow Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Junior lateral very slow

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:04 am

Hi all,

I lateraled as a first year to another firm in order to switch geographies and have been extremely slow since lateraling. It's been a few months. I haven't billed more than 120 hours since joining. It's a different practice group than before, so I'm still learning. I have made some minor mistakes but I feel like the lack of reps makes it hard to learn (although I am improving). I have had a good attitude, am responsive, don't blow any deadlines, and have asked for work. Some of the senior associates have been giving me some guidance and mentorship as well.

They keep saying just to be patient and the work is coming but I'm honestly getting worried due to my hours. I have consistently asked for work from our work coordinator as well. It's a smaller satellite type office. I feel like having just lateraled, I'm not sure I can lateral again so soon. I like the office other than having low hours. No one has said anything to me, just that they want me to keep learning while I am slow. I'm just hoping they'll give me a solid year and don't fire me before I end my 2nd year. Hoping I could lateral somewhere then or try to go in house. Just scared and not sure what to expect here. Another lateral who came in as a later class year has been slow as well. My plan is if I don't pick up this month, to reach out to other offices for work. Firm is V1-50, don't want to be specific.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Junior lateral very slow

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:20 am

When I was a junior I had a friend when slow go back and read over docs repeatedly to pump up his hours (and learn what the hell is going on I guess). Not sure if it was effective but it's something to do.

Preferably it should be a deal that is active so you can bill hours on it and not get in trouble or something

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:37 pm

Hi Anon,

In exactly the same boat as you. First year who lateraled into a different practice group. Have been extremely slow. Billed under 100 hours in my first month. This month isn't looking any better. Have reached out, etc. Also don't want to get fired or let go--so I'm doing my best to ask for work, let people know I can be of help, etc. Another lateral I talked to said that he/she took several months to get up to speed--granted he/she was a midlevel and not junior and knew a thing or too. To be honest, if it doesn't pick up for me in the next 4 or so months, will start talking to a recruiter again. Not sure what else to do, but you're not alone.

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:04 am
Hi all,

I lateraled as a first year to another firm in order to switch geographies and have been extremely slow since lateraling. It's been a few months. I haven't billed more than 120 hours since joining. It's a different practice group than before, so I'm still learning. I have made some minor mistakes but I feel like the lack of reps makes it hard to learn (although I am improving). I have had a good attitude, am responsive, don't blow any deadlines, and have asked for work. Some of the senior associates have been giving me some guidance and mentorship as well.

They keep saying just to be patient and the work is coming but I'm honestly getting worried due to my hours. I have consistently asked for work from our work coordinator as well. It's a smaller satellite type office. I feel like having just lateraled, I'm not sure I can lateral again so soon. I like the office other than having low hours. No one has said anything to me, just that they want me to keep learning while I am slow. I'm just hoping they'll give me a solid year and don't fire me before I end my 2nd year. Hoping I could lateral somewhere then or try to go in house. Just scared and not sure what to expect here. Another lateral who came in as a later class year has been slow as well. My plan is if I don't pick up this month, to reach out to other offices for work. Firm is V1-50, don't want to be specific.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:32 pm

Pretty sure if there's a paper trail of you asking for work (email, etc.), you'll be more than fine and it's on the firm to ensure that you're being staffed properly. Also, at what point did you two lateral during your first year? 10/11 months vs. 2 months of experience is quite the difference.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:44 pm

I understand the ramping up thing, but If you get the feeling you’re in an office or group without traction I would exit ASAP. Here is the issue.

Slow group means insufficient experience, no bonus potential, and anxiety over whether you’ll be stealthed or outright laid off in the short to medium term.

Never forget that law firms are ruthless places to survive. Take care of yourself. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cfcm

Silver

Post by cfcm » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:45 pm

I realize you said you work in a satellite office, but even so I'd be pretty cautious about reaching out to another office for work unless that is something this is typically done in your group/office. If your staffing coordinator is telling you to be patient, then I think you are good to do so.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:32 pm
Pretty sure if there's a paper trail of you asking for work (email, etc.), you'll be more than fine and it's on the firm to ensure that you're being staffed properly. Also, at what point did you two lateral during your first year? 10/11 months vs. 2 months of experience is quite the difference.
I am the second anon, but I lateraled after about 2 months of experience into a different practice group. Also currently on like 4-6 different clients/deals and have yet to turn down any work, just no one is asking anything of me :/ or if they do, its very discrete projects/drafting

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:44 am

I'm at at V50 and before the M&A boom, it was perfectly normal at my firm for first year associates to be slow for like six months from the date of joining because quite frankly no one wants to train a fresh first year. As a mid-level, I would rather bring on a 2nd year or 3rd year who can do work without me having to redo 100% of it. Things will get better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:37 pm
Hi Anon,

In exactly the same boat as you. First year who lateraled into a different practice group. Have been extremely slow. Billed under 100 hours in my first month. This month isn't looking any better. Have reached out, etc. Also don't want to get fired or let go--so I'm doing my best to ask for work, let people know I can be of help, etc. Another lateral I talked to said that he/she took several months to get up to speed--granted he/she was a midlevel and not junior and knew a thing or too. To be honest, if it doesn't pick up for me in the next 4 or so months, will start talking to a recruiter again. Not sure what else to do, but you're not alone.

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:04 am
Hi all,

Thanks!
I don't understand this logic. "I'm making tons of paying and am working a bit below my billables requirement. I was probably specifically hired because things were busy at this firm and they need the extra hands. So there is a solid chance I'll make up for it at a later date. ...I hate it and am going to leave, so I can hopefully be worked to death. Free time sucks."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Whatislaw

Bronze

Post by Whatislaw » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:19 am

I assume the OP and subsequent poster's concerns are job security and not getting integrated into the team as a sign they have no future there. Not the I want to work to death stick.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:42 pm

Subsequent poster here: Yes, concerns are that I get pushed out because my hours are too low. Also, that after a year I have nothing to show, or didn't gain any valuable skills (i.e., could legitimately be considered a mid-level at some point).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”