What kind of social faux pas will lead to no offers?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What kind of social faux pas will lead to no offers?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:38 pm

What kinds of things SAs will have to say/do to not get a return offer from a historically 100% offer rate firm? (Sometimes I get nervous and say the wrong things/use wrong word choice).

Bosque

Gold

Re: What kind of social faux pas will lead to no offers?

Post by Bosque » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:53 pm

Don't strip down and go for a drunken swim in the Hudson River.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:54 pm

Bosque wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:53 pm
Don't strip down and go for a drunken swim in the Hudson River.
Aquagirl!

legalpotato

Bronze

Post by legalpotato » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:03 pm

Don't say, in response to some diversity program, "where's the white male fellowship program"?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:07 pm

legalpotato wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:03 pm
Don't say, in response to some diversity program, "where's the white male fellowship program"?
That may get you an auto-offer + scholarship at Jones Day

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Silver

Post by 2013 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:07 pm
legalpotato wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:03 pm
That may get you an auto-offer + scholarship at Jones Day
Auto-partnership

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:46 pm

Avoid sexually propositioning your recruiter, I'm told.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:50 pm

Don't grope a recruiter at a firm-wide event (someone in my summer class did this).

Don't say anything that is even vaguely racist or sexist. Just avoid making any comments that could be perceived as offensive based on an immutable characteristic. This should be easy, but I've heard stories...

Don't ask a partner how much their home costs (I witnessed this, although that summer still got an offer).

People will give you a pass for general awkwardness. This is Biglaw after all, if firms no offered awkward people just for being awkward the V5 would cease to exist.

ksm6969

New

Post by ksm6969 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:50 pm

Don’t proposition a wife of a partner (wife of counsel or associate is okay, though).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lesion of Doom

New

Post by Lesion of Doom » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:58 am

Anything #metoo related will elicit a no-offer for certain. Otherwise, just avoid talking about politics, religion, swearing too much or generalizing about people in any way. It's pretty easy to get an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:15 am

Similar question, what will elicit a cold offer? I feel like that is much more likely than doing something so egregious you get a straight no-offer.

thisismytlsuername

New

Post by thisismytlsuername » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:15 am
Similar question, what will elicit a cold offer? I feel like that is much more likely than doing something so egregious you get a straight no-offer.
This is a harder question to answer and varies much more from firm to firm. I've seen cold offers for things like berating wait staff at summer events/dinners and effectively refusing to do even a little bit of substantive work ("Can I get this three-hour assignment to you next week? I have summer events today, tomorrow, Thursday, then I'm going away for a long weekend Friday.").

Basically, try to be as socially normal as you can be, be polite to everyone, be enthusiastic about work assignments and actually try on them (but no need to kill yourself and bill 60 hour weeks), and attend at least some social events.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:15 am
Don't walk out of meetings (yes, multiple) that you've been included in to answer calls from your dog walker. Or, at least lie and say it was your ill mother or something.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:52 am

To confirm, stilted conversation full of awkward pauses (with partners) is probably not no-offer territory?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:52 am
To confirm, stilted conversation full of awkward pauses (with partners) is probably not no-offer territory?
We are lawyers. Aren't all of our conversations awkward?

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:53 pm

Don't get intoxicated to the point where you can't control yourself.

Don't throw up on a partner or otherwise display egregious behavior (e.g. the Latham summer a couple years ago that blew off multiple flights to a firm retreat, then showed up with hookers and blow)

Don't do anything in the general #MeToo category.

Be nice to wait staff and non-lawyer staff members. Display some level of enthusiasm for the firm/doing actual work (but no need to kill yourself working hard).

Basically, there's a super low bar here and getting an offer really comes down to not displaying egregious workplace behavior.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:52 am
This describes almost every conversation I had with partners my summer (except for the couple partners I found a natural fit with, i.e. the ones I ended up working with longterm). Also, at my firm at least, many of the events were sponsored by different practice groups, so anyone I met at a tax event, for example, I literally never spoke to again.

