NY: Kirkland vs Weil? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NY: Kirkland vs Weil?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:58 am

Curious as to what the pros and cons are between these two firms. I don't have a specific practice area in mind and would like to explore different areas during the summer. My interests right now are as broad as being generally interested in corporate, lit, and restructuring (but leaning towards corporate). I know a big difference between these two firms is the way work is assigned (free market vs structured assignment system with assignment coordinator(s)). There's also a Vault ranking difference, although I don't know how much it should factor into my decision. Any help would be appreciated! :)

Anonymous User

Re: NY: Kirkland vs Weil?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:18 am

I don't know too much about either aside from what's generally said on here, but I will say I much prefer a free market system to a structured one, but that's personal preference I guess. I will also say, do not put much, if any, stock into Vault rankings; they are fairly meaningless.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:18 am
I don't know too much about either aside from what's generally said on here, but I will say I much prefer a free market system to a structured one, but that's personal preference I guess. I will also say, do not put much, if any, stock into Vault rankings; they are fairly meaningless.
Weil and don't look back. But this is hard to answer without a practice group preference.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:35 am

Also, Kirkland summers are hired into specific practice groups. There's no rotation system like at Weil. There's still opportunity to explore at Kirkland, for the most part—if you're in general transactional you don't have to specialize for a few years and litigation is all generalists. But definitely go with Weil if you don't know what group you want just yet (and for other reasons too).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:09 pm

Does anyone have any input on culture differences between the 2 firms? (although I know it's pretty difficult to generalize, especially with no specific practice groups of interest)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

the lsat failure

New

Post by the lsat failure » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:48 pm

With the sheer size of the NY offices for both firms, it's hard to generalize "culture" at either. But I really think that this will come down to whether or not you want to work in a "free-market" system and whether you have any connections with partners/associates at either that you think might make for a good working relationship.

You'll receive great training at both and exit options will largely be a function of you as an individual and not which firm you come from. Don't let Vault rankings alone dictate your choice (too many friends who've done this and now regret their decision).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:35 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Weil and don't look back. But this is hard to answer without a practice group preference.
Curious why you say that? How would you compare the M&A/PE groups at both firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:35 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Curious why you say that? How would you compare the M&A/PE groups at both firms?
Listen I'm just repeating stories I've heard through the grapevine, but KE just sounds like a really tough place. It's possible that suits you, though. Are you an aggressive go-getter who's not afraid of competing with associates in your class? Could be the right fit. I'm sure they have slightly stronger M&A/PE groups, although Weil's PE is very strong and Mike Aiello in M&A at Weil is a HOF partner on Chambers, but for most people, and me, that wouldn't be worth it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:27 pm

If comparing both firms and someone is interested in M&A or cap markets, would Kirkland be the obvious choice?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:27 pm
If comparing both firms and someone is interested in M&A or cap markets, would Kirkland be the obvious choice?
No, not at all. It depends on who you are as a person. Kirkland M&A is a different culture from Weil M&A.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:25 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:27 pm
No, not at all. It depends on who you are as a person. Kirkland M&A is a different culture from Weil M&A.
Would you mind elaborating a bit?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”