Leave firm after 2 months?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Leave firm after 2 months?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:01 pm

I’m a 2020 grad and just moved to tertiary home market in a flyover state. We have about 3-4 go to firms that take ~top 10% of in state grads or basically any t20 grad with ties. I am at one of these firms, and I’m happy here - albeit only been here 2 months.

One of the aforementioned 3-4 firms is in a tier of its own. Known around the state as being “the best” firm. They pay slightly more than my current firm. I have good reason to believe I’ll get hired there if I shoot over an application. My question is - should I even bother? Partnership prospects are about the same, pay is slightly better, firm is slightly more prestigious in the area.

I can see myself at either firm for 7+ years. The firm I’m not with was my top choice coming in, but they weren’t hiring a few months ago. It pains me that now they are, and like I said I’m still with a top local firm, but not THE TOP local firm. Fwiw, it’s a small market and word gets spread around. At the same time, I feel I may be early enough in my legal career to get a free pass.

Thoughts?

sparty99

Gold

Re: Leave firm after 2 months?

Post by sparty99 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:08 pm

No one really cares what you do.

Casper123

New

Post by Casper123 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:01 pm
I’m a 2020 grad and just moved to tertiary home market in a flyover state. We have about 3-4 go to firms that take ~top 10% of in state grads or basically any t20 grad with ties. I am at one of these firms, and I’m happy here - albeit only been here 2 months.

One of the aforementioned 3-4 firms is in a tier of its own. Known around the state as being “the best” firm. They pay slightly more than my current firm. I have good reason to believe I’ll get hired there if I shoot over an application. My question is - should I even bother? Partnership prospects are about the same, pay is slightly better, firm is slightly more prestigious in the area.

I can see myself at either firm for 7+ years. The firm I’m not with was my top choice coming in, but they weren’t hiring a few months ago. It pains me that now they are, and like I said I’m still with a top local firm, but not THE TOP local firm. Fwiw, it’s a small market and word gets spread around. At the same time, I feel I may be early enough in my legal career to get a free pass.

Thoughts?
If you're happy where you are I would not leave for "slightly more" money and tertiary market prestige.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:58 pm

Are they hiring in your practice and have you worked across from said firm?

Do you know anyone there to get insight on whether they are happy there? There may be a reason why they weren't hiring a few months ago and are now (i.e., associates leaving for firm-related reasons).

louislittmbajdesq

New

Post by louislittmbajdesq » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:54 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:08 pm
Jeez why are so many people in our profession so unnecessarily obnoxious?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:58 pm

louislittmbajdesq wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:54 pm
sparty99 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:08 pm
Jeez why are so many people in our profession so unnecessarily obnoxious?
either obnoxious or daft enough to not understand the OP was asking for advice

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:33 pm

if you think you'd burn bridges in this small market by leaving 2 m/os in, I'd stay, given the fairly marginal (as you describe it here) benefits of jumping over

Miss-Bubbled

New

Post by Miss-Bubbled » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:20 am

I wouldn’t leave the job if I was happy. You have no idea what you’re going to get at a new firm and slightly more money and prestige isn’t worth the risk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:10 am

it's risky in a small market. for better or worse, people will talk and you do not want a reputation as someone that jumps around too much.

I would give you current firm at least the better part of a year. mull on if you really want to make the change. if so, pull the trigger once you've been there long enough that no one should raise eyebrows.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:54 am

It seems to me that if this is a market you plan to stay in long term, there will be other opportunities to move to this firm in the future if it’s really right for you. Mostly I say this because you’re happy at your current gig and you don’t know that you’d be happy at the other one. If you were actively unhappy where you are, that would be different. The extra money might well be worth it long-term, but it depends how much. I don’t think the minor prestige difference is worth it unless it comes with something specific your current gig lacks (like opportunities for better work, more autonomy, a practice area you can’t do now, etc).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:01 pm

Thoughts?
I'm in Houston, which is a much larger of a market than yours. I also haven't been a lawyer too long now, but I've seen the "prestige" of firms swing wildly -- had I started my career at the top shops (Fulbright and Jaworski (now Norton Rose Fulbright), Baker Botts, Vinson & Elkins), only V&E would now be considered prestigious (in my corporate opinion). NRF is many rungs down, and BB is in a true nose-dive (and V&E is losing folks very, very fast).

Just something to consider. If you are happy (and who knows, you just started), I think you should give it some time to see how things pan out.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:36 am

nixy wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:54 am
It seems to me that if this is a market you plan to stay in long term, there will be other opportunities to move to this firm in the future if it’s really right for you. Mostly I say this because you’re happy at your current gig and you don’t know that you’d be happy at the other one. If you were actively unhappy where you are, that would be different. The extra money might well be worth it long-term, but it depends how much. I don’t think the minor prestige difference is worth it unless it comes with something specific your current gig lacks (like opportunities for better work, more autonomy, a practice area you can’t do now, etc).
This.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:37 pm

Don’t go to Jones Day!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:55 pm

This sounds like you’re talking about Birmingham?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:12 pm

Or almost any small market out there.

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:24 pm

I like the advice of waiting. See if you learn to love a particular practice area, etc., and maybe that other firm is better at it and you go there your 3rd year. Seems worth gathering more info for a couple years, so long as you're happy. Being happy is a rare and important commodity in law firms.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”