Secondment for litigators

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
litigation-nation

New

Secondment for litigators

Post by litigation-nation » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:17 pm

Hi all. From what I’ve read and heard, most secondments seem to be for corporate/transactional associates and often used as a transitionary part of a career, to strengthen a relationship with a client, or to give the associate something to do while work is slow.

However, I have heard of litigation associates seconding for a few months with DAs to gain courtroom experience they can bring back to the firm. This seems super cool. Any biglaw litigators have any knowledge or experience with secondments you’d be willing to share? Any advice for finding said opportunities and getting your firm to agree to it?

Anonymous User

Re: Secondment for litigators

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:15 pm

At a V50 firm in California in a specialized litigation group. Two senior associates, one of whom has now made partner, both did secondments at technology companies who were our clients. I believe in both cases it was to fill in for someone on vacation, and in both cases the companies had large specialized legal departments so they were temporarily replacing someone who specialized in litigation. From what I understand, it's good for business development.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:58 pm

I know people who were at Goodwin and Ropes in Boston who did details to a local DA's office. Pretty sure it was something that the firms already had in place rather than the associates arranging it, but I could be wrong about that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:41 pm

Echoing the posters above--there are also secondment opportunities at federal public defender's offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:58 pm
I know people who were at Goodwin and Ropes in Boston who did details to a local DA's office. Pretty sure it was something that the firms already had in place rather than the associates arranging it, but I could be wrong about that.
Choate also does it. I think these firms have a pre-arranged program.

12YrsAnAssociate

Bronze

Post by 12YrsAnAssociate » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:20 pm

Bank of America takes on some litigators for secondments, if I recall correctly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”