UPL concerns with WFH - mixed signals? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

UPL concerns with WFH - mixed signals?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:49 pm

So is remote work from a state in which you are NOT barred allowed on a firm-by-firm basis? From what I'm reading, seems like the ABA rules will allow remote work so long as the attorney (1) does not represent him/herself as being barred in the state and (2) only works with clients based in the state that he/she is barred in (what this means for MNCs and large corporate clients, I have no idea...nerve center?).

I guess from an associate perspective, if the website simply makes one look as though they are based in their barred state and makes no mention of where he/she actually lives, there should be no problems?

Seems like some firms are looking to hire remote only if the worker is located in a state in which the firm does not have a presence. Others don't specify and are flexible.

All of this is to say, f- the bar exam and I'm not taking it again if I can help it. Anyone have experience looking to work from another state that he/she is not barred in? What was the firm's response? Would going into work at the local office branch count as "holding yourself out" under the ethics rules?

Return to “Legal Employment”