Take in-house role in consolidating industry or stay biglaw until bonuses pay Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Take in-house role in consolidating industry or stay biglaw until bonuses pay

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:23 am

Would you take a role at a start-up in an industry that is likely to consolidate? I'm a mid/senior Big-Law corporate associate. Have the opportunity to join a startup that is entering its Series C. The space is consolidating (it's past-due for consolidation) and the consensus from those in this space is that this company will be one to be acquired - not one that will acquire others. Comp is below my big-law comp, but they offered me more than I expected and the comp is very doable - benefits are okay, but no bonus (stock options, 401k match, fully paid health insurance are positives). Big plus is I would be the sole in-house legal counsel and they would want me to grow into the GC (starts out as AGC) as well as build the legal department. Downside is I would also have to commute to work (I currently work and don't own a car).

Would you take on a role like this? Would have to leave my year end bonus and 1/2 of the COVID bonus (so about $150k).

Edit: Should add that I don't think the company I am considering joining will be one consolidating the industry, but likely one that will be acquired.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Take in-house role in consolidating industry or stay biglaw until bonuses pay

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:38 pm

Unless you time things out just right or find an opportunity that will make you whole, you’ll always leave biglaw with some bonus on the table and that number will only get bigger and harder to pass up the longer you stay. This sounds like an exciting opportunity—if I were you I’d take it (also recently left biglaw as a midlevel to go in house).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”