Wouldn't waste any energy worrying about this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:11 pm

SFSpartan wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:53 pm
Don't throw up on a partner or otherwise display egregious behavior (e.g. the Latham summer a couple years ago that blew off multiple flights to a firm retreat, then showed up with hookers and blow)
Please tell us more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:11 pm
SFSpartan wrote:
Please tell us more.
I am pretty sure that would get you equity partnership at Skadden

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:
Please tell us more.
ATL deleted the story. Just google "Latham Summer Fired".

Realistically, it's pretty hard for a summer to get shitcanned/no offered due to a social faux pas -- you have to do something egregious. I've known of a bunch of summers over the years (at my firm and others) who have been shitcanned and it's always been some variation of:

1) doing terrible work for important people (fly low and work for other associates, don't seek out the head of the group like an asshole)

2) getting handsy with other people (both men and women have gotten in trouble for this)

3) getting wasted and then doing dumb shit (summer trying to get up on the stage at a comedy club, aquagirl, etc.)

4) being completely unable to read the room/having terrible judgment (engaging in inflammatory political activity outside of the firm, taking a vacation during the SA, using your firm email to send cease/demand letters for family members in random minor legal disputes)

12YrsAnAssociate

New

Post by 12YrsAnAssociate » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:17 pm

I've seen 2 big mistakes lead to no-offers.

(1) Some people think they need to be stand out by looking funny or cool or snarky. That often backfires in ways that you can imagine. Don't try to be funny or cool or snarky. Bland is totally OK. Be polite and don't worry if you're coming across as not the cool summer.

(2) Some people think they need to stand out by saying yes to every single assignment and working crazy hours. This often backfires because the overloaded summer misses deadlines or turns in bad work. Don't take on too much work. Think of it like this. If you turn in 3 assignments during the summer and they're immaculate, you'll have 3 people voting to keep you and none voting to no offer you based on your work. If you turn in 20 assignments during the summer and they're terrible to hum-ho, you'll have zero people vouching for your work and up to 20 voting to no offer you based on your work. It's OK to say you're busy. In fact, ultimately saying you're busy is how you narrow in on work you like and weed out the work you hate.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:
Please tell us more.

Realistically, it's pretty hard for a summer to get shitcanned/no offered due to a social faux pas -- you have to do something egregious. I've known of a bunch of summers over the years (at my firm and others) who have been shitcanned and it's always been some variation of:

1) doing terrible work for important people (fly low and work for other associates, don't seek out the head of the group like an asshole)

2) getting handsy with other people (both men and women have gotten in trouble for this)

3) getting wasted and then doing dumb shit (summer trying to get up on the stage at a comedy club, aquagirl, etc.)

4) being completely unable to read the room/having terrible judgment (engaging in inflammatory political activity outside of the firm, taking a vacation during the SA, using your firm email to send cease/demand letters for family members in random minor legal disputes)
Solid advice. There's really no upside to seeking out the important folks during summer. From what I've seen they often barely remember even mid-level associates who work for them once the assignment is over, let alone summers. If it's learning you're after, from the experience of my social circle, a good senior will usually teach you more than any given partner will.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:
Please tell us more.

Are the firms monitoring our emails? I know they can, but do they?

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:
Please tell us more.

Are the firms monitoring our emails? I know they can, but do they?
Almost certainly no. If they're monitoring summer emails, they'd probably be monitoring mine and i'm not fired yet.

In addition to not doing any extreme shit like vomiting on someone or being racially/sexually inappropriate, just don't be negative. There was a summer who kept making fun of law students generally as being awkward and lame. Like fine, people do that here (on TLS) and it's true to some degree, but to continually do it in a shitty way like you're not a law student too is bad judgment. Be positive. Regardless if you're talking to or about wait staff, firm staff, other attorneys, other summers, some shitty person at law school, a professor--whoever. Don't voice negative opinions about any of them because it makes people wonder what else you're going to be negative about. Generally, the old rule stands: if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:52 am

Be considerate of others and have good manners. Never lash out and always think before you speak. Ask questions, too. The SA program is to help you learn. Focus on learning and building relationships.

This might just be me but do not curse, even a little. It looks bad for "the kid" to be mouthing off. Even if the partners are foul mouthed, you should never be.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”