NYC Summer Rentals Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYC Summer Rentals

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:17 am

Hi!

Although my SA position is remote this summer, I am still wanting to move to NYC to get a feel for city. Does anyone have recommendations on how or where to rent/sublet a furnished place there? Thanks!

SummerAssociate1689

New

Re: NYC Summer Rentals

Post by SummerAssociate1689 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:34 am

This is a terrible financial decision lol. Save the 6k you would have spent on rent and put it on a Roth IRA or blow it on models and bottles. Either will be a better use of your money than going to NYC solely so you can Zoom in from your expensive Manhattan apartment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:36 am

Local universities open up their dorms for week-to-week summer housing - like NYU: https://housing.nyu.edu/summer/. Check also Pace, Columbia, etc.

Just eyeballing, rates on the dorm housing seem pretty damn expensive. But I think these short-term arrangements (whether university or not) are always priced above market. And the benefit of the dorm is that you don't have to worry about making sketchy arrangements; the check-in process should be pretty smooth and formalized, etc. etc.

Another alternative would be to limit you stay in the city for ~2 weeks and do an Airbnb. As the other commenter mentioned, the case for being in NYC during a Zoom summer is pretty weak.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:09 pm

I think you'd have more fun just doing a long weekend or a week or something visiting if you haven't been before and you're looking to get a feel for the city.
I would zoom from home if I were you and save the money.
You can go in person and visit your firm on that week long vacation.
Congrats on the SA!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:12 pm

Anon that posted this - I only plan on staying a month and I am planning to go at the end of my program so I can meet some other SA's that are going to be there. I'm also planning on staying a couple weeks after my program is over so would really just like to know where I can find a place for short-term furnished rentals.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:29 pm

I’m the dorm housing anon from above

I know you aren’t necessarily soliciting neighborhood recommendations, but I feel like you can take two approaches to this: (a) stay in a place that is maximally cool and fun, or (b) stay in a place where you could see yourself living full-time next year (maybe prioritizing factors like proximity to office over fun exclusively). The advantage of (b) is that you’ll have a more representative picture of living in NYC.

There’s this thread from a short while ago with opinions on NYC neighborhoods: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=309141

StreetEasy is by far the largest rental platform here, but it’s predominantly longer term leases. You hear about people using Craigslist for this kind of thing, or better yet, using FB groups to find nyc students (law or other) who are looking to sub-let their apartments for the summer while they intern in another city. There probably won’t be as much activity as usual since people are mostly staying put for the summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:17 am
Hi!

Although my SA position is remote this summer, I am still wanting to move to NYC to get a feel for city. Does anyone have recommendations on how or where to rent/sublet a furnished place there? Thanks!
NYC is really fun in the summer (esp now with outdoor dining). Craigslist is still king but there are furnished sublets on listingsproject as well. Alternatively you could look in to corporate apartments. Those are always furnished. Don’t do Airbnb. It’s super shady in NYC because of how illegal it is.

Also definitely pick a place where you can experience city life. I’d say upper west Manhattan near Central Park, cobble hill/boerum hill (walkable to prospect park), greenpoint (McCarren park and tons of outdoor drinking) or West village, Greenwich village, east village, gramercy if you can swing it.

Fun Nyc activities are: bars on boats (including the Willy wall), farmers markets, outdoor movie screenings, prospect park bandshell concerts, backyard bars and beer gardens, beautiful parks, metropolitan opera concerts outdoors, weekend trips to Long Island or day trips to Long Beach, public tennis courts, taking the metro north to go hiking, enjoying your neighborhood being emptier (hopefully all a thing this summer!)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:53 pm

Wasn't initially planning on moving to the city initially but seems like a lot of people from my school are. Is there any work-related reason to move?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”