Rising 2L: I hate my Business Associations class but I've accepted a V5 corporate offer. Am I screwed? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Future corporate lawyer finds corporate law boring

Yes, you're screwed.
17%
No, practice and law school are two different things.
66%
No, BA is just boring.
14%
No, it'll get better.
3%

Total votes: 107

Anonymous User

Re: Rising 2L: I hate my Business Associations class but I've accepted a V5 corporate offer. Am I screwed?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:06 pm

Yes, but if it had been a V20 offer you would have been fine. :roll:

Anonymous User

Re: Rising 2L: I hate my Business Associations class but I've accepted a V5 corporate offer. Am I screwed?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:06 pm
Yes, but if it had been a V20 offer you would have been fine. :roll:
Lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:05 pm

BA is annoying but when you study for the bar you'll appreciate having learned 3 topics (agency, corporations, partnership).

Agency in general is a pretty important concept, it should be incorporated into the 1L program.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:19 pm

Most threshold Corporations curricula are still business litigation focused: Revlon issues, Delaware corporations law, derivative litigation, agency and corporate powers, 10b-5, ect. You’re still reading cases and talking about how to formulate legal arguments in live disputes. You might look at some registration statements but you aren’t going deep on any of the issues transactional lawyers actually work on in cap markets, credit, M&A, ect. It’s probably more telling about whether you want to be a commercial litigator at a big New York firm.

Courses like Corporate Finance, Securities, and any M&A seminars (especially those taught by practicing corporate attorneys) should be more indicative of your interest in transactional work. Depending on the law school and prof, those, too, might wind up with an inherent litigation focus because that is so much of law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jumpingdoodle

New

Post by jumpingdoodle » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:19 pm
Most threshold Corporations curricula are still business litigation focused: Revlon issues, Delaware corporations law, derivative litigation, agency and corporate powers, 10b-5, ect. You’re still reading cases and talking about how to formulate legal arguments in live disputes. You might look at some registration statements but you aren’t going deep on any of the issues transactional lawyers actually work on in cap markets, credit, M&A, ect. It’s probably more telling about whether you want to be a commercial litigator at a big New York firm.

Courses like Corporate Finance, Securities, and any M&A seminars (especially those taught by practicing corporate attorneys) should be more indicative of your interest in transactional work. Depending on the law school and prof, those, too, might wind up with an inherent litigation focus because that is so much of law school.
Good answer. Not the OP, but thank you. I'm taking BA this semester and actually like it, but that's still good to know.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:56 pm

Why is there no "Yes, practice and law school may be different things but you are still screwed" option?

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:06 pm

Bosque wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:56 pm
Why is there no "Yes, practice and law school may be different things but you are still screwed" option?
TITCR. You are screwed b/c you accepted a V5 corporate job, whether or not you like your Business Associations class.

Money can't buy freedom.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:46 pm

Hold on, which V5 firm requires incoming SAs to pre-commit to corporate vs. litigation? (i.e. the premise of OP’s question)

Obviously most firms record your preference during the hiring and the intake processes, but I’ve never heard of V10 firms boxing people in like that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:34 pm

eastcoast_iub wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:06 pm
Bosque wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:56 pm
TITCR. You are screwed b/c you accepted a V5 corporate job, whether or not you like your Business Associations class.

Money can't buy freedom.
I've been in this job long enough to know your point.

But as a black man that grew up in poverty that last sentence made laugh out loud at my screen. The only people that feel like money can't buy X are people who have always had enough of it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:46 pm
Hold on, which V5 firm requires incoming SAs to pre-commit to corporate vs. litigation? (i.e. the premise of OP’s question)

Obviously most firms record your preference during the hiring and the intake processes, but I’ve never heard of V10 firms boxing people in like that.
I never worked at a V10 but if none of them hire based on practice group for at least some offices that seems completely insane to me. I worked at a V50, and some larger offices worked like that, but it would be unrealistic in smaller offices to not pre-slot the limited number of openings into practice groups.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”