Offer incoming but I want to seek out better opportunities Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ligma

New

Offer incoming but I want to seek out better opportunities

Post by ligma » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:11 pm

Hey all.

I’m a rising 3L and after a tough 2L summer associate job search, and a few near misses at v100s, I settled for a boutique lit firm in a mid market. The drop off from big law was pretty significant, but the firm still pays decent and does good and sophisticated work. I’ve enjoyed my time here but I feel capable winding up somewhere better. My resume is significantly more accomplished than some of the other younger associates’ coming out of college, and I just barely missed out on a few great firms.

Anyway, I have an offer coming soon and I don’t know what to do. Ideally I’d be able to keep it in my back pocket while searching elsewhere, including at larger firms in the same market. They’re going to offer me $85k + a pretty solid bonus structured based on billable hours, potentially up to 40k if I bill big law type hours.

I want to give big people another shot and I think I have a couple of leads with firms that pay market—but I wouldn’t bet the house on landing them. I want to apply to firms in this same market, like midsize firms that pay 130k base and big law firms paying between 170k and 190k. My boss knows everyone though; he came from a large firm, is well known in the market, and regularly networks with his colleagues at the firms I’d be applying to.

What the hell do I do? I don’t want the firm to think I’m jerking them around or like they’re a fallback for me, because I know my boss is a prideful man who might not take kindly to that. But I don’t wanna gamble away a job that will get me 6 figures after bonuses. Anyone navigate a similar situation and have advice on how to handle it?

Thank you in advance!

Anonymous User

Re: Offer incoming but I want to seek out better opportunities

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:35 am

Have you signed anything yet? If not, you're still playing the free market.

You have to look out for the no. 1 in your life, which is you.

Ask the summer associates during the 2008 recession who had their summer offers pulled the month before their summer was supposed to begin.

Keep doing what you're doing and cross the possible bridge when you get there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:33 am

Hold your offer open as long as possible, and apply broadly in the meantime. State in your cover letter that you wish to maintain confidentiality. If you don't receive any better offers before you have to accept the first offer, then accept the first offer. But keep applying even after you accept the offer, and if you land something better, take it.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:32 pm

Clearly, OP is looking out for #1 or there would not be an issue.

Best advice so far is to request confidentiality in the cover letter.

OP: How big--or small--is your mid-market location ?

Are you tied to this location or are you willing to apply in other markets ?

If focused just on this particular mid-market location, then you know the risk involved in continuing to send out resumes after accepting the expected $85k offer.

My suggestion: Request confidentiality. Apply to law firms in other markets.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